Loudest Bb/F hornlines?

While the modern day band instrumentation was designed with less of an emphasis on pure volume and projection, there are still moments each season even today where hornlines approach the volume of old. What's the loudest Bb/F hornline you can remember hearing live?

For me, it's gotta be the 2007 Cadets. Especially early in the season before the dynamic contrast was added to Blue Shades, when they hit that push it was like a sheer force blowing you back into the seats. I don't think I've heard a louder hornline since that night in June nine years ago.

Runner up would have to be the Star of Indiana alumni corps in 2010. It was actually interesting to hear them play the exact same arrangements that the original corps did on G bugles, and they got impressively close to matching that level of power. Them opening with Belshazzar's feast didnt hurt either.

Last one might be more of a novelty effect, but seeing SCV at Stanford in 2014, the hit with the trombones in Scheherazade. I couldn't get over what that adjusted low end did to the sound.

How about you?

Edited by Hrothgar15

I would have to agree with the 2007 Cadet assessment.

Seeing as I've only been to 3 shows (2004 prelims and finals, 2007 DATR, 2014 DATR), I'm not sure how qualified I am to make this judgement. But Phantom Regiment in 2004's finals always sticks out to me. After that, SCV in 2004, then that SCV opening hit in 2014.

While the modern day band instrumentation was designed with less of an emphasis on pure volume and projection, there are still moments each season even today where hornlines approach the volume of old. What's the loudest Bb/F hornline you can remember hearing live?

For me, it's gotta be the 2007 Cadets. How about you?

Good choice, Cadets 2007 gets my vote as well.

Crown 2014 could crank it,too.

Edited by drumno5

The 2007 Blue Devils... DCI winning " Winged Victory " show would be right up there for me on " loud Bb/ F hornlines". if someone has a chance, just listen to their closer that season. Yes, some of that " loudness" in the closer can be attributed to the loud playing in the percussion section there at the end. But good gawd almighty, the loudness in that closer with the BD hornline could have shattered glass a mile away in a Pasadena pizza storefront window. ( haha! )

Edited by BRASSO

Carolina Crown 2013.... DCI winning year for them.... really had a brass line that could crank up the volume when it needed to that year as well, imo.

• Like 1

I agree with the rest on the 2007 Cadets.

I worked a show in Maryland that year, from the press box.... and Cadets' horn line that night had my teeth rattling. :tongue:

2009 and 2013 Crown's lines also knocked my socks off.

On the DCA/all-age side, props to the Reading Buccaneers.... several of their B-flat lines since 2005 have really brought the heat. Their version of "Adagio for Strings" in '05... the big hit was Level 11. LOL

I had the pleasure of seeing Crown 2013 in Allentown. Very loud hornline.

I wish I had the pleasure of seeing Cadets 07 live.

1992 Crossmen...I still haven't forget that impact!