Underrated Shows

BK 2012: Avian

To me, this show was the beginning of the BK surge. It had it all...great, well-written music, emotional ups and downs, suspense, majesty, well-integrated guard, pit, drumline and brassline. Michael Cesario, that year, called BK's show ahead of it's time and I believe he was correct.

It had two defects...1) people didn't understand it and 2) while Sully is a legend, his somewhat outdated show design just wasn't the best for the show and the theme. BK corrected those two deficiencies in the next 3 years...and here they are.

Yes! Another very under-rated show! I listen to this one more than most BK shows.

BK 2012: Avian

To me, this show was the beginning of the BK surge. It had it all...great, well-written music, emotional ups and downs, suspense, majesty, well-integrated guard, pit, drumline and brassline. Michael Cesario, that year, called BK's show ahead of it's time and I believe he was correct.

It had two defects...1) people didn't understand it and 2) while Sully is a legend, his somewhat outdated show design just wasn't the best for the show and the theme. BK corrected those two deficiencies in the next 3 years...and here they are.

I'm personally a bit more fond of their 2011 show English Folk Song Suite! Not the most talented corps in the world but the arrangements were pretty nice

2003 Crown, SCV Bartok show a few years ago, BD 2001, 2015 Mandarins, 83 Geneseo Knights, 77 Knight Raiders, 82 Skyriders, 79 Guardsmen...

2004 PR - Apassionata 874. Caught between two huge years for the corps, and typically lost in the shuffle. Crazy difficult horn book at a time when corps were simplifying and streamlining. While they struggled to modernize visually that year, I can listen to this show over and over again.

2014 had a lot of underrated shows in it. Crossmen's 40th anniversary show, Academy's plain yet lovely "Vanity Fair," Oregon Crusaders' intense interpretation of "The Raven," and the Cascades starting their revival with "Turn."

1997 SCV

Yes they got 3rd, but the crowd reaction at the Citrus Bowl both live and on recordings simply do not do that show justice.

• Like 1

1997 SCV

Yes they got 3rd, but the crowd reaction at the Citrus Bowl both live and on recordings simply do not do that show justice.

That one and 98 both IMO, they get completely overshadowed by 1999. 1999 is actually my least favorite of their 1996 - 2004 era, it's still a great show, but I found 1997 and 1998 to be absolutely as entertaining, well designed, and INCREDIBLY difficult. The opening and closing of "Fog City Sketches" are some of my favorite minutes of drum corps, the last two minutes of that show are absolutely gorgeous. That's definitely an all time favorite, can say a lot of similar things about 1998.

• Like 1