C2 vs everyone

I don't think there is really that much of an advantage to capping the age limit of a corps.

Sure the younger "kids" might be able to do more physically and fitness wise, but then you lack the maturity, musicality, and experience you would get from "adults."

So is it really that big of an "advantage" against the typical all-age corps?

Honestly, I can't answer that. But I'm sure we will get quite of few opinions on this forum! :bigsmile:

I do not think the age thing of being younger has hurt : SC Vanguard Cadets or Blue Devils B at all. They beat a lot of Corps in the Upper Class of DCI.

If C2 wins DCA as a specific age corps, can the corps that comes in 2nd actually be 1st in all age?

I gather they didn't perform at the DCI Allentown show tonight, despite being listed on the schedule (even now). is that a strategic move (presumably they rehearsed instead tonight?) that will pay off in spades later, or a hint that maybe they're not quite ready to win the big event this year after all?

I gather they didn't perform at the DCI Allentown show tonight, despite being listed on the schedule (even now). is that a strategic move (presumably they rehearsed instead tonight?) that will pay off in spades later, or a hint that maybe they're not quite ready to win the big event this year after all?

I tend to agree somewhat with Big W. With 4th of July weekend coming up starting early on a Thursday would make this into a 5 day weekend for them sort od defeats the purpose of being weekends only. I have seen DCA Corps doing exhibitions on a Weeknight at a DCI show and the results usually are not pretty. Showing up and hitting the field without seeing your other corps members for a week and not having practice time before the show makes a good performance difficult and a poor showing may hurt future recruiting etc.

I do not think the age thing of being younger has hurt : SC Vanguard Cadets or Blue Devils B at all. They beat a lot of Corps in the Upper Class of DCI.

I would say scheduling wise especially these week night contest.. It's easier for these kids to ask off for their burger flipping jobs than it is the adults. I know when we had to take the corps on a overnight for a weekday show we wound up with holes. Employers like their "seniors" and need their "seniors" at the desk. Not so much when someone wears a name tag.

Either way... we'll get some answers starting tomorrow at the Maryland show!!!

those two corps don't have young kids in them. They have some high schoolers but they are not the feeder corps they used to be. There are plenty of college age performers in those groups as they enjoy the time commitment and tour fees over the more demanding A corps.

• Like 1

I don't think there is really that much of an advantage to capping the age limit of a corps.

Sure the younger "kids" might be able to do more physically and fitness wise, but then you lack the maturity, musicality, and experience you would get from "adults."

So is it really that big of an "advantage" against the typical all-age corps?

Honestly, I can't answer that. But I'm sure we will get quite of few opinions on this forum! :bigsmile:

I think funding is the main component of this with grants being available for youth oriented groups that are not offered for groups that cater to those over 21.

I also think that when you have lots of young able bodies, you can have more demand versus the 35+ year old bodies. this may not apply to everyone 35+, but bodies heal and recover quicker and are more flexible when you are young. With the complexity of the shows being designed, this could be an advantage.

I tend to agree somewhat with Big W. With 4th of July weekend coming up, starting early on a Thursday would make this into a five-day weekend for them--sort of defeats the purpose of being weekends-only. I have seen DCA corps doing exhibitions on a weeknight at a DCI show, and the results usually are not pretty. Showing up and hitting the field without seeing your other corps members for a week, and not having practice time before the show, makes a good performance difficult, and a poor showing may hurt future recruiting etc.

Good points. I certainly don't want to make too much of it. It was just a bit surprising that they had planned to appear at this show in the first place, and were still listed on the schedule.

Ok, now I have gone full circle (good song). Thanks Mello Evan. It goes to my original point. If they are searching 22 and under why not just be an open class dci corps. Mind you, I don't want them to do that, but why a specific age in an all age category?

Or, (my original post) if they win at championships, let the first runner up all age corps get first in all age.

Off this subject, what uni's are they wearing. I am sure they will look great...

Because there aren't enough east weekend shows they can get into. DCA works out perfectly