YouTube, copyright and DCI

Please remember, this happens with music of all sorts. not just dci, dca, marching bands... etc.

it happens with old music videos, cover bands, comedians, etc etc etc

• Like 1

Not quite accurate: The Copyright Holder actually can legally hold the fan accountable for videoing a rehearsal and uploading it to the internet without their, the Copyright Holder's, specific authorization.

Also, if corps do not engage in their own policing of non-authorized videoing/posting of their rehearsals they are likely to have a hard time securing future arranging permissions granted from Copyright Holders. And if DCI did not stay on top of policing non-authorized videoing/posting of their sanctioned shows they would also likely lose future sync permissions granted from copyright holders.

Plus, given YouTube's "favor the artist/rights holders," it is VERY easy to make a take-down claim of YouTube, and a bit more work on the uploader to prove they do indeed hold the rights. I've known corps who got ticked that spring training or early show videos were up on YouTube and a staffer or director contacted YouTube and got the video pulled ASAP. I've gotten the impression it's much easier to pull a video than it is to get the video back up because you've proven you do indeed own the rights.

DCI can go after videos taken from productions they have made, but they do not need to go after videos they did not produce.

Yes, they do. Corps are the stewards, so to speak, of the rights they've procured for the season: it's in their best interest to control those rights as best and reasonable as possible in order to keep relations cordial with rights holders.

I will never understand how & why DCI & its member corps are too stupid to realize that You Tube is free promotion for them. Cracking down on a niche activity like drum corps only hurts the activity. Great idea to limit the exposure of your organization & corps.

I will never understand how & why DCI & its member corps are too stupid to realize that You Tube is free promotion for them. Cracking down on a niche activity like drum corps only hurts the activity. Great idea to limit the exposure of your organization & corps.

So you would rather they leave it alone, have companies like Tresona, publishers, artists, etc. come after them for legal reasons, just for the the sake of "free promotion."

You realize the "free promotion" you're referring to is illegal in many, many cases, and could lead to lost revenue, lawsuits, fines, etc.

DCI and its members do this so that they can stay on the correct side of the law. What a shame, right?

• Like 1

Because DCI & its member corps do not own those types of rights: they'd maybe be liable if they weren't proactively submitting YouTube takedowns.

Besides, ANY business wants to be in control of information & product release, no industry more so that entertainment. I get why DCI wouldn't want lowish quality bootleg video as a representation of their product

• Like 1

So you would rather they leave it alone, have companies like Tresona, publishers, artists, etc. come after them for legal reasons, just for the the sake of "free promotion."

You realize the "free promotion" you're referring to is illegal in many, many cases, and could lead to lost revenue, lawsuits, fines, etc.

DCI and its members do this so that they can stay on the correct side of the law. What a shame, right?

Because DCI & its member corps do not own those types of rights: they'd maybe be liable if they weren't proactively submitting YouTube takedowns.

Besides, ANY business wants to be in control of information & product release, no industry more so that entertainment. I get why DCI wouldn't want lowish quality bootleg video as a representation of their product

Great responses!!!

• Like 1

So, in the name of your own personal gain it is a 'Smart' idea to allow fans to steal property which was placed in your trust by the rightful owner?

However, right now all they have is high quality video with no actual corps audio, as nobody can afford sync rights for them. Watched an ad for the Big Loud Live shows in the last few years?

I get that it's not a bed of DCI's making, so I'm not blaming them, but if you'll allow me to whine for a moment, this is a pretty ###### bed to be in.

Mike