Who ....?

Since the beginnings of DCI there have been many changes in drum and bugle corps. What person? Corps? In what era made contributions to change from the drum corps of pre-1972 to what we have seen since?

Names like Royer, Jones, Zingali, Brubaker, etc. Santa Clara, Madison, Concord, Garfield, etc

"Pre DCI":

St Vincent's Cadets were THE "Great Grandparent" of "Modern" drum and bugle corps. The Bayonne NJ parish corps with instructors Jim Donnelly, Lou Cerbonne, and Mickey Petronne pretty well revolutionized junior drum and bugle corps in the early 1950's.

They were many times VFW and American Legion junior National Champions, as well as taking both NJ State titles in several undefeated seasons.

They founded the "National Dream Contest" at legendary Roosevelt Stadium.

Shako's off to the memory of the "Big Green Band" and "Big Green Wave".

Elphaba

• Like 1

John Thirion - Des Plaines Vanguard percussion instructor/arranger - Expanded/innovated instrumentation in percussion.

Don Angelica - Expanded repertiores into more challenging areas. Pushed contra bass development.

Ken Norman - Worked tirelessly toward adoption of G-F-F# standard for bugles. A major improvement.

And so many more.

• Like 1

Jim Donnelly was my first bugle instructor, in 1960 at Xavier High School. I was such a raw rookie I didn't know who he was and had never even heard of St. Vincent's, though there were members within my own school corps.

The man could teach a tree how to play. I know. I was thick as a redwood.

Later, wiser folks hipped me to some of his accomplishments as arranger and to the fact that, along with Caesar La Monica, he had "invented" the bell-front French Horn bugle. (Man, do I miss that glorious sound.)

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

Later, wiser folks hipped me to some of his accomplishments as arranger and to the fact that, along with Caesar La Monica, he had "invented" the bell-front French Horn bugle. (Man, do I miss that glorious sound.)

Me, too.

In the right hands, those marching Frenchies were a great asset to the classic "drum corps sound."

Played French horn 11 of the 12 seasons I marched, in junior and DCA. One season on mellophone... and I hated it. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring

"French Horn Sound";

Can you say Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer. Their list of acomplishments in both senior and junior corps is huge. St Catherne's Queensmen, Lady of Loretto Knights, St Raphael's Buccaneers, Connecticut Royal Lancers and Milford Police Cadets, were all taught by "Jumpin Joe", as well as the Connecticut Hurricanes and Hawthorne Caballeros.

Hy Drietzers juniors included St Joseph's Patron Cadets/Brassmen, Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles, Garfield Cadets, CMCC Warriors and DesPlaines Vanguard, with his arrangements and instruction of the New York Skyliners pretty well granting him immortality.

It was my great privlege to have BOTH of these legends as my instructor in junior corps.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

"French Horn Sound";

Can you say Joe Genero and Hy Drietzer. Their list of acomplishments in both senior and junior corps is huge. St Catherne's Queensmen, Lady of Loretto Knights, St Raphael's Buccaneers, Connecticut Royal Lancers and Milford Police Cadets, were all taught by "Jumpin Joe", as well as the Connecticut Hurricanes and Hawthorne Caballeros.

Hy Drietzers juniors included St Joseph's Patron Cadets/Brassmen, Floyd Bennet Golden Eagles, CMCC Warriors and DesPlaines Vanguard, with his arrangements and instruction of the New York Skyliners pretty well granting him immortality.

It was my great privlege to have BOTH of these legends as my instructor in junior corps.

Elphaba

One of the main reasons I joined the Sunrisers for the 1977 season was that they were bringing back French horns.

Our main arranger during my time there... John Arietano... did some great writing for our midrange brass.... mellophones and Frenchies. He really challenged us in the French horn line with some hellacious stuff.

Sometimes we would be a lower mellophone voice... sometimes an upper baritone voice... sometimes our own voice. And quite often, all three during any given song. Made it fun for us in the line!!!

Edited by Fran Haring