Corps vying for World Class designation?

Any insiders out there know what is keeping some of the bigger open class corps from switching over to World Class? I understand why BDB and SCVC aren't candidates, but there are several other Open Class corps who regularly beat out World classers. I have an acquaintance on staff at one of the big open class corps who seemed to suggest that the "big 7" world class corps are stopping any more move ups until a new category is established for them. Any truth to this?

Any insiders out there know what is keeping some of the bigger open class corps from switching over to World Class?

Because they simply choose not to.

If the membership and an organization itself (as a whole) is having an uplifting and positive experience within the Open Class tour model/environment, things are financially achievable, stable and sound with things going relatively smooth to insure a strong future---the organization has made the proper decision for "themselves"; nothing else matters.

Any insiders out there know what is keeping some of the bigger open class corps from switching over to World Class? I understand why BDB and SCVC aren't candidates, but there are several other Open Class corps who regularly beat out World classers. I have an acquaintance on staff at one of the big open class corps who seemed to suggest that the "big 7" world class corps are stopping any more move ups until a new category is established for them. Any truth to this?

Not exactly.

Member corps have the final vote on whether to accept an open class corps petitioning for promotion to world class. The number of world class corps has hovered around 22 for quite some time. Evidently, that is the number the membership is at peace with - a balance between too many corps to split the revenue among, and too few corps to fill shows and construct logical tours (in grossly oversimplified terms).

The bar for promotion is raised or lowered in response to the number of world class corps. Back in 2004 and 2005, there were 24 in WC and numerous petitions to move up were denied. In 2007, DCI had just lost three world class corps, and they begged, pleaded and bent policies to induce Academy to make the move to WC earlier than they planned. If 2 or 3 world class corps folded tomorrow, DCI would suddenly be more receptive to a petition.

I don't think it has anything to do with the current world class corps being happy with only 22 groups.....DCI has a better review process in place to make sure corps can sustain the financial burden of a full tour. This is a good thing considering the number or corps that moved into World Class in the late 90's to mid 2000's that did not survive more than 5 years before going under....the last thing we need is another Magic or Orlando, Teal Sound or Capital Regiment.

Looking at schedules for this summer.....it appears that Genesis may be taking the steps towards a move....they are doing an extended tour with more shows that a couple of world class corps.

Why would World Class want to bring up another corps or two that they have to pay more to at their shows? That's just silly.

Currently OC gets nothing at their own shows.

From what I understand open class corps get paid nothing for open class tour shows that take place in the last two weeks of the season....if they perform at a local show that is a mix of both world and open class corps they all get paid. Correct me if this is not accurate.

Why would World Class want to bring up another corps or two that they have to pay more to at their shows? That's just silly. Currently OC gets nothing at their own shows.

This is apparently the issue as I'm told. The big WC corps don't see the value in bringing any others up. And there may be some other "class" being considered for the upper crust?

Since Oregon Crusaders moved up in 2013, has another Open Class corps asked to move up to World Class and been turned down?

In the three years since then, SCVC and BDB have traded first and second place, and those two corps are in Open Class by design.

Third place has gone to Genesis twice and Spartans once. I have the impression, not sure from what, that Spartans want to stay in O.C. That leaves Genesis, who seems to be the consensus candidate for the next corps to move up, although I thought their director said in an interview a couple years ago that they didn't plan to make that move anytime soon.

I think there's something to be said for the argument that you ought to prove you can beat the cadet corps in Open before you move to World. On the other hand, World Class is about the financial model and the member experience at least as much as it is about placement. Personally, I think there ought to be at least twice as many corps in a division as there are slots in Finals, in order to make Finals mean something important. In which case, DCI needs three more World Class corps. And then ten more Open Class corps at Michigan City!

This is apparently the issue as I'm told. The big WC corps don't see the value in bringing any others up. And there may be some other "class" being considered for the upper crust?

other than as a feeder, i'm almost certain WC doesn't see any value in OC.