Corps 19-25 Placeing Higher

But you made a blanket statement that they didn't do this sort of thing. That was a large bag of money tossed at someone who spoke a big game. And then sent us toilet paper with scribbles on it. I'm not certain this was an exception, but their norm judging by the treatment we received.

This is fact based on your actual experience my addition is just saying you aren't the only one. Not by a long shot. It happens in Band and winter programs as well. Sometimes adding the name even if they dont do a thing helps ( more so in winter and band ) but mostly it doesnt.

This is fact based on your actual experience my addition is just saying you aren't the only one. Not by a long shot. It happens in Band and winter programs as well. Sometimes adding the name even if they dont do a thing helps ( more so in winter and band ) but mostly it doesnt.

sorry. that was a response to brasso

i'm still a little peeved about the cost of that show, which required a full starting from scratch. had the group had the new show instead the season would have likely turned out better.

So, what is your opinion regarding # of the 50 DCI member corps design [since this morphed from staff to design staff] personnel fitting the "exception" category?

visual/drill.battery.front ensemble.brass arrange.guard etc.

I'm genuinely interested in how many you believe "phone it in"

Time is such a commodity, eh?

sorry. that was a response to brasso

i'm still a little peeved about the cost of that show, which required a full starting from scratch. had the group had the new show instead the season would have likely turned out better.

Its sad and there are countless times Ive seen this happen especially winter and fall. There are also those who are impressed by those who march somewhere only to find out just because you marched somewhere does not mean you can teach. People learn , often the hard way.

Its sad and there are countless times Ive seen this happen especially winter and fall. There are also those who are impressed by those who march somewhere only to find out just because you marched somewhere does not mean you can teach. People learn , often the hard way.

hahahahahaha. i've seen that happen as well. too often. I've also seen the "just because you have a (insert higher level degree)" doesn't mean you can write. (or teach)

oye.

In regards to Jazzer... i think that unless you've got a large enough bag of money to get one of the big names to come on board as an actual collaborator, and not just a sideman/hired gun, you're not getting what they truly can create well with your theme.

I've know two who we could send drill or arrangements/work back to and they'd rethink it with our notes, and not give us crap for it. (even though we paid extra)

the fact I get calls almost every year with a big HELP! from some of these corps short changed.

The lesson then that we all naturally would come away with is that the lower placing Corps are even MORE exploited and taken advantage of, when compared to the treatment the elites get. Its regrettable, but its the reality, I suppose. This is yet ANOTHER example however of things that go on, that keeps these Corps where they are each and every year in the DCI pecking order. We hear now that a lot of staff writers give better service to the Elites than to the lower Tier Corps. Man, that sure sucks for these lower tier Corps ... but its sure good for the elites to keep them on top every year now, and so thats good for these elites, their fans, and their alums. At least SOME Corps are benefiting from the better service they are receiving, at the expense of the toilet paper level scribbles and such the have not DCI Corps are receiving in DCI, and from what we're hearing now is actually " the norm in DCI , and " not the exception".

Edited by BRASSO

In theory bud, you only make that mistake once. Then you tell someone later about it bwahahahaahahah.

But you made a blanket statement that they didn't do this sort of thing. That was a large bag of money tossed at someone who spoke a big game. And then sent us toilet paper with scribbles on it. I'm not certain this was an exception, but their norm judging by the treatment we received.

Well son, seeing as you are on The Raiders staff and given us very limited parameters to determine which designer it was.....why don't you elaborate?

Was this designer provided with adequate and timely information to create a high level product?

Did the corps live up to their end of the financial bargain?

Was their a musical book that allowed for a creative design or was it as much to blame?

It goes both ways.

Well son, seeing as you are on The Raiders staff and given us very limited parameters to determine which designer it was.....why don't you elaborate?

Was this designer provided with adequate and timely information to create a high level product?

Did the corps live up to their end of the financial bargain?

Was their a musical book that allowed for a creative design or was it as much to blame?

It goes both ways.

This isn't a Raiders issue. Good try throwing bait out like that though. This was back in 1997. I didn't even know about them then. I'm not throwing anyone under the bus, that's not cool. But merely explaining that yes, all those parameters you mentioned were met. A good book, A good idea, plenty of time to think it through, and then... stuff that just... was rough. So it was a bunch of money thrown away. It was very much a "we're not sure how to fix this"... we rewrote as we went, and fixed what we could. But finally, we just had to scrap it. And get someone else to rewrite.

Edited by C.Holland

The lesson then that we all naturally would come away with is that the lower placing Corps are even MORE exploited and taken advantage of, when compared to the treatment the elites get. Its regrettable, but its the reality, I suppose. This is yet ANOTHER example however of things that go on, that keeps these Corps where they are each and every year in the DCI pecking order. We hear now that a lot of staff writers give better service to the Elites than to the lower Tier Corps. Man, that sure sucks for these lower tier Corps ... but its sure good for the elites to keep them on top every year now, and so thats good for these elites, their fans, and their alums. At least SOME Corps are benefiting from the better service they are receiving, at the expense of the toilet paper level scribbles and such the have not DCI Corps are receiving in DCI, and from what we're hearing now is actually " the norm in DCI , and " not the exception".

No, it's not just lower corps, there are corps that are in finals that enlist others from the same upper part of WC to do the same. This isn't anything new in the activity and probably the way things work in many aspects of business. One wants what another has and thinks they will get it with XYZ. It can happen BUT often not.

There are some great staff that don't do this and have others best interest at heart and those who dont. This is also not just on the heads of the designers but the corps Admin. Often they only want the name and think it helps and won' t pay for more hands on, Of course that's IF someone is available to be hands on. Blame for this sort of thing usually isn't one sided although it certainly can and has been.

There have been director's that have also made promises that were never kept. There have been some in the activity famous for that sort of thing too.

Edited by GUARDLING