The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Question for those who are familiar with this corps:

What is it that they lack that would make Academy a regular finalist? I've not read a single negative thing about this corps, or any of their recent shows, and yet they are not likely to be a Finalist. What gives?

What is it that they lack that would make Academy a regular finalist? I've not read a single negative thing about this corps, or any of their recent shows, and yet they are not likely to be a Finalist. What gives?

I've been a huge fan since 2010 and follow them pretty closely every year, if that qualifies.

I'd say they have lacked the polish, depth, and difficulty of the Troopers and Colts in terms of season longevity. I think they have a vehicle with ramped up difficulty and performance quality quite a bit, so I'm not sure if I see that being an issue this year. Paired with a very well designed show in all regards, boom. That's why they're doing so well.

I absolutely loved last year, but they definitely had that thing maxed out by about Allentown. Troopers and Colts still had a bunch of gas left in the tank. 2014 they were rebounding off of a relatively weak 2013.

They've really developed their guard program in recent years, in their 09 - 12 run that and visual dirt kept them from breaking out of the 14th/15th rut they were in those years.

They've always had really strong brass and percussion, and starting in 2014 when they picked up Michael Klesch as their arranger, that's when their ascent started.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

In my opinion, this is the first year that the brass has a finalist-caliber power in their sound. Also, their design has just recently picked up in a major way in the last few years, and they haven't had that "sparkly clean" show yet. This could definitely become one.

I've been a huge fan since 2010 and follow them pretty closely every year, if that qualifies.

I'd say they have lacked the polish, depth, and difficulty of the Troopers and Colts in terms of season longevity. I think they have a vehicle with ramped up difficulty and performance quality quite a bit, so I'm not sure if I see that being an issue this year. Paired with a very well designed show in all regards, boom. That's why they're doing so well.

I absolutely loved last year, but they definitely had that thing maxed out by about Allentown. Troopers and Colts still had a bunch of gas left in the tank. 2014 they were rebounding off of a relatively weak 2013.

They've really developed their guard program in recent years, in their 09 - 12 run that and visual dirt kept them from breaking out of the 14th/15th rut they were in those years.

They've always had really strong brass and percussion, and starting in 2014 when they picked up Michael Klesch as their arranger, that's when their ascent started.

Age-wise, I've heard they have tended to be a young corps. I imagine it's hard to keep experienced, talented kids from jumping to SCV and BD.

• Like 1

Corps below the perennial TOP 12 rarely get any negative ink on DCP. They rarely get ink or coverage period... positive or negative. However, should such Corps get into the TOP 12, it is then that they tend to get the negativity.. or more of it. The Blue Devils are the best example of this. They get more negative commentary than any Corps, imo. Theyu are like the NY Yankees when they were winning all those titles, or the N.E. Patriots today. Not much criticism of the Milwaukee Brewers out of Milwaukee, or the San Diego Chargers out of San Diego.

• Like 1

A few years back a similar thread appeared, and difficulty in keeping veterans was considered a key factor. What's too bad is many who march with Academy sing praises about the experience, but not making finals yet has made many seek other corps. This is not just an Academy problem. Based on conversations I have had it has happened with Colts, Surf, and Spirit, and my guess with other corps too. Many are saying this could be the year, though I think we need to see more shows and scores to make that determination, but if it should not happen, I hope veterans will march again, because this is probably the only way Academy will move ahead. If the do place in the top 12, retaining veterans will be easier.

Corps below the perennial TOP 12 rarely get any negative ink on DCP. They rarely get ink or coverage period... positive or negative. However, should such Corps get into the TOP 12, it is then that they tend to get the negativity.. or more of it. The Blue Devils are the best example of this. They get more negative commentary than any Corps, imo. Theyu are like the NY Yankees when they were winning all those titles, or the N.E. Patriots today. Not much criticism of the Milwaukee Brewers out of Milwaukee, or the San Diego Chargers out of San Diego.

I think the negative posts prize now goes to Cadets, but there is a key difference. Blue Devils could not care less about what people think, whereas Cadets fans and alums are usually very quick to not only stomp on critiques, but even if you sing the praises of Cadets, and it doesn't agree with these folks, you may get stomped on. This is loyalty, and you can't fault them for it.

After their meetup with the Troopers yesterday, will be interesting to see how Academy does against the Colts.

Colts were a little over a point behind Troopers last night, but Academy was a whopping 4.15 ahead of the Colts this past weekend in Rockford.

The spread tonight should be interesting.

This might just be my favorite show this year. Its great.

• Like 1

Its not unusual for very well liked shows not to make Finals either. Perhaps not as much here on DCP, but away from this site, the 2012 Jersey Surf " Bridgemania " themed show was a hugely well liked, entertaining show for thousands of DCI show goers. The fact they finished 20th that year did not diminish in the least that national highly entertaining show on the part of show goers.

As for what it will take for Academy to make finals, it really is a difficult question to know without access to the recaps. The recaps tell us the speciifics regarding what captions, subcaptions they need to improve upon.

Edited by BRASSO