Who are today's "stars"?

They do tend to be brass soloists, not necessarily a screamer but it helps.

The last "name" of a Marching Member I can remember was BDs Scott Dean.

• Like 1

How much?

a copy of the the DVD " Building the Green Machine " by Colt Foutz, might just grease the skids for you.

• Like 1

Maybe each corps should produce "Baseball Cards" of their players.

As long as it comes with bubble gum too.

a copy of the the DVD " Building the Green Machine " by Colt Foutz, might just grease the skids for you.

Well, since it's a book and not a DVD, I guess I'm screwed.

We will disagree on this topic, for sure.

Not a problem. It happens sometimes. Some of it is our own personal experiences that shape these things too. I learned something new yesterday regarding your experiences in Drum Corps, and when it first came about for you. It appears you began in Drum Corps around the mid 60's. Naturally that would shape your observations and experiences, MikeD. By '67, I was already aging out, and completing my schooling to become an Eastern Mass, Circuit Assoc Judge in '68.( I got drafted, only did 3 judging gigs in '68 as a result, but thats another story). Later I marched Sr. Corps a bit, and later Military Drum & Corps. However, by 66, I had already been marching in compettive Drum Corps for over a decade ( having started marching and competing in competitive Junior Drum & Bugle Corps in 1955 ). So in the 50's, I knew that the horn instructor for BAC ( Ed Denon )was a current baritone horn marcher in the competing Lt. Norman Prince " Princemen" Senior Drum & Bugle Corps. I knew that Gerry Shellmar , BAC's Drum Instructor, was a snare drummer marcher for the Princemen...that Ted Mc Naught the brass instructor for the Reveries was a baritone marcher the Princemen, and that Scotty Chappelle, who was a judge, that judged the Junior Corps in Massachusetts, was at the time the Drum Major marcher of the competition competing Princemen ( before giving way to Hank O'Donnell ) ). Swan, Dreitzer, in NY/ Jersey etc were primarily known to us as Skyliners marchers, and before they made their foray later into instructorships in these Corps while they still marched ( and sometimes later as judges ) in their Corps.... D. Angelica ? ( you also mentioned above ) He also was known to us from the 50's as primarily a participating MARCHING star in Drum Corps too. Most of the stars in Drum Corps were competition MARCHING stars in the 50's era, MikeD. For lot of people that marched in the early to mid 50's, we knew that the top quality competing Drum Corps in every northeastern state and even into Canada during this era were the Senior Corps, not the Junior Corps. The best Drum Corps in Massachusetts, for example, in '1956 was the Princemen .. in NYC ( Skyliners).. upstate NY ( Syracuse Brigadiers, ) , in NJ ( Hawthorne Cabs ), in Connecticut ( Hurricanes, Ct. Yankees ), in Pennsylvania ( Archer- Epler Musketeers/ Reilly Raiders ), Canada ( Marching Ambassadors). Even out in the midwest, the best competing Drum Corps in the mid 50's was also a Senior Drum & bugle Corps, not a Junior Drum & Bugle Corps ( Skokie Indians.. Ilinois ). Thus, the stars of the era were most typically these Senior Corps Marchers. Later, many of these stars in the activity began to take on roles as instructors to the Junior Corps, Some of them continued to March and compete into the mid 60's. in their Senior Corps. By the time the late 60's rolled around however, many of them gave up participation in the Senior Corps ranks, and began to focus as just instructors, judges and so forth. It was at this time that the Junior Corps began to quickly rise in quality over that of the Senior Corps. It was also around this time ( mid to late 60's ) that it appears you began your marching days in Drum Corps, and so you naturally recognized these stars in the activity as primarily staffers and not marchers, and so that has shaped your assessments on this. Unless, I 'm mistaken however, you were not involved in Drum Corps in the mid 1950's which is where my experiences as to who the stars in Drum Corps were, and which was the era that shaped by assessments on this.. As such, my personal experiences is that a lot of the stars in Drum Corps in the 50's, early 60's, were primarily MARCHERS in the activity. Thats where we FIRST saw them, and we saw them a lot out there on the field in the 50's, and for over a decade too in this marching and competing capacity. So my experiences being different than yours naturally shapes my experiences ( for the 50"s ) in a much different fashion. That is why when you initially stated above that the stars in Drum Corps were almost always the staffers back in the day with an occasional marcher thrown in, I prefaced the 1st sentence of my reply to that comment above as... " it all depends on the back in the day ". Its clear to me that in the 1950's, the stars in Drum Corps were predominantly the MARCHERS that in some cases also helped instruct their Corps ( or other Junior Corps ) in this era. It was on the field of competition where the fans got to see their talents on display( some of these stars marched in competition for 10-15 years.. so their names were out there as marchers for over a decade too.)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Show are no longer built around one or two soloist as they sometimes were in the bronze age for various reasons, one being to cover up a weaker corps

Corps from to bottom in placements today feature singers, narrators, solo dancers, etc more today than ever. Is this to cover up weaker Corps sections, for example, the brass sections ? I don't believe so. Corps BITD from top to bottom utilized brass line soloists to demonstrate their Corps versatility, ie strengths not their weaknesses... plus, they believed the fans and judges liked to hear brass line solos played, so they did so. Keep in mind also that BITD, the Guards were essentially an auxillary unit. That has all changed now, as Guard marchers per marcher have more weight on the modern judging sheets than do the Brass line marchers, and it is more likely that the Guard carries the theme most to audiences rather than the Brass or Percussion sections. So we now see more solo dancers and Guard marchers front and center throughout these shows more than any brass soliosts, duos, or trios time wise in the shows.

Edited by BRASSO