Scenario: Pick one video clip that showcases to a noob what DC is all

Scenario: You have to pick one clip that you will use to sell drum corps to a friend who has never seen nor heard of it. You have to be confident enough in your choice that your friend would, at the very least, agree to check out a show with you.

For me, it would be the Bluecoats' closer from Tilt.

• Like 1

SCV 87....either Russian Xmas Music or Great Gate at Kiev.

OMG yes! That was a glorious drumcorps show! Great pick 84BDSop!
  • Like 1

First off, I would keep the clip, brief.

Secondly, I would not show just one Corps, nor one segment, from one Corps.

I suppose, the best overall clip is the brief clip DCI has on its front page of its website. The clip shows what Drum Corps ( DCI's version of it, anyway) is all about. if your quest is to generate sufficient interest to have them want to attend a show live in the future, DCI's clip does a good job of explaining what DCI Drum Corps is all about ( and shows multiple Corps in the process, and the diversity that is available ).

• Like 2

Scenario: You have to pick one clip that you will use to sell drum corps to a friend who has never seen nor heard of it. You have to be confident enough in your choice that your friend would, at the very least, agree to check out a show with you.

For me, it would be the Bluecoats' closer from Tilt.

I'd probably have to go with the end of Cadets 2000: the sop thing, the tenor thing, the badazzz ending. Even 16 years later I don't think that chunk of show has aged at all & would still blow newbies away

• Like 1

SCV 87....either Russian Xmas Music or Great Gate at Kiev.

First, I can't stress enough how much I love that show: it's a testament to the design & performance that a freaking perfect drum score was what it took for Garfield to (barely) beat that SCV classic!

HOWEVER...

I don't think that show has aged very well. The costuming of the characters alone is almost laughably goofy when looking at it with 2016 eyes. I personally would likely work my way up to showing that that show with a noob: hook them with some of the more awesome moments from modern shows, and then once they're all-in show them some of the all-time greatest classic shows/clips like SCV 87.

FWIW I think 1987 is my all-time favorite #1 & #2 (and maybe even 1-2-3 as Cavaliers really had a great show/run as well)

I don't think that show has aged very well. The costuming of the characters alone is almost laughably goofy when looking at it with 2016 eyes.

if its a " newbie " totally unfamiliar with DCI Drum Corps, most all of the costuming is probably going to seem laughingly goofy to the majority of " newbies " you show a clip to.( if we are honest about it ) So my suggestion would be to not make the costuming a factor in which clip one decides to eventually use for the newbie.

Edited by BRASSO

if its a " newbie " totally unfamiliar with DCI Drum Corps, most all of the costuming is probably going to seem laughingly goofy to the majority of " newbies " you show a clip to.( if we are honest about it ) So my suggestion would be to not make the costuming a factor in which clip one decides to eventually use for the newbie.

I guess I can see that, but I really think those backdrops & 'character' costumes just look low rent/ghetto/bad in 2016. Awesome for its era, but not-so-much now.

Also, if we're taking this way too seriously, we have to talk about what type of noob: HS or college bando? Lady-of-the-street w/zero music experience? The nice silver-haired couple who have season subscription to the symphony? The guy who plays drums for an amazing jazz fusion group? Whom you're showing it too would potentially radically alter what clip you show.

Unless you go for the flashy, in-your-face type of thing that nearly anyone can get into & appreciate: like Cadets 2000, or maybe some cool Scouts stuff from the 90s, or something like that with the broadest appeal. I've tried to show HS band students SCV 87 before (because, again, the brass ruled, the percussion would've won most other years, and it's a great vis design for its time) and they literally laughed at those backdrops & costumes. They couldn't see past that (until I played them just the music). Maybe my mom would appreciate that kind of thing more than modern HS kids; she definitely loved Cadets 2000 though (and plenty of Scouts shows in the 90s)