Bring Back the Oldies

This year, however, we're going to hear Jesus Christ Superstar, Pines of Rome, Man of La Mancha, YPG, Walking with Heroes, and Madea. I'd say that most of that music is classic material doing extremely well by other corps. I like what I hear so far from the corps today playing that music.

Walking with Heroes was only done by one corps (quite brilliantly) three years ago. I don't think I would call that classic material yet. Love the piece (both CC's version and the brass band original), but it's a little early to call that a classic just yet.

Walking with Heroes was only done by one corps (quite brilliantly) three years ago. I don't think I would call that classic material yet. Love the piece (both CC's version and the brass band original), but it's a little early to call that a classic just yet.

Well, I think it's the definitive drum corps version so far, but I get what you're talking about. Let's just say, I think it's a classic. I think THAT version will hold up over time as it's done EXTREMELY well. I get ya though!

I am someone who loves the classic drum corps arrangements and I don't mind hearing the same thing I heard in previous shows. If I go to a concert, whether it be a popular or classical, I want old and new. I am supposed to see Coldplay this summer and I'd better hear "Fix You," "Viva la Vida" and "Sky full of Stars." When I go to the Boston Pops I expect the final encore to be "Stars and Stripes Forever" and I want a classic with something new at a BSO concert.

That being said, when it comes to drum corps, sometimes the classic arrangement works for that cos at that time and may not work today. Take some of the Jim Wedge arrangements for 27th Lancers. The Don Ellis arrangements might work, possibly "Folk Song Suite" and "Gaite Parisienne " but would they have the same feel? Remember those who performed these works added a certain passion and that can't be duplicated. If let's say Pioneer decided to add "Danny Boy" to their repertoire, the exact arrangement of 27th, would crowds be on their feet or would comparisons be made? I suppose there is a competitive disadvantage as well. Some of the judges may have either performed these classic arrangements or competed against corps that performed these arrangements. Judges are objective in most cases, but they are also human.

This year, however, we're going to hear Jesus Christ Superstar, Pines of Rome, Man of La Mancha, YPG, Walking with Heroes, and Madea. I'd say that most of that music is classic material doing extremely well by other corps. I like what I hear so far from the corps today playing that music.

I was just wondering if the OP was up-to-date with what corps are playing this year, as it seemed like a LOT of older charts are being revisited

• Like 1

I was just wondering if the OP was up-to-date with what corps are playing this year, as it seemed like a LOT of older charts are being revisited

I'll say it again. For many who would love to see the oldies back , the problem with that is there is no way they will come back the way many might want or remember. So the very thing some may want will ultimately be the very thing that turns them off.

• Like 1

I'll say it again. For many who would love to see the oldies back , the problem with that is there is no way they will come back the way many might want or remember. So the very thing some may want will ultimately be the very thing that turns them off.

Really ? One quick glance at the announced music of some of the elite corps music selections shows lots of " oldies " songs they'll play this season that has been played many times already by other Corps. Some brief examples from the elites for this 2016 season :

" Stormy Weather ".... Blue Devils 2016 ( played by 7 other Corps in competition before. )

" Ecstasy of Gold "..... Carolina Crown 2016 ( played by 8 other Corps in competition before. )

" Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra ".... Phantom Regiment 2016 ( played by 10 other Corps in competition before. )

" Pines of Rome "...... Cadets 2016 ( played by 14 other Corps in competition before. )

Lots of other perennial Top 10 Corps will be playing some music this season... ie " oldies "... thats been played before. Why are you seemingly convinced that most of these songs will not come out sounding as well, if not even better than, what other Corps have done before with it in terms of both arrangement and performance ?... or that their 2016 playing of these " oldies " this season will be " a turn off " to fans ?

Edited by BRASSO

Good point, but for me, if it's designed and performed well I will like it.

I might like other versions better, but I appreciate "good design" ( which I understand doesn't really mean anything to anyone when I say "good design" ).

For example, Malaguena...

It's been done a TON, but the version that won, Madison Scouts 1988, is probably what most people would called the definitive version.

In 2003, both the Cadets and Boston Crusaders.

I really enjoy the way Boston presented it, but I didn't care for the way the Cadets presented it.

Another one, Rocky Point Holiday.

Loved the 82 & 83 musical arrangements ( would probably give the edge to the '83 arrangement as it fit better with the Mass stuff than ;82 did with Cuban Overture and Concerto in F)

Didn't care for the 2003 version.

Finally, Spanish Fantasy

Loved the BD 1986 version; didn't care for the '94 musical arrangement. ( This one is probably contrary to most, I admit).

Definitely, the last example describes perfectly what you're talking about.

• Like 1

Good point, but for me, if it's designed and performed well I will like it.

I might like other versions better, but I appreciate "good design" ( which I understand doesn't really mean anything to anyone when I say "good design" ).

For example, Malaguena...

It's been done a TON, but the version that won, Madison Scouts 1988, is probably what most people would called the definitive version.

In 2003, both the Cadets and Boston Crusaders.

I really enjoy the way Boston presented it, but I didn't care for the way the Cadets presented it.

We can just imagine the elitist smugs from some quarters of the fandom if a lower tier DCI corps decided to do the song " Melaquena " again this season. The fact that FAR more Corps have done " Pines of Rome " over the years than " Melaquena " has been performed by the numbers of Corps seems to get lost in the discussion when its an Elite DCI Corps that decides to bring this " oldie " back even one more time, this season. It is a bit of irony not lost on some of us however. I'm looking forward to this " oldie " from the Cadets this season however, as I'd like to see how their arrangement and performance with it turns out.

Edited by BRASSO

What makes some of the oldies tiresome is some corps....Not mentioning PR here...have gone to the well to many times. I want something new and fresh...Sparticus is a good example of taking something that was good and making it fresh and new to the listener while still keeping hold to some of the original Jim Wren arrangement. Not to mention the design and execution of a better story line.

Besides some of the new fangled arrangements are much like the kids attention span in today's day and age. Short... (Not counting Drum Corp kids in this accessment)

Edited by Phantombari1

What makes some of the oldies tiresome is some corps....Not mentioning PR here...have gone to the well to many times. I want something new and fresh...Sparticus is a good example of taking something that was good and making it fresh and new to the listener while still keeping hold to some of the original Jim Wren arrangement. Not to mention the design and execution of a better story line.

Champion-level shows are designed score do well under the scoring system in place at the time. Using the Phantom Regiment example - the 2008 Spartacus would not have scored well in 1982 (it would have been DQ'd, but that aside it would not score well under the 1982 rules). Same is true of the 1982 version in 2008 - it would be lucky for that show to make quarterfinals in 2008 - things developed far too slowly for the modern form of the activity to score well (hard to believe that was 8 years ago).