Memories of 1976

It was around this time in 1976 that our little corps, The Royal Coachmen, decided to have a week long camp. We loaded up the buses and trucks and drove south to Angola, NY to a church. It was a great experience as we were able to get a lot of the drill down during the all day Saturday rehearsal and Sunday rehearsal. Although this was important the bonding and fun we had were just as important. We developed friendships that season that are still there today, thanks to facebook. We didn't light up the world and unknown to us that was the last summer of the Royal Coachmen. We had success that summer and it culminated with an "A" Class win at the NT Open that year. The down side was before we left for DCI in Philly our director quit and we were without a leader during those 3 days. Parents got in the way and the prelims show was very boring with no energy. Corps we had beat had beat us in prelims. I wouldn't trade the year for anything!

I arranged and taught percussion with two Garden State Circuit corps, the Livingston NJ Imperial Guardsmen (who I had marched with in 68/69) and the Wayne Monarchs. Each corps had two of us on percussion. While I was the primary arranger for both, as far as teaching I focussed on timpani and mallets at the Monarchs and timpani (we did not march mallets) with the Guardsmen.

The Guardsmen had an amazing timpani line. Never forgot that at the World Open class 'B' prelims the GE Drum judge made the comment on his tape that the timpani line was as good as any he had seen, including the class 'A' corps. They really were that good.

With the Monarchs, it was decided mid-season that the Monarchs and the Greenwood Lake Lakers from NY would merge and become the King's Regiment. Both corps were gong nowhere fast, other than down. We dropped out of all shows the rest of the year and put together a mish-mosh of a combined corps to go to Wildwood for NJ States in September. It was kind of like the "Hey let's put on a show" of the old Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland films...might be the most fun I ever had in drum corps. We did half the tunes from the Monarchs and half from the Lakers and learned a quickie drill. Ended up with a huge corps at Wildwood for the show and parade.

• Like 1

I remember in 1973, our corps, followed the Monarchs at US Open. I just remembered the uniforms, green I believe with (maybe) pith helmets?

I remember in 1973, our corps, followed the Monarchs at US Open. I just remembered the uniforms, green I believe with (maybe) pith helmets?

Yes, before my time with them, but you are correct in the uniform.

Summer of 1976. In May, I was asked to be DM for an eventual 1976 DCI finalist but declined. Instead I taught and toured with a corps as one of their guard/marching instructors, was a spare flag guard member for another corps that I toured with too that made DCI finals too and trial judged in July and really judged in September. I taught, marched, judged the summer of 1976 and saw a lot of great drum corps shows long the way. What a summer!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it was pretty simple really, the corps I marched with in 75 disbanded and I wanted to march somewhere. I had options in Western PA at the time, GBV, RC, etc, but for whatever reason, I did not feel talented enough to go to RC, and instead choose PR! However, will always be proud of the accomplishments made by all Western PA corps.

1976 I marched with the NYC Skyliners. In my 50 years it was one of my Favorites. (funny 1966, My last year in Junior Corps. I marched my OTHER best year for Memories with St. Lucy's Cadets)

Interesting thing is :

" St. Lucy's Cadets " - 1966 was last year in Junior Corps. a top 10 National Contender.

In between I taught and assisted with a bunch of Corps across the USA. From Maine to California, Washington to Florida. Then came back to New Jersey, That was when Jimmy Hurley recruited me for the Drum line of a New Senior Corps. It was a Famous Junior Corps that was coming out as a Senior. The Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights.

" Golden Knights SR Corps " - 1975 was First year in Senior Corps. They only lasted one year.

" NYC Skyliners " 1976 a top 10 National/World Contender.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I know that 40 years ago today....June 4, 1976, I was in the hospital after having a collapsed lung.

I had just played an outdoor concert (in 90° heat and 70% humidity) with famed composer John Zdechlik's college jazz band.

Needless to say, I don't recommend playing trombone in those conditions with only one lung!

1976 was my last summer marching junior corps.

I wish I had better memories... but we kinda sucked. :tongue: Had fun off the rehearsal and performance fields... but as far as our drum corps product was concerned, we couldn't get out of our own way. LOL.

Did get to see DCI Finals in person that year at Franklin Field in Philly. Several of us from our corps made the short trip from central NJ.

I remember getting there... mind you, this was way before the Internet "instant information" days... and being absolutely stunned that the Garfield Cadets had missed Finals.

They, along with the Blue Stars and Blue Devils, were my favorite DCI corps.... and I couldn't believe the Cadets, who looked like a stone lock to be in Finals up until a few days before the big show, didn't make it in. I'm not a big subscriber to conspiracy theories as to why this corps or that corps didn't score better at any given show... but in the case of the 1976 Cadets, I still wonder. LOL

On the plus side, seeing the magnificent Blue Devils that night in Philly was worth the price of admission for me. Their show and performance level were on a different plane than anything I had seen before. A game changer.

Edited by Fran Haring