Is becoming a DCI contributor worth it for finals tickets?

21 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

Perhaps Jeff Ream, or someone else, can confirm or debunk.

It's my understanding that Friends of DCI seat locations are (or at least used to be) assigned based on length of time as a member in Friends of DCI. Meaning someone who's been in for many years gets better seats than someone who just signed up this season, like Xena45.

length of membership and also level of sponsorship were the two keys. First few years in the seats weren't as great as they were later

10 minutes ago, Xena45 said:

Yes, I believe that's the case. it's just good information to know. I wish that I'd known the reality of the situation, and I could have tried my luck getting Super 3 seats that could have been as good or better maybe. Last year when I was researching this, people recommended that the best way to be assured good seats was to become a friend, so that's what I did. Good seats are pretty important to me. I've been in pretty consistent communication with DCI since I submitted my paperwork, and they seemed so positive and accommodating that I expected something better. I didn't know about this glass panel issue. Plenty of other stadiums manage to deal with safety issues in other, maybe better, ways.

even as a newer member of Friends, your seats are probably still better than Super 3 options. 

• Like 1

I believe that tenure/seniority does not cross levels. For example someone with 20 years membership at the gold level will not have seniority over someone with 2 years at the platinum level.

At least on Thursday we can pretty much sit wherever we want. It's something. And our hotel is super close, which is also good.

And, I'm pretty happy about the Midwestern tour this year. We're looking forward to Whitewater, Madison, and Rockford. We have GREAT seats for those shows!

2 hours ago, Mr. Fab said:

I believe that tenure/seniority does not cross levels. For example someone with 20 years membership at the gold level will not have seniority over someone with 2 years at the platinum level.

This is correct.

To the (new) OP, Mr. Xena:  the plexiglass is no big deal.  I know exactly the seats that Kathy is warning you about, and she warns even the Platinum Friends members of the same thing.  It's just not the big deal you're thinking it is.  And your sound will not be affected at all - not in LOS.

IMO, you should not worry about the time you'll have with your folks; they'll have a ball anyway and Ream is right (also IMO), your first year Friends seats are likely better than any Super-3 because the Friends block is always set prior to opening seats to Super-3 sales.

Keep the seats, go to the LOS, enjoy the ambiance, and thrill to the shows.  You won't likely be disappointed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, garfield said:

To the (new) OP, Mr. Xena:  the plexiglass is no big deal.  I know exactly the seats that Kathy is warning you about, and she warns even the Platinum Friends members of the same thing.  It's just not the big deal you're thinking it is.  And your sound will not be affected at all - not in LOS.

Keep the seats, go to the LOS, enjoy the ambiance, and thrill to the shows.  You won't likely be disappointed.

Garfield, thank you for the reassurance! I suspect we WILL still go, and I will be glad to have had the warning about the plexiglass when we get to our seats.  I know this isn't her fault - she's been nothing but courteous and forthcoming about the issues. I happen to be super picky about seats! 

It's been a long time since we've been to finals; I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by Xena45

19 hours ago, garfield said:

This is correct.

IMO, you should not worry about the time you'll have with your folks; they'll have a ball anyway and Ream is right (also IMO), your first year Friends seats are likely better than any Super-3 because the Friends block is always set prior to opening seats to Super-3 sales.

Have to disagree with the plexiglass, the higher in the stadium one goes. Sight line problems in first three rows; often plexiglass is filthy, maybe not in those rich seats where you are seated. Sound is often dullened/softened in the higher sections which also suffer from the bounce-back the closer one gets to the dome-roof (600's.)  One person's experience--yours or mine- is valid for the seats where we each have sat.  But LOS is NOT a "one size fits all" type of place.

2 hours ago, xandandl said:

Have to disagree with the plexiglass, the higher in the stadium one goes. Sight line problems in first three rows; often plexiglass is filthy, maybe not in those rich seats where you are seated. Sound is often dullened/softened in the higher sections which also suffer from the bounce-back the closer one gets to the dome-roof (600's.)  One person's experience--yours or mine- is valid for the seats where we each have sat.  But LOS is NOT a "one size fits all" type of place.

"Flash forward to April 2019, and we've been assigned seats that look good on a map (low down in a 200 section, probably within the 40 yard line)"

We'll let the poster decide whether your comments relate to him or not.

Your classist comments are, again, noted but are not pertinent to the poster's concerns.

On 4/30/2016 at 11:14 AM, sched88 said:

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice. I looked at the seats for 2016 finals and all of the premium seats near the 50-yard line are sold out. Maybe it would just be better to buy the 3-day package as soon as the seats go on sale like I did in 2009. I don't want to buy a membership and end up having the same kind of seats as I would if I weren't a member.

I got some info last year while at finals that they were planning on giving more preference to the friends of dci who have been friends a looooong time vs giving preference  to a one time heavy hitter donater.  I was going to join until I heard that .