Who ....?

Keith Markey

"Back to the Future":

Truman Crawford.

Writer/arranger/instructor of WAY too many corps to begin to mention. To name a few "Standouts": USAF Bolling AFB corps, USMC "8th & I" corps, National Champions at both the junior and senior levels with the Chicago Royal Airs, Hawthorne Caballeros and Baltimore Yankee Rebels.

Responsible for the legendary "Requiem for an Era" production that Yankee Rebels performed starting in 1969.

Taught , judged for DCI and composed for the Marines well into the 1990's.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

William Edward "Pete" Emmons changed drill writing forever when he began designing for Santa Clara in the '70s. When he was guard instructor for Garfield, his collaboration with Bobby Hoffman produced moments like the Peace Sign and that iconic Revolutionary War "theme" show.

(Being in a room with the two of them was the drum corps equivalent of having a drink with Leonardo da Vinci at Michaelangelo's house. Later, their disciples, Zingali and Sylvester would reprise that act.)

There was such grace and logic in Pete's drills that transitions simply disappeared. One could capture a still shot at any point and see a polished picture, a completed visual idea.

And then there was that little matter of figuring out how to get the SCV rifle line to interpret the Bottle Dance. After that, he decided the best way to handle "The Planets" was to create a model of the solar system and have it drift across the field while rotating inside an asymmetrical universe.

There was always something extra-terrestrial about this guy.

• Like 1

The Cadets, as a corps in the early 1980s, when they cranked up the velocity on their visual show.

• Like 1

William Edward "Pete" Emmons changed drill writing forever when he began designing for Santa Clara in the '70s. When he was guard instructor for Garfield, his collaboration with Bobby Hoffman produced moments like the Peace Sign and that iconic Revolutionary War "theme" show.

(Being in a room with the two of them was the drum corps equivalent of having a drink with Leonardo da Vinci at Michaelangelo's house. Later, their disciples, Zingali and Sylvester would reprise that act.)

Ironlips is being entirely too modest..his wonderful brass charts, and the amazing (and IMO historically under-appreciated) George Tuthill on percussion, were just as integral as Pete and Bobby in creating this amazing show...I am glad I got to be a marching member that year.

Ironlips is being entirely too modest..his wonderful brass charts, and the amazing (and IMO historically under-appreciated) George Tuthill on percussion, were just as integral as Pete and Bobby in creating this amazing show...I am glad I got to be a marching member that year.

Completely agree, on all the people you mentioned here!!!

George Tuthill not only did that wonderful work with Cadets... but also with DCA's Caballeros during that era. A great percussion writer.

Edited by Fran Haring

Completely agree, on all the people you mentioned here!!!

George Tuthill not only did that wonderful work with Cadets... but also with DCA's Caballeros during that era. A great percussion writer.

That's right...he was doing both corps for a while. After Garfield let him go after 71, a good chunk of the drumline quit and went over to the Cabs. I switched to horn. I mean...who would want to be in a drumline taught by Fred Sanford! :augen51:

That's right...he was doing both corps for a while. After Garfield let him go after 71, a good chunk of the drumline quit and went over to the Cabs. I switched to horn. I mean...who would want to be in a drumline taught by Fred Sanford! :augen51:

Yeah, that Sanford guy was no good....LOL

My brother-in-law marched in Cabs' drum line in 1972 and '73. George Tuthill writing, Jack Pratt as the cleanup guy. A great team... they put out some really good lines.

• Like 1

Yeah, that Sanford guy was no good....LOL

My brother-in-law marched in Cabs' drum line in 1972 and '73. George Tuthill writing, Jack Pratt as the cleanup guy. A great team... they put out some really good lines.

Jack was an amazing guy. When I taught the King's Regiment (merger of the Wayne Monarchs and Greenwood lake Lakers) in 1977, I wrote the percussion book and worked with the timpani and mallets, and Jack worked with the battery. I spent a LOT of time at his house in Hawthorne. He had an amazing LP record collection...if you mentioned a symphony, he'd ask which orchestra and conductor you wanted to hear, and he'd go get the record.

He was also a collector of classic comic books before it was a "thing"; He had Spiderman 1, Superman 1, etc...I always wondered just how much his collection was worth in later years.

Our second percussion feature I arranged was a brass quintet and percussion piece derived from a William Walton orchestral work...Jack had suggested it. I forget the name right now. Our first was a DeBussy piece called "Golliwog's Cakewalk" from a suite he had written, "Children's Corner", that featured the marching bells and xylo, plus battery, of course.

Edited by MikeD
  • Like 1