TSA and Indy Airport: Possible Problems after Finals?

Flying to First Contest June 23rd or to Championships in August.

I thought you might find this an interesting read. Sundays after Finals should be "fun."

http://fox59.com/2016/05/17/indy-airport-says-theyre-prepared-to-handle-potentially-long-lines/

I fly a lot for my job. I fly all over the U.S. and have been to/through too many airports to count. I bought the TSA Pre-Check pass because of the amount of travel I have and it has saved me hours. Honestly, I hope few people buy it because then my Pre-Check lines will be longer. They've been getting longer already. The biggest common thing that slows lines down, is when someone's not paying attention to ALL the advisements about what can go through security. They are surprised when they get to the metal detectors that they have to empty coins out of pockets or take their Mr.T tribute jewelry off. The bring water, coffee,(dump them), phones in pockets, laptops, iPADS, DVD players in baggage to the detectors then realize they have to take them out and put it them a bin. How many years have we been doing this? They mean it when they say 3 ounces max liquids or gels (like hand creams & sanitizer).

I suggest research ahead of time, be prepared when arriving at the airport, keep your eyes & ears open and look for alternate shorter security checkpoints within the airport that get you to you gate area. With my TSA pre-check authorization I arrive one hour ahead and have not been stuck in any security line (except in Dallas last week). That was the longest wait in years. And as much as I don't want more people to get TSA pre-check I'd recommend it to any DC person who travel even 6 times/year. It's $85 and is good for 5 years. $17/year for shorter lines is worth it.

Plan well, execute rigorously.

Yes.

But ONLY if the airport you're flying out of has the PreCheck line open & running. It's been fairly common recently where the lines are long and the PreCheck isn't open. It's also been fairly common where the lines are long and the PreCheck is also very long (like this week in Chicago where there were 250+ people in line at PreCheck at 5:30am).

The TSA is absolutely awful and will likely not be getting much better by DCI Finals...

I've decided on taking a twenty minute flight from a small airport to Atlanta instead of driving to ATL. I'll only have to go through security at the small airport which serves a small Delta commuter jet. Arriving connecting flight terminals are not connected to the security areas. The problem for me will be flying out of Indy on Sunday morning. In the past however, the security lines seemed to move pretty quickly.

I don't know of any drum corps flying this summer as BD did previously. I presume Madison is bussing to the Pacific. But Indy after finals and banquets should be fun, especially with so many tired travelers carrying all their stuff back from tour. Don't stand in the way of all those instructors and techs running to make their fame and "fortune" at the next band camp.

Here's another take. https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/american-airlines-fed-tsa-taking-170621789.html

Edited by xandandl

The good news that there is not a ton of major events that weekend. A few concerts and what-not, but not the kind of things that will bring people flying in. Cirque's Toruk will be playing that weekend at Bankers Life Fieldhouse is about the most notable.

The convention center will have just wrapped GenCon from the week before and are only showing American Trucking Assocation's national championships (headcount of approx 2,000) for DCI weekend. The Moto GP at the speedway used to conflict, but it did not get renewed this year.

:thumbup:

Edited by mingusmonk

Yes.

But ONLY if the airport you're flying out of has the PreCheck line open & running. It's been fairly common recently where the lines are long and the PreCheck isn't open. It's also been fairly common where the lines are long and the PreCheck is also very long (like this week in Chicago where there were 250+ people in line at PreCheck at 5:30am).

The TSA is absolutely awful and will likely not be getting much better by DCI Finals...

I agree TSA CAN be awful. But for the most part during the 25 plus trips I took last year, All went pretty well. I am about to do 3 round trips to Dallas (DFW) over the next 3 weeks. I pray it isn't as bad as my last time through on the return. Outbound to DFW from Boston was fine. The DFW TSA back up, may have been only at the American terminal. Other airlines and terminals can be OK. And even at airports with TSA, some gates may not have TSA (Boston, Jet Blue for 2 gates). Check ahead, plan ahead. I'm going to look at the MiFlight app. Travel well all.

I agree TSA CAN be awful. But for the most part during the 25 plus trips I took last year, All went pretty well. I am about to do 3 round trips to Dallas (DFW) over the next 3 weeks. I pray it isn't as bad as my last time through on the return. Outbound to DFW from Boston was fine. The DFW TSA back up, may have been only at the American terminal. Other airlines and terminals can be OK. And even at airports with TSA, some gates may not have TSA (Boston, Jet Blue for 2 gates). Check ahead, plan ahead. I'm going to look at the MiFlight app. Travel well all.

Dallas has more than just American flying from it???