Is becoming a DCI contributor worth it for finals tickets?

One of the nicest and most generous people I've ever met let me and my nephews sit in the seats he he got for finals as a friend of dci. 

As far as I know, he's not a friend of dci anymore and hasn't been for a long time, but is still a huge drum corps fan.

I don't want to put words in anybody's mouth, but he didn't seem to think it was worth it anymore.   

• Like 1

On 4/25/2019 at 1:36 PM, Triple Forte said:

I got some info last year while at finals that they were planning on giving more preference to the friends of dci who have been friends a looooong time vs giving preference  to a one time heavy hitter donater.  I was going to join until I heard that . 

A corporate-level donor will almost always get placement above a long-term member of a lower donor level.  So, if your intent was to make a big donation to buy into a higher level, you only need to "compete" with the longer-term members of the same level, not the donors (regardless of time as a member) in levels below - go ahead and sign up!

It's reasonable to presume that the Friends program is likely to go through a refresh relatively soon if, for no other reason, there hasn't been a contribution level readjustment in about a decade.  And, IMO, the program will always give a preference to higher contributors over length of time in the program even as they consider "length-in-service" for all donors.  

Can't expect drum corps to keep their incomes ahead of price inflation and not expect ticket prices to do the same.

Edited by garfield

My Friends seat last year was section 239, row 2, aisle seat 1. It's a level 2 obstruction, but was a great seat. After a few minutes, the plexiglass didn't bother me. Nearly everything I watched was over the barrier, not through it.

Two big benefits for me: (1) The staff at LOS paid good attention to keeping stragglers from entering the Friends section, and (2) 200 sections are up a few steps, and I had a clear view of the field with no one in front of me obstructing it.

I would have taken that seat again, but it wasn't available. Instead, I was offered 239, row 2, seat 16, aisle on the end of 239 closer to the 50. I turned that down in part because I think the barrier is more prominent there (plexiglass + a handrail) and also in part because I just wanted to try section 100 to get closer to the field and sound.

Understand the OP's frustration, but I think it won't be as bad as you imagine right now. You'll enjoy good shows and have a nice perspective on drill.

You know, for those precious few moments when a DCI show features real drill.😁

• Like 1

Yeah, we're in 239, row 3, on the aisle close to the 40. A level 3 obstruction.  I was told that the entire left third of the field will be behind the plexiglass - from the 40 yard line over. I'm super bummed. I wish I'd known this when Super 3 tickets went on sale... i didn't even bother to look and see what was available at that time. I thought being a Friend  would be enough.  :(

Edited by Xena45

These comments lead me to believe there will be an attempt by many to order their tickets sooner for future finals in order to get away from some obstruction possibilities.  Has LOS added more plexiglass?

Got a call back to change Friends seats. Maybe an easy thing for DCI to do since I'm buying just one set of tickets. Now in back row of 140. Closest I've been to 50 yard line. So will be great to see SCV take first again. Followed closely by Cavies, Madison, and Phantom!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 4:23 PM, mjoakes said:

Got a call back to change Friends seats. Maybe an easy thing for DCI to do since I'm buying just one set of tickets. Now in back row of 140. Closest I've been to 50 yard line. So will be great to see SCV take first again. Followed closely by Cavies, Madison, and Phantom!

I’m in the first row of 140.  I’ll keep the bottom half in line.  You’re in charge of the top half.  😂 😆 😝 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1