Corps 19-25 Placeing Higher

I also notice that 19-25 change directors a staff members a great deal. That can slow your progression down. A different directors with new ideas & direction that not on board with the current staff. Now you hire a new staff, you drop from 16 to 22, now it takes 2-3 yrs just to get back to 16-18 placement. This becomes a cycle

for about 8-9 yrs with some corps bouncing from 17-23 depending on the 2-3 new hot the trot failed directors within this time period or no consistence staff. The top tier corps aren't having stability problems like the lower tier corps are having which keeps some corps fighting it out with some OC corps. The bottom line is, new great idea corps director every so many years and staff = 19-23 placement.

......................To move up to 11-15 placement regularly what will it take? I need you opinion.

1) The desire of an organization, "if" that is their intent and goal. Some organizations are satisfied where they are, knowing more may be overwhelmingly burdensome and risky.

2) Lots of MONEY.

• Like 2

I also notice that 19-25 change directors a staff members a great deal. That can slow your progression down.

Schools and teams in most sports that tend to finish in the lower rung, also change Coaches " a great deal " too.

N.E. Patriots : Blue Devils.

Both have " Coaches " that will leave when THEY decide to leave... and only then. Having stability at the top at the leadership level is almost always a byproduct of successful organizations. Turnover is almost slways seen at the bottom rung.... including in the case of DCI, marching members moving up in an unrestricted manner to the elites as a DCI culture and one that is totally unique to DCI from any other competitive youth activity in the world.

Edited by BRASSO

Historically, Corps that have found themselves at placements below 16th, then were able to push themselves back into the Top 5 and to be regular Finalists most years, all had one thing in common..... they all at one time before were National Champions in Drum Corps ( or medalists at the least ). Troopers, Boston, Madison were all National Champions before. Blue Stars were 2nd and 3rd place finishers before at DCI Championships. The Cadets were a 16th or below DCI Corps in the early years of DCI, but they also had National Championships in their resume in the pre DCI years. Having a history of greatness at one time, does give these Corps a leg up on all the others attempting to begin to think that they might reach the top of the heap like this again some day too. The only start up Corps the last 40 years that is still with us that had no prior history of a top 5 finish in Drum Corps at a National Championship, but broke thru despite no prior history of greatness, is Carolina Crown and the Bluecoats. It does show then that its not impossible to break thru if you are a 16 or below Corps with no history of greatness before. But if only two Corps remains today that once took that voyage out of the many that have tried, it does demonstrate that challenges that beset all these perennial 16th and below Corps.

I apologize, i typed that incorrectly. I meant historical success as in successive years. Meaning what your corps has done the last few seasons. As opposed to what they corps has done 15 years ago. Often there are some preconceptions that success builds year to year. This can help or hurt a corps depending on what they did last year. Unfortunate nature of the beast.

• Like 1

Historically, Corps that have found themselves at placements below 16th, then were able to push themselves back into the Top 5 and to be regular Finalists most years, all had one thing in common..... they all at one time before were National Champions in Drum Corps ( or medalists at the least ). Troopers, Boston, Madison were all National Champions before. Blue Stars were 2nd and 3rd place finishers before at DCI Championships. The Cadets were a 16th or below DCI Corps in the early years of DCI, but they also had National Championships in their resume in the pre DCI years. Having a history of greatness at one time, does give these Corps a leg up on all the others attempting to begin to think that they might reach the top of the heap like this again some day too. The only start up Corps the last 40 years that is still with us that had no prior history of a top 5 finish in Drum Corps at a National Championship, but broke thru despite no prior history of greatness, is Carolina Crown and the Bluecoats. It does show then that its not impossible to break thru if you are a 16 or below Corps with no history of greatness before. But if only two Corps remains today that once took that voyage out of the many that have tried, it does demonstrate that challenges that beset all these perennial 16th and below Corps.

I know this thread is in regards to WC Corps [Div 1 BITD], but I thought I'd mention that both Crown [Div 2 '93] and Blue Stars [Div 3 '93, '01, '03] had DCI Championships to their credit. A national championship for each.

So I guess I should mention others who earned championships-some made WC finals as well....Academy, Magic of Orlando, Mandarins, Pioneer, Southwind, Vanguard Cadets, Cascades, Impulse, Crusaders, Raiders, Revolution.....I'm probably missing some others. sorry.

Edited by JAZZER

I know this thread is in regards to WC Corps [Div 1 BITD], but I thought I'd mention that both Crown [Div 2 '93] and Blue Stars [Div 3 '93, '01, '03] had DCI Championships to their credit. A national championship for each.

So I guess I should mention others who earned championships-some made WC finals as well....Academy, Magic of Orlando, Mandarins, Pioneer, Southwind, Vanguard Cadets, Cascades, Impulse, Crusaders, Raiders, Revolution.....I'm probably missing some others. sorry.

Yes, I did limit this to World Class Division Titles, or success, as the OP is asking us what it will take for the 16th and below Corps at present to move up in presumably the World Class Division. So I kept his question confined to previous World Class Division success ( not Class B nor Open Class previous success Corps might have had ).

Glassmen, Blue Knights and Crossmen have also moved into the top 6 positions over the years, during the late 90s and into the early 2000s. Out of the current 22 active World Class corps, 7(32%) have won a title. 14 (64%)of these corps have made the top 6, and

16 (73%) corps have made finals. There are currently only 6 corps in World Class who haven't made finals over the years, and all of them have moved up from Open Class/DII/III, 3 of them within the last decade. Again I still think many of the corps do things the right way, which sometimes makes it more difficult to move up the ladder, but will guarantee a future for the corps.

Glassmen, Blue Knights and Crossmen have also moved into the top 6 positions over the years, during the late 90s and into the early 2000s. Out of the current 22 active World Class corps, 7(32%) have won a title. 14 (64%)of these corps have made the top 6, and

16 (73%) corps have made finals. There are currently only 6 corps in World Class who haven't made finals over the years, and all of them have moved up from Open Class/DII/III, 3 of them within the last decade. Again I still think many of the corps do things the right way, which sometimes makes it more difficult to move up the ladder, but will guarantee a future for the corps.

i think with funding becoming scarce and grants going the way of the dodo, corps will increasingly be made to choose between throwing money at operations, or throwing money at artistic vision.

I'd rather them be alive longer than do what Magic of Orlando did.

I think Mandarins and PC are going to step up this year. I hear SCVC is going to be really good.

Speaking of the SCV organization,' havn't heard much about what the Vanguard are up too, these days either.