Crossmen announce 1992 show "Songs for the Planet Earth"

Seems a bit overblown. Meh. Time will tell I guess but what's with all the overwrought show themes these days? I just want to enjoy some music and some drill, not analyze someone's doctoral thesis in environmental science.

From the official corps press release:

The Crossmen, nine-time DCI Open Class Finalists and current champions of Drum Corps East, are proud to present our '92 program entitled "Songs For Planet Earth." Using a combination of original compositions plus adaptations of music of contemporary jazz/new age artists, the show will provide exciting, intriguing drum corps entertainment as well as a consciousness-raising experience for performers and audiences alike.

The inspiration for this show comes from the following quotes:

"If the earth were only a few feet in diameter, floating above a field, people would come from everywhere to marvel at it. It would be the greatest wonder known, and people would come to behold it, to gain knowledge, to know beauty and to wonder how it could be. People would love it and defend it because they would somehow know that their own lives could be nothing without it."

- author unknown

"The earth is an anomoly: in all the solar system it is, so far as we know, the only inhabited planet. We have an obligation to fight for our existence; to struggle, not just for ourselves, but for all those creatures who came before us to whom we are beholden, and for all those who will come after us."

- Dr. Carl Sagan

If explorers from another galaxy stumbled upon this blue sphere that we call "earth," they might try to discover the following:

1. How did it begin?

2. What is beautiful about it?

3. What is it made of?

4. What could destroy it?

5. Where does it travel in space?

The segments of our show relate directly to these five topics. The music for '92:

I. "Begin, Sweet World" by Richard Stotlzman - The show begins with a hauntingly beautiful melody played by a solo baritone. The guard set represents the earth's journey path and the hornline is scattered as "random particles in space." The planet solidifies and begins its journey through our solar system.

II. "(The Beauty of) An Appalachian Morning" by Paul Winter/Paul Halley - This composition, arranged for the corps by Matt Krempasky, uses intriguing melodies, complex harmonies and quickly shifting tempos, meters, and time signatures (5/4, 6/8, 5/4, 4/4, 5/4, 3/4) to create its musical interest and energy. John Miliauskas' drill and Todd Marcocci's choreography are non-literal in this production, so we encourage you to use your imagination to conjure images of "The Beauty of An Appalachian Morning."

III. "The Four Elements" (original) by Matt Krempasky/Mark Thurston - In ancient Greece, during the time of Empedocles, Plutarch, and Aristotle, there was a common belief that the four elements of earth, water, air, and fire were arranged in concentric spheres. Part III of our show is an original composition by brass arranger Matt Krempasky in which the low brass and bass drums represent "earth"; the altos, mellophones, and quints represent "water"; the sopranos and snares represent "air"; and the pit percussion and cymbals represent "fire." John Milauskas' drill is intended to depict the separation of the four elements leading to their ultimate union.

IV. "The Rain Forest" (also known as "Puma") by Full Circle/Mark Thurston - The terms "rain forest" and "jungle" are often (inaccurately) used synonymously. Rain Forests are the primary forests in regions in which rainfall exceeds 70 inches per year. They are characterized by an abundance of timber and a large and varied number of species of plant and animal life. Their largest areas are in the Amazon Basin of South America and the Congo Basin in Africa, and their preservation is absolutely essential to the ecological balance of planet earth. The corps' production represents our musical and visual portrayal of the Brazilian rain forest. It features Mark Thurston's percussion section and Todd Marcocci's auxiliary, and indicates our concern for the need for human tolerance and environmental sanity.

V. "Journey Under the Sun" by Paul Winter - During this incredibly beautiful and emotional music, elements of the corps re-establish the earth's "journey path" and the planet continues its journey under the sun - a small but significant planet revolving around our sun, in our galaxy, in our universe. We know that you will enjoy our show, and we hope that it will inspire you to cherish and care for the only home we've got: Planet Earth.

Edited by Hrothgar15
  • Like 1

Seems a bit overblown. Meh. Time will tell I guess but what's with all the overwrought show themes these days? I just want to enjoy some music and some drill, not analyze someone's doctoral thesis in environmental science.

Wow..can't wait to see how they do with this sh.......Oh....never mind. :tounge2:

Mother Earth was a far better and safer place in the Spring of 1992. For one, neither Justin Bieber, nor Miley Cyrus had arrived on her doorstep to belt out their songs yet ( oh.... just kiddin'.... well,..sort of anyway. )

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

What is 'Drum Corps East'?

DCE%201993%20poster.pngDCE%201993%20ticket.png

Poster and ticket from the 1993 Drum Corps East Championships. If my house catches on fire this will be one of the things I grab right after my wife and kid.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm thinking your screen name should have set off a bell.....

DCE%201993%20poster.pngDCE%201993%20ticket.png

Poster and ticket from the 1993 Drum Corps East Championships. If my house catches on fire this will be one of the things I grab right after my wife and kid.

are you sure it isn't kid, poster/tickets THEN wife??

be honest :)