Bring Back the Oldies

While i understand some miss the classics, I enjoy the corps creating new "classics" more than i do hearing the same stuff over and over and over. I can only hear conquest so many times. heck, I can only hear Malaguena so many times... unless you're REALLY made it awesome.

The music of Francis McBeth... just doesn't do it for me. I marched his music in 97 with Golden Lancers, and hearing it, it just doesn't hold a flame on the field to some of the newer works that modern composers are putting out.

Medea... puts me to sleep.

As many have stated, there's so many good shows that were made of this stuff, why not try to make something in your corps style, that's as good. I will put a nice plug in for Madison's show last year. When the director said they wanted to use music that would sound like Classic Madison, but has never been used by Madison before.

That's the approach i think that's needed. Make new classics.

• Like 2

Just because we're "old heads," why do we have to wait 20+ years to hear "Medea" again

Kidsgrove Scouts did pretty well with Medea last year. Sixth in DCA, first in DCE. A most entertaining show.

Whelp Cletus, jest put that ole VCR up on the console and play them old songs to your hearts content.

Me I like hearing new stuff that makes me go and do research and learn new things. Then every once in a while I check out some Senior corps stuff and reminisce.

Pssst. (the 70's are over) And yes I was there since 1970. I like modern drum corps.

This is silly. A good deal of what succeeds in drum corps is old music.

• Like 1

Why not indeed? I had that same thought as I was driving up here to Kalamazoo the other night (I'm attending the International Congress on Medieval Studies for the Tolkien track). I had randomly pulled a half dozen CDs from my collection. One of them was a Boston Pops collection of Sousa marches, and I thought several of the tunes, like "El Capitan", could be quite effective on field in the right hands.

Whelp Cletus, jest put that ole VCR up on the console and play them old songs to your hearts content.

Me I like hearing new stuff that makes me go and do research and learn new things. Then every once in a while I check out some Senior corps stuff and reminisce.

Pssst. (the 70's are over) And yes I was there since 1970. I like modern drum corps.

Dude, he just asked a question.

• Like 2

The problem with bringing back the oldies is that those who would enjoy this might think the oldies would be brought back the way they remember them. That just won't happen. At that point those who love them will be turned off by the very thing they wanted. JMO

And "Masquerade" from 2012 Bluecoats.

...and "Music of the Night" from 2012 SCV.