Underrated Shows

I'm among those who agree that Blue Stars 2010 should have finished higher than SCV...but really, 91.9 at Finals in 8th place...still the highest 8th place score ever...and they did score 92 the night before if I remember correctly...great show anyways. There's a special place in my heart for the BStars that season.

Suncoast Sound 88 also...way ahead of its time.

I'm going to get a lot of crap for this...and I can't believe I'm even going to mention it....but here it is...a 2nd place show....

Blue Devils 2011. As much as I loved The Cadets' show that year, and am glad they won, I still think the Blue Devils were probably just a tad better.

I'm not necessarily saying its under-rated because they got 2nd and not 1st, but more so because nobody seems to ever talk about that show...probably because The Cadets took the season and everybody loved it, fan favorites, etc.,...BD kinda got put into the back shelf by most fans...but that show was musically tremendous - I love listening to it often on my way to work...in fact, the opener is currently my alarm clock ring tone.

Some shows you can just listen to without having to see the visuals - I can't stand listening to Cadets 2011 without seeing it visually. Blue Devils have some good shows to just sit and listen to. ( now I'm thinking of a new thread regarding this )

Bluecoats 2010 - another great show - should have gotten 2nd over Cavs ( I hated that show ) - another show a little ahead of its time, really cemented the Bluecoats' style - first medal for the group but thought it should have been higher - but nobody could touch the Devs that year - Devs were just on another level than everyone else musically that year.

I see folks mentioning Scouts 99 here, and while it didn't score that well it is still regarded as a Scouts classic. An underated Scouts show would be 98. Sandwiched between Pirates in 97 and JCS in 99 it is very much forgotten. But that show was solid, difficult (especially drumline), and a crowd pleaser. Maybe I'm a bit biased, though, since I marched that one.

I see folks mentioning Scouts 99 here, and while it didn't score that well it is still regarded as a Scouts classic. An underated Scouts show would be 98. Sandwiched between Pirates in 97 and JCS in 99 it is very much forgotten. But that show was solid, difficult (especially drumline), and a crowd pleaser. Maybe I'm a bit biased, though, since I marched that one.

That was my favorite version of Rememberance! Such a great show! Saw it in Denver.

The final Garfield Cadets (1988). The drill was very musical (if not slightly murky); the guard was icky. It was their first 50-50 coed guard and had a brand-new caption head (April G.). They went from 11th in prelims to 1st in 1989 finals. That's balls!

But the horn book was so rich and layered. It may have been their most "symphonic" show ever. Other than a couple of nifty early moves, it took until the end to inject emotion to the crowd. Following Madison's Maleguena on Final's night hurt more than helped---but there was absolutely no comparison between the two musically. Style won over substance.

The final Garfield Cadets (1988). The drill was very musical (if not slightly murky); the guard was icky. It was their first 50-50 coed guard and had a brand-new caption head (April G.). They went from 11th in prelims to 1st in 1989 finals. That's balls!

But the horn book was so rich and layered. It may have been their most "symphonic" show ever. Other than a couple of nifty early moves, it took until the end to inject emotion to the crowd. Following Madison's Maleguena on Final's night hurt more than helped---but there was absolutely no comparison between the two musically. Style won over substance.

Can you clarify if the bolded above is still referring to guard?

Phantom won guard at finals in '88. Garfield came in 9th. At least according to www.fromthepressbox.com

Can you clarify if the bolded above is still referring to guard?

Phantom won guard at finals in '88. Garfield came in 9th. At least according to www.fromthepressbox.com

Yes, that was guard. Garfield was 11th in guard in prelims. Madison won guard in prelims. And yes, PR in finals.