The Academy 2016 - The Drum Corpse Bride

Me if Academy misses finals:

NfFfwm5.gif

But seriously, whatever happens this week. Think this might be my 2nd favorite program of the year. Finals or not. This will be one I go back to listen to, watch again, and enjoy for probably the entirety of my life as a drum corps fan. Thanks for being you Academy, we love it!

Best of luck this week. I'm going to be biting my nails Thursday and Friday, and hopefully smiling ear to ear on Saturday night as they hit that final push at the end of Unchained Melody.

:D

And conversely if they DO make finals:

NfFfwm5.gif

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I saw the Allentown show the other night. I have to say that in the 35 years I've been following DCI, I've never enjoyed a show (that's likely to place 11/12) this much. There's a lesson to learn here. The Academy at this point does not have the musical talent or difficulty of show content of virtually any other corps in the Top 12. But their show is brilliant in its ability to evoke an emotional response in the audience. In this regard, I put this artistic performance in the same class as anything from the Blue Devils, and Crown's Inferno. In artistic and theatrical performance they are already in the league with DCI royalty. If they stay on this trajectory, they will be fighting for a medal within the decade. As long as the organization can stay intact and build the rest of the disciplines necessary to survive at such altitudes.

So if you are as sold as I am on these guys... Do what I did Saturday morning. Put them on the payroll! They're getting an automatic donation every month ad infinitum until they prove themselves unworthy (not likely). This show will keep me warm throughout the winter. It's cheaper than my heating bill.

Go Academy!

Really!? "The Academy at this point does not have the musical talent or difficulty of show content of virtually any other corps in the top 12." WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY INSULTING and "Out of Place" COMMENT coming from a seasoned "35 year" vet of the drum corps activity. I've got 51 years! and marched from 1965-72.. That one comment sadly, taints the rest of an other wise well written and well intentioned post I can agree with.. FYI: They're on my payroll also, since 2004.

• Like 1

Really!? "The Academy at this point does not have the musical talent or difficulty of show content of virtually any other corps in the top 12." WHAT AN ABSOLUTELY INSULTING and "Out of Place" COMMENT coming from a seasoned "35 year" vet of the drum corps activity. I've got 51 years! and marched from 1965-72.. That one comment sadly, taints the rest of an other wise well written and well intentioned post I can agree with.. FYI: They're on my payroll also, since 2004.

To be fair, I think I get what he is saying.

They designed a show that is tailored perfectly to where the members are and is within their capabilities. Smart programming?

That was my take. Don't think it was probably their intention to come off like that.

• Like 2

To be fair, I think I get what he is saying.

They designed a show that is tailored perfectly to where the members are and is within their capabilities. Smart programming?

That was my take. Don't think it was probably their intention to come off like that.

You're always the "voice of reason". Yes, The Academy's 85.650 tonight, yet another milestone on their journey to Indy.

I think you mean another tombstone on their journey to Indy!

• Like 4

I am excited to see the Academy do some work this week! I hope to see them Saturday night!

• Like 1

You're right. I have to take back the comment about talent. That's not what I had meant. All I was trying to say is that The Academy has learned how to put "charisma" on the field. It's a very difficult thing to do. And it's not necessarily related to having the most demanding music program or marching the fastest, most complicated drill. I was in no way intending to say that the kids were not a talented group. Right now I'm all about celebrating what might be recognized in the future as the corps' "break out" performance and season. Fantastic and emotional show.

Edited by GlenI
  • Like 1

The Academy is doing something that too many corps seem to have tossed aside. That being....allowing the music to develop an emotional connection with the audience without abruptly chopping it to shreds. The fans and surprisingly the judges seem to love it. I hope it's a trend others will follow.

Edited by bluesman

I think you mean another tombstone on their journey to Indy!

That was dead on the spot of you. LOL

I am Looking forward to seeing the newly "sponsored" $500.00 personalized tombstones on the field in Indy. What an absolutely "Brilliant" and lucrative fund raising idea on the part of THE ACADEMY marketing team!!!! If they were able to raise donations for the 20 they made available, they will have cleared $10,000.00!!!! FYI: there are actually 40 pew chairs/tombstones on the field for "Drum Corpse Bride.".