No Live Coverage of DCA this year

Whatever does or does not happen . . . the short answer is laws and lawyers.

-Larry Harper, Jr.

Executive Director

Carolina Gold

Yup, That's about it in a nutshell.

Jay

Bush

Edited by HBD

Which tells us, the fans, nothing.

And sure, the fans aren't "entitled" to any information. I get that. But as fans, if we're not happy, shouldn't we make our concerns known?

I mean, can't DCA get a lawyer to advise them how to properly explain the situation to the public? There's got to be a way to lay it all out that doesn't involve DCA admitting to any guilt. Something like, "Tresona thinks we didn't properly pay them for streaming. We disagree. Unfortunately, unless we agree to send them many thousands of dollars in back payments, they have said that licensing for DVDs will cost four times more than they used to. We don't believe that people are willing to pay $400 for Finals DVDs, so we aren't able to publish them."

But that's just my idle speculation. And until we know, that speculation is just going to keep happening.

Which tells us, the fans, nothing.

And sure, the fans aren't "entitled" to any information. I get that. But as fans, if we're not happy, shouldn't we make our concerns known?

I mean, can't DCA get a lawyer to advise them how to properly explain the situation to the public? There's got to be a way to lay it all out that doesn't involve DCA admitting to any guilt. Something like, "Tresona thinks we didn't properly pay them for streaming. We disagree. Unfortunately, unless we agree to send them many thousands of dollars in back payments, they have said that licensing for DVDs will cost four times more than they used to. We don't believe that people are willing to pay $400 for Finals DVDs, so we aren't able to publish them."

But that's just my idle speculation. And until we know, that speculation is just going to keep happening.

If I recall, the live streaming was supplied through and/or in conjunction and/or cooperation with the DCI Fan Network. so............it could be deemed a system wide issue within the whole activity itself, not simply DCA. A domino effect, of sorts.

• Like 1

My hunch is with the change in media production costs went up. Mike was probably too generous in what he charged.

Here's the kicker for DCA: this is lost money. People who had no desire to go to Rochester now won't be going OR paying to watch at home. There were technical issues with prelims in year one which was the venues fault. No major glitches since that.

I don't know how many people paid for the stream. But DCA now goes from getting $100 from me to $0 if they aren't doing it.

DCA needs to look hard in the mirror at the business model because as business around them changes, they don't seem to be. And it's slowly strangling them

How many $100 would it cost DCA to create the stream versus how many $100 would they take in from folks like you, as your first sentence intimated?

>>Whatever does or does not happen . . . the short answer is laws and lawyers.<<

The rumor mill has it that SONY is suing DCA and is really putting down the clamps on "performance" rights for the tunes being played this season - everywhere ... unknown if SONY is going directly after the individual corps as well ... is that what's meant by laws and lawyers?

My apologies if I have this all wrong ...

If that's true, I wonder if there's a lawyer here who can access the information on that suit and explain it to us.

On The Lord of the Rings forums I frequent, when the Tolkien Estate sued New Line for not paying certain royalties on the 2001-2003 film trilogy, a Tolkien fan/scholar* who works in California as an attorney wrote several articles explaining the court documents and their implications: whether or not they might prevent The Hobbit from being filmed, for instance. (Given the finished product, it would probably have been better were they not!) The suit was eventually settled for an undisclosed amount. Here is a similar article he wrote for that site about a more recent lawsuit the Tolkien Estate filed to prevent the commercialization of Tolkien's works in such things as Lord of the Rings slot machines.

*He wrote a very useful book examining the construction of The Silmarillion of 1977 from the source texts presented in The History of Middle-earth series.

How many $100 would it cost DCA to create the stream versus how many $100 would they take in from folks like you, as your first sentence intimated?

I don't know the math. I'm guessing at this point per their math they'd lose money

If that's true, I wonder if there's a lawyer here who can access the information on that suit and explain it to us.

On The Lord of the Rings forums I frequent, when the Tolkien Estate sued New Line for not paying certain royalties on the 2001-2003 film trilogy, a Tolkien fan/scholar* who works in California as an attorney wrote several articles explaining the court documents and their implications: whether or not they might prevent The Hobbit from being filmed, for instance. (Given the finished product, it would probably have been better were they not!) The suit was eventually settled for an undisclosed amount. Here is a similar article he wrote for that site about a more recent lawsuit the Tolkien Estate filed to prevent the commercialization of Tolkien's works in such things as Lord of the Rings slot machines.

*He wrote a very useful book examining the construction of The Silmarillion of 1977 from the source texts presented in The History of Middle-earth series.

Try using PACER to see if there is anything to be found.

Love the "people won't come if they can watch it at home" feeling I get from some.....

Ah NO!!

Well absolutely no $$$ for DCA this year and not by choice..... Only $$$ will go to a corps and won't even ####### be able to see them...

i'm not going home option or not, but if DCA is going to lose $$, i get it. not happy about it, but i get it. that says to me some serious marketing needs to be done as well as finding a finals location people want to go to ( and is near corps)

• Like 6