Bring Back the Oldies

Yep being open minded to a given selection that is orchestrated differently sure opens the mind up for inherent enjoyment and pleasure; like this spice here which is certainly a variety in life!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GudkGuBb1ng

This:

Also we have to know the intent of the original poster. What THEY meant by bringing back the oldies. BUT you are quite right.

This:

Also we have to know the intent of the original poster. What THEY meant by bringing back the oldies.

He told us " the oldies ". He even named the music selections.... and its authors too. Its right there in the OP's writings. I suppose however, that its true, that one would have to actually read what he wrote to learn a few of the " oldies " that he meant for suggestive bringing back. If one didn't read his post, its true, they would not know what " oldies" he meant. But if they read his post, they would know the names of a few the " oldies" he is referring to, and their authors... as well as other older works he believes modern Corps may have missed in his opinion. In my view, the OP is quite precise and name specific in his writings above as to " what he meant by bringing back the oldies ".

Edited by BRASSO

He told us " the oldies ". He even named the music selections.... and its authors too. Its right there in the OP's writings. I suppose however, that its true, that one would have to actually read what he wrote to learn a few of the " oldies " that he meant for suggestive bringing back. If one didn't read his post, its true, they would not know what " oldies" he meant. But if they read his post, they would know the names of a few the " oldies" he is referring to, and their authors... as well as other older works he believes modern Corps may have missed in his opinion. In my view, the OP is quite precise and name specific in his writings above as to " what he meant by bringing back the oldies ".

Actually he didnt. imo. Did he want to hear then as he remembered, cut up, turned or morphed into something very different than he was explaining. I went back to read this and unless Im reading to fast here I dont remember seeing that and would never assume to think for the person or what he might or should think.

Actually he didnt. imo. Did he want to hear then as he remembered, cut up, turned or morphed into something very different than he was explaining. I went back to read this and unless Im reading to fast here I dont remember seeing that and would never assume to think for the person or what he might or should think.

Huh ? The OP said that he wished " Festival Variations " would be brought back as a song. He said no Corps has done it since 1987. . He also suggested a Corps play the old " Blue Lake Overture ". He also mentioned lots of " oldies " never even done before by Corps. Such as the works inspired from Francis McBeth. His request was for both old songs that have been played before ( but not in the last 30 years ) to be considered, as well as his suggestion to bring back oldies never played by modern Corps as of yet. This is precisely what he requested. He never suggested to us in what format they be brought back in, and in just one example he cited ( the works of Francis McBeth, he would not have any " remembering " of them, because he clearly states such works have not been done by Drum Corps before to his knowledge. Thus, any implication ( that you cited above in this thread ) that the OP ( or others ) might be disappointed in an oldie played again in its arrangement would be impossible to be disappointed with an early version played by a Corps, as in his case cited, he clearly tells us such songs have not been played before by ANY Drum Corps. So to summarize, his request was to hear music from old never played before to his knowledge, and for a specific song..."Festival Variations", to be played again that hasn't in 30 years. He never references HOW it be brought back, nor his preference for it to be played as he heard it in 1987, nor if he would prefer it be updated in its arrangements. He takes no position on this in his post for us to know. He just suggests that he'd like to hear these oldies played. So... thats what we know, and its clear that my reading of what he was asking for is mostly at odds with what you received in your reading of his post for his suggestions regarding these oldies he cited for us, for Corps to consider for songs.

Edited by BRASSO

Huh ? The OP said that he wished " Festival Variations " would be brought back as a song. He said no Corps has done it since 1987. . He also suggested a Corps play the old " Blue Lake Overture ". He also mentioned lots of " oldies " never even done before by Corps. Such as the works inspired from Francis McBeth. His request was for both old songs that have been played before ( but not in the last 30 years ) to be considered, as well as his suggestion to bring back oldies never played by modern Corps as of yet. This is precisely what he requested. He never suggested to us in what format they be brought back in, and in just one example he cited ( the works of Francis McBeth, one example he cited) he would not have any " remembering " of them, because he clearly states such works have not been done by Drum Corps before to his knowledge. Thus, any implication ( that you cited above in this thread ) that the OP ( or others ) might be disappointed in an oldie played again in its arrangement would be impossible to be disappointed with an early version played by a Corps, as in his case cited, he clearly tells us in his post that to his knowledge these songs have not been played before by ANY Drum Corps. So to summarize, his request was to hear music from old never played before to his knowledge, and for a specific song..."Festival Variations", to be played again that hasn't in 30 years. He never references HOW it be brought back, nor his preference for it to be played as he heard it in 1987, nor if he would prefer it be updated in its arrangements. He takes no position on this in his post for us to know. He just suggests that he'd like to hear these oldies played. So... thats what we know, and its clear that my reading of what he was asking for is mostly at odds with what you received in your reading of his post for his suggestions regarding these oldies he cited for us, for Corps to consider for songs.

the whole conversation is silly unless the OP chimes in....this is my point what is highlighted. so maybe were saying the same thing.

This was what i responded to many many pages before. It was a statement , an opinion, not debate worthy imo.

Just because we're "old heads," why do we have to wait 20+ years to hear "Medea" again, much less "To Take The Perilous Skies" or even "Phantom of the Opera." The music that made us love drum corps is nothing more than lore and legend to those performing today. Just an idea I think worth discussion.

Edited by GUARDLING

Just because we're "old heads," why do we have to wait 20+ years to hear "Medea" again, much less "To Take The Perilous Skies" or even "Phantom of the Opera." The music that made us love drum corps is nothing more than lore and legend to those performing today. Just an idea I think worth discussion.

Your reply here however has nothing at all to do with what the OP is requesting and suggesting for us to discuss. Your reply here could be fodder for another discussion, another time, another thread. But your reply just now has little to do with what the OP is saying, nor suggesting for consideration. He does not ( for example ) mention any of the 3 songs you mention here. He DID however mention songs... some never played before... for us he'd like for us ( and Corps) to discuss for consideration for Corps to consider for playing. The reply here of yours of what " those performing today " might think of the 3 songs you mention here played before by Corps is thus seemingly manifestly irrelevent to what the OP is saying and suggesting in his post, it seems to me.

Edited by BRASSO

Your reply here however has nothing at all to do with what the OP is requesting and suggesting for us to discuss. Yoour reply here could be fodder for another discussion, another time, another thread. But your reply has little to do with what the OP is saying, nor suggesting for consideration. He does not ( for example ) mention any of the 3 songs you mention here. He DID however mention songs for us he'd like for us ( and Corps) to future consider.

ahhhhhhh i didnt write this ,or mention any songs...lol... it was from the OP post

NM..there's nothing worse than watching posts go back and forth like this but just for the record being you mentioned it ,most post stray from the OP and pretty fast.

There were other posters who got what i was saying..sorry you didnt but we can move on...not debate worthy as I said. It's all good. :smile:

Edited by GUARDLING

I have a little bit different take on this. I really enjoyed the 2011 Boston Crusaders mashup of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture mixed with One More Day from Les Miserables. They are both technically oldies, but were a complete new take on it, and I think a refreshing "viewpoint".

I have a little bit different take on this. I really enjoyed the 2011 Boston Crusaders mashup of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture mixed with One More Day from Les Miserables. They are both technically oldies, but were a complete new take on it, and I think a refreshing "viewpoint".

Loved that also..great blend and creative . For me, and I know many might disagree , it shows alot of creativity and thought.

Edited by GUARDLING

ahhhhhhh i didnt write this ,or mention any songs...lol... i

. :smile:

Look, I can see you have having trouble. You did mention songs from the past. You mentioned 3 of them here, but none of them were the OP's songs. Had you stayed on the topic and discussed HIS songs he wrote in his post, commented on those songs of his, or the composer he brought up, you'd be ok. But you drifted into bringing up YOUR 3 songs, and commented on how todays performers might think of these songs. But none of this reply had anything at all to do with any of my commentary, nor has anything to do with the named specific songs and the named specific composer from the OP. If you want to start a different thread on what you believe todays marchers think of YOUR 3 songs cited ( Medea, Tame the Perilous Skies, Phantom of the Opera ) then start one. But I think I'll take a pass on commenting anymore on this thread as you are going down a rabbit hole with commentary unconnected to the OP's songs, and I see no further reason i should go down that rabbit hole with you with commentary that is wholly unconnected to the OP 's songs and composers he listed for us for discussion and consideration ( lol!)

Edited by BRASSO