Scenario: Pick one video clip that showcases to a noob what DC is all

Although BD 2014 is a great show and deserves a high score I think that for me INK is the ultimate BD production. Sure it is not as clean but it has elements that far exceeds Felliniesque.

That show pulled the heart right out of my chest!!!!

I've been thinking about this lately and I'm intrigued by a less than traditional choice: showing someone Crossmen 1992, 1993, and 1994 all in a row (the trilogy). All great shows, just the right amount of theme, ton of variety, really representational of great drum corps (even today) in my opinion.

The gently comic early Fellini works have aged best. A lot of later Fellini, after 8 1/2 (1963), really is pretentious and inaccessible (Satyricon, for instance)--just the sort of thing that inspired this 1991 commercial:

Sure, the attitude there is a bit vulgarian, like Britney Spears' infamous complaint ("Sundance is weird. The movies are weird--you actually have to think about them when you watch them."), but sometimes even a good artist goes off the rails and totally loses the audience in the course of his navel gazing.

And BD's show, which is wonderful (although I liked both Crown and Bloo more in 2014), succeeds much more as pure drum corps than as anything really Felliniesque. The more that BD explained that show--or the more that Channel3 tries to advocate for it on these forums--the less interesting it seemed. As the old saying goes: trust the tale, not the teller.

And we all know how Bud Dry captured America's heart :tounge2:

I should have clarified: the redditor admitted that he had never seen a Fellini film. He just based his opinion of Fellini's works off of BD's show. So yeah ... vulgarian in the truest sense.

To be fair: I'm not much of a Fellini expert myself. I've seen three of his films: Dolce Vita, 8 1/2, and Amarcord (which I enjoyed quite a bit, but not as much as the other two). I'm in no rush to watch his whole filmography, but I definitely wasn't bored by these three.

I totally get where you're coming from, however. Some of the best auteurs aren't immune from making self-indulgent crap.

Regarding BD 2014: 100 percent agreement. There's just something about the underlying emotions/attitude within the show that just charms the hell out so many who watch it.

edit - formatting, grammar, everything.

Edited by ShutUpAndPlayYerGuitar
  • Like 1

Interesting question but my choice would 10 Minutes the documentary about BD

Although BD 2014 is a great show and deserves a high score I think that for me INK is the ultimate BD production. Sure it is not as clean but it has elements that far exceeds Felliniesque.

Especially their finals run; that corps seemed to be hungry and 'went for it' to unseat the semifinal winners. People can take the side of "crown had a flat show" or whatnot, but BD really seemed to be on fire finals night (from what I heard/saw online)

• Like 2

Call me crazy, but I've used this video as a way to describe the entire activity, not just a particular show. Often folks will look at a show clip and immediately have questions like:

What college is this from?

How much do they get paid?

Are they all professional musicians?

This video, more than any other, is short and to the point (even if it's a fundraising video) and explains the activity better than anything else I've come across.

Plus, the opening clip of the Scouts marching into Lucas Field where you see the 19,000 or so fans really gives you goose bumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYViMeRZisA

I try to fashion my choice based on the person I'm showing, if I know anything at all about them. My wife, then girlfriend, loves Phantom of the Opera, so I showed her SCV 1988. My nephew is on the ROTC drill team, so I went Cavaliers "Machine" and some 70's shows to illustrate the precision. In the past, people who have no idea about marching anything have responded well to Velvet Knights, Crown's Rock Star show, BD 1999, stuff like that. In all cases, the person wanted to see more, and in a few cases went to a live show with me.

Agree, INK was really strong and quite emotional!