Who are today's "stars"?

Well, since it's a book and not a DVD, I guess I'm screwed.

Such is life. Some days we're the bird, other days we're the windshield.

With all the online coverage I would think there should be more members who are considered stars. There is that TV show coming this year. That will be cool.

As long as it comes with bubble gum too.

Not that hard flat gum though from back in the day that cracked into little pieces if you dropped the pack of cards before you opened them, cause that "gum" was just nasty.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

Another star from the not too distant past (mid 90s Madison) - Jon Schipper. 1996 is one of my favorite drum corps shows of all time. 1995 tends to get a lot of the love (rightfully so), but I actually like "A drum Corps Fan's Dream: Part Dos" more than the original (even though they finished in 6th instead of 4th with the original).

I think if a non-homer knows the individual's name (a la BD Brandon - I guess he is even at "one name" star status :) it's a pretty good sign that person is a star.

I would agree that the senior corps MM had a lot of name recognition, but IMO in the junior world of the mid-60's when I started to learn about drum corps, it was still the staffs that in general were the "names". I was a drummer in NJ, so I knew the names like Bobby Thompson, Danny Raymond, Eric Perriloux (sp?), Gerry Shelmer George Tuthill, Les Parks, Joe Marella, John Flowers. Even some of the brass guys like John Sasso, Don Angelica, Dick Burns, Larry Kirchner, Tom Swan teaching half the corps in the GSC, Gus Wilkie, Hy Dreitzer..Truman Crawford, and others.

While we liked the great senior corps of that time, at least by my era I don't recall any of us thinking of them as giants or gods. Great corps in some cases? Oh, absolutely.

Who's Dick Burns?

March or teach and where?

Edited by Tobias

Who's Dick Burns?

March or teach and where?

He was the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights brass guy back in the 60's, and he taught other GSC corps as well.

BS was my personal favorite corps when I was a kid in the mid/late 60's.

The tiger stripe drums were a trademark their last few years...

1f5effc0.jpg

So I see all the POV's about who is a star. And it is all valid to an extent. But what I was getting at was there used to be Junior Corps MM stars. And I was meaning Junior Corps not Senior Corps; They certainly had a lot of stars. The other point I was getting at was that nowadays, in the DC community, there is more familiarity with designers and caption head types than MM's. So my question was meant to be more aimed toward MM's. Although there are some star staffers too. And by that I didn't mean admin. I like David Gibbs and all but I wouldn't have characterized him as a "star" corps director. Just my opinion. Thanks for all the input though from everyone. It did bring back memories of some true stars. Maybe introduced some newer DCPer's to some of DC's history.

• 1 month later...