No Live Coverage of DCA this year

My guess is that since they're not producing and selling DVD's/Blu-rays, the cost to transport, set up and staff the equipment most likely makes the live feed a money-losing endeavor.

If ticket sales are dwindling, there's no reason to put up a live feed. That just discourages people from actually attending. I can understand blacking out the broadcast for the first 150 miles, but that's a cost I'm certain DCA can't afford. Heck they could barely afford an OK feed last year.

Now there is potential to think that perhaps, they're saving their pennies by cutting the live feed and its music fees, in return to put that towards a finals DVD instead. That might be a longshot, but its possible. Just because they aren't selling 2015 dvds, doesn't mean they aren't trying for a 2016 dvd.

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 1

With the way the copyrights are now. I going with the, probably not seeing a DVD in the future. The videos that are even made for promotion (Behind The Bull Call) has to have everything in check. You probably will not hear any show music in any of them.

Well, unless you can figure out a way for DCA to generate millions of dollars per year, I'm not sure what the alternative is.

No, I understand that this is Tresona's fault. DCA used to be able to afford streaming and DVDs; now they can't, and the reason is obviously that Tresona decided to put the prices out of DCA's reach.

That doesn't change the fact that in a digital age, DCA needs a much better media presence if it's going to survive.

(And even allowing for the fact that there is no DCA staff, the organization probably could do rather a better job with its public relations.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

No, I understand that this is Tresona's fault. DCA used to be able to afford streaming and DVDs; now they can't, and the reason is obviously that Tresona decided to put the prices out of DCA's reach.

Blaming Tresona may be the easy thing to do, but it may not even be accurate. It's far more likely that DCA doesn't see a way to provide live streams or media based on the number of media/streams they sold. Obviously if it's not in the black, they idea is a non starter. I'd bet last year's streams didn't sell nearly enough to pay for the investment (no inside info here, just a guess).

The fact that DCA and thier media/stream producers have to comply with copyright law isn't Tresona's fault, it's just the reality of doing business.

Edited by Kamarag

geezuz. stop blaming the publishers. years of "asking for forgiveness" helped put drum corps in this place.

this isn't a drum corps specific problem. its music industry wide.

the other problem is the lack of funding to do this. dwindling ticket sales, even lesser dvd sales, and an ever shrinking audience likely are all part of the problem.

My hunch is with the change in media production costs went up. Mike was probably too generous in what he charged.

Here's the kicker for DCA: this is lost money. People who had no desire to go to Rochester now won't be going OR paying to watch at home. There were technical issues with prelims in year one which was the venues fault. No major glitches since that.

I don't know how many people paid for the stream. But DCA now goes from getting $100 from me to $0 if they aren't doing it.

DCA needs to look hard in the mirror at the business model because as business around them changes, they don't seem to be. And it's slowly strangling them

• Like 3

Blaming Tresona may be he easy thing to do, but it may not even be accurate. It's far more likely that DCA doesn't see a way to provide live streams or media based on the number of media/streams they sold. Obviously if it's not in the black, they idea is a non starter. I'd bet last year's streams didn't sell nearly enough to pay for the investment (no inside info here, just a guess).

The fact that DCA and thier media/stream producers have to comply with copyright law isn't Tresona's fault, it's just the reality of doing business.

As regards your second point, as far as we know, DCA was complying with copyright law through 2014. Then Tresona came on the scene, and in 2015 there were no DVDs.

As regards your first point, I can say as easily what you did about what I wrote: "it may not even be accurate". DCA certainly thought they could afford to produce DVDs for 2015 . . . until late in the fall when they realized that they couldn't.

Admittedly this goes back to my earlier point about DCA not being very forthcoming with information.

As we all know, what's going to happen now is that neither DCA nor the composers represented by Tresona, et al. are going to get any money for video of the corps, but there will in fact be video of the corps online. (DCA is not going to be able to ban people from bring phones into the stadiums; nor do they have sufficient staff to catch most of the people who surreptitiously film the corps. And as noted in a thread in the DCI forums, removal of Youtube videos is "whack-a-mole".)

Edited by N.E. Brigand