The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Here I was thinking Academy has just about maxed out the potential of their show... it getting clean and all... and then they get an over 3 point jump in scores from 48 hours ago, and now they are within 3 points of the Blue Knights now ? This is an amazing season for Academy. Congratulations to them.

THIS...

I say to heck with 12th... You're within 3 points now, have a crack at Blue Knights!

• Like 1

I watched this show with my son, former euph MM of another corps. He hadn't yet seen the show so I asked him if he'd be so kind as to keep a detailed eye on things, esp. demand/execution in both music and marching. He always sees things I don't see of course, having marched.

He said he thought the visual demand was high, that there was a lot of playing while marching, difficult moves, etc. As to the brass book, he admitted that perhaps it wasn't the most difficult one we're hearing this year. But what impressed him most was when he zoomed in on a contra marching skillfully with upper body and bell perpendicular to feet. He said how difficult that is to do physically. He remarked that the visual instruction was at a new level this year.

So it's not just the fabulous show. Academy is getting it done technically out there as well.

Edited by luv4corps
  • Like 2

One factor of the score jump may have been the stomach flu that affected many of The Academy. Started just before Atlanta and peaked by Tuesday. Few holes but lots of weak members in Dayton and Pittsburgh.

Edited by candl

Amazing show that never gets old for me. I have watched and listed to this show as much as any this year. I feel that this is the show that starts a run of finals appearances like the 2008 Blue Stars le tour show did for them.

• Like 2

Congrats on a wonderful show, Academy! I bought my wife BOTH of your tour shirts this year (to go along with the one from last year) :cool:

It was sort of funny hearing the crowd reaction before and after your show in Allentown. Before the show, a number of older fans (l too am an old phart, but I follow things pretty closely) were asking "who is that?". By the end of the show they were giving you guys and gals a standing O.

One thing I didn't pick up on the DCILive broadcasts was how good the carriage/individual marching technique is for this show. Fantastic job all around, I hope to see you guys on the blu-ray for the '16 finals!

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Academy at Allentown...

They've been really close a couple times and it looks like this is the year they are going to make Saturday night!

Really liked the use of the chairs and tombstones to get 2 props out of 1. Clever.

Very strong season for the kids and staff. Everyone should be proud. :)

• Like 4

I saw the Allentown show the other night. I have to say that in the 35 years I've been following DCI, I've never enjoyed a show (that's likely to place 11/12) this much. There's a lesson to learn here. The Academy at this point does not have the musical talent or difficulty of show content of virtually any other corps in the Top 12. But their show is brilliant in its ability to evoke an emotional response in the audience. In this regard, I put this artistic performance in the same class as anything from the Blue Devils, and Crown's Inferno. In artistic and theatrical performance they are already in the league with DCI royalty. If they stay on this trajectory, they will be fighting for a medal within the decade. As long as the organization can stay intact and build the rest of the disciplines necessary to survive at such altitudes.

So if you are as sold as I am on these guys... Do what I did Saturday morning. Put them on the payroll! They're getting an automatic donation every month ad infinitum until they prove themselves unworthy (not likely). This show will keep me warm throughout the winter. It's cheaper than my heating bill.

Go Academy!

• Like 5

In artistic and theatrical performance they are already in the league with DCI royalty.

This is what they do SO SO well. And they're having a ball while doing it. It is refreshing.

• Like 2