Bring Back the Oldies

No. You did not say this. I did. Any fan that believes that a redo of a song ( or a Theme ) in modern day DCI from another year, will be performed with the same written arrangements of the song ( or Theme ) as before, is probably dumb as a rock to expect that to occur. Thats just my assessment, perhaps as harsh as it might be. So I would not concern ourselves with any fan that will " be disappointed " when they hear an oldie played again, because the arrangement was not as they might have heard the oldie played in arrangement before ( which is what you typed above ). My suggestion is not to be concerned if such fans exist like this. They're stupid with that expectation, as NO Corps in DCI anymore play these " oldies " with the same arrangements as before. Heck, Phantom Regiment did a complete theme redo again in 2008... much of the same music too. And 99.9% of the fans could care less in 2008 that Phantom regiment did a redo of their " Spartacus " theme from 1982 again. Just as importantly, neither did the Judges. Phantom Regiment won themselves a DCI Title with a redo of " an oldie " in 2008. They have never reached that pinnacle of placement achievement since. So don't sweat the 1%.. at most, imo... of stupid fans that might've been disappointed ( for one example ) that the 2008 version of " Spartacus " and its music selected in arrangements that season was so unlike Phantom Regiment's 1982 version of the identical theme Phantom Regiment did in 2008, if they were around for both versions.

Well maybe we just have 2 different ways of saying it or concerns of 1 , 10 or 100 % of the fans we may come from different places which is more than fine. We ( as in us ) don't have to have the same concerns. why would we? There are many facets and places in the activity that we all don't have to be concerned with ( or we can ) it just depends on where one sits. :smile:

Perspectives can be very different depending on where one views the landscape. And that is the cool thing about the activity.

Edited by GUARDLING

The problem with bringing back the oldies is that those who would enjoy this might think the oldies would be brought back the way they remember them. That just won't happen. At that point those who love them will be turned off by the very thing they wanted. JMO

Well stated. Very few (no corps) will resurrect music they or someone else played years ago without "making it their own" and disappointing the very people who wanted to hear it again.
  • Like 1

The key to all of this lies in the listener maintaining an open mind as to whatever changes (whether they be of tempo, style, orchestration/scoring, etc.) a given selection may go through over time. This is true not only for D&BC, but for any genre or style of that selection. To illustrate this, I'll go outside of D&BC for a moment, and use the vocal music medium for a moment.

The song "Home" from the musical The Wiz has had many interpretations, each of which have developed their own following. Which of the following four can be said to be the most "definitive," most "effective," or most "enjoyable?"

Stephanie Mills (1975), Original Broadway Cast

Diana Ross (1978), Film version of the show

Barbra Streisand

Melinda Doolittle

Each is different in their own way, whether the changes are large, or more of a simply "cover" variety.

The song "My Funny Valentine" (from the musical Babes In Arms) also has had many renditions, each different in their own way. Three of these are:

Mitzi Green (1937), Original Broadway Cast

Ella Fitzgerald

Melinda Doolittle

Again, different interpretations, which leads to different responses according to the individual. For me, the Doolittle version (her earliest version, without the "disco" style tempo/style change) absolutely kills me. Blows me away. But that's just me. Does it mean that I don't enjoy other versions which come down the pike every so often? Of course not. I try to be open to whatever I hear, but I still find myself going back to her version when I want what, to me, is my most enjoyable experience.

If we look into D&BC, we can take the Ellis tune "Strawberry Soup." Among the performances would be:

Cadets ('78)

Scouts ('82, '83, '93)

Blue Devils ('93)

Crossmen ('02)

Each different, if even slightly. Heck, to my ears, there are minor differences in just the three versions done by the Scouts alone. And the thing is, I can't really point to ONE which I can cite as my personal favorite. Sometimes it depends on my mood (heck -- most of the time it depends on my mood. I'm a sour, moody person. So shoot me. :crazy: ) There are days when I actually go to the Crossmen's version, even over those of the the Scouts or Blue Devils.

The whole key to this is that, had I not kept an open mind to the possibilities for enjoyment inherent in any performance, the only result would have that of robbing myself of something which later gave me great pleasure. And I won't even go into the maxim "Variety is the spice of life"....

Edited by HornTeacher

Simply stated, if someone is " disappointed " in a song's arrangement they hear on the field each summer, does it really matter if its an " oldie " or a so called " original " ? Its a distinction without a difference... ..no ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Simply stated, if someone is " disappointed " in a song's arrangement they hear on the field each summer, does it really matter if its an " oldie " or a so called " original " ? Its a distinction without a difference... ..no ?

Wow!! Thanks, BRASSO...you just knocked me on my figurative (and almost literal) butt with that one. What a great question, both from the standpoint of simple semantics and the broader metaphysical. Distinction without a difference...I LIKE that. You just gave me my next couple of lesson plans with that one....

Wow!! Thanks, BRASSO...you just knocked me on my figurative (and almost literal) butt with that one. What a great question, both from the standpoint of simple semantics and the broader metaphysical. Distinction without a difference...I LIKE that. You just gave me my next couple of lesson plans with that one....

I do accept donations.... and its tax deductible ( but never quote me on this. )

The key to all of this lies in the listener maintaining an open mind as to whatever changes (whether they be of tempo, style, orchestration/scoring, etc.) a given selection may go through over time. This is true not only for D&BC, but for any genre or style of that selection. To illustrate this, I'll go outside of D&BC for a moment, and use the vocal music medium for a moment.

The song "Home" from the musical The Wiz has had many interpretations, each of which have developed their own following. Which of the following four can be said to be the most "definitive," most "effective," or most "enjoyable?"

Stephanie Mills (1975), Original Broadway Cast

Diana Ross (1978), Film version of the show

Barbra Streisand

Melinda Doolittle

Each is different in their own way, whether the changes are large, or more of a simply "cover" variety.

The song "My Funny Valentine" (from the musical Babes In Arms) also has had many renditions, each different in their own way. Three of these are:

Mitzi Green (1937), Original Broadway Cast

Ella Fitzgerald

Melinda Doolittle

Again, different interpretations, which leads to different responses according to the individual. For me, the Doolittle version (her earliest version, without the "disco" style tempo/style change) absolutely kills me. Blows me away. But that's just me. Does it mean that I don't enjoy other versions which come down the pike every so often? Of course not. I try to be open to whatever I hear, but I still find myself going back to her version when I want what, to me, is my most enjoyable experience.

If we look into D&BC, we can take the Ellis tune "Strawberry Soup." Among the performances would be:

Cadets ('82)

Scouts ('82, '83, '93)

Blue Devils ('93)

Crossmen ('02)

Each different, if even slightly. Heck, to my ears, there are minor differences in just the three versions done by the Scouts alone. And the thing is, I can't really point to ONE which I can cite as my personal favorite. Sometimes it depends on my mood (heck -- most of the time it depends on my mood. I'm a sour, moody person. So shoot me. :crazy: ) There are days when I actually go to the Crossmen's version, even over those of the the Scouts or Blue Devils.

The whole key to this is that, had I not kept an open mind to the possibilities for enjoyment inherent in any performance, the only result would have that of robbing myself of something which later gave me great pleasure. And I won't even go into the maxim "Variety is the spice of life"....

Cadets played Strawberry soup in 78 but great points you made. Edited by Tobias

Cadets played Strawberry soup in 78 but great points you made.

You're right, Tobias. And thank you for the correction. I was getting ahead of myself in my typing (thinking already of Scouts). I've corrected it. Thank you. :smile:

The key to all of this lies in the listener maintaining an open mind as to whatever changes (whether they be of tempo, style, orchestration/scoring, etc.) a given selection may go through over time. This is true not only for D&BC, but for any genre or style of that selection....

... I try to be open to whatever I hear....

... The whole key to this is that, had I not kept an open mind to the possibilities for enjoyment inherent in any performance, the only result would have that of robbing myself of something which later gave me great pleasure. And I won't even go into the maxim "Variety is the spice of life"....

Yep being open minded to a given selection that is orchestrated differently sure opens the mind up for inherent enjoyment and pleasure; like this spice here which is certainly a variety in life!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudkGuBb1ng

• Like 1