Underrated Shows

1999 Madison Scouts " Music Selections From Jesus Christ Superstar " ... it was Madison's best score they have received since '99, and garnered them a 6th place. I think if they get similar results this year with a redo of it, I 'd be happy. This was a real crowd pleaser that season, especially the closer musically and visually. Its underrated because in the list of great Scouts shows, it sometimes gets lost among several others that fans sometimes mention well before this one, imo.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2

1999 Madison Scouts " Music Selections From Jesus Christ Superstar " ... it was Madison's best score they have received since '99, and garnered them a 6th place. I think if they get similar results this year with a redo of it, I 'd be happy. This was a real crowd pleaser that season, especially the closer musically and visually. Its underrated because in the list of great Scouts shows, it sometimes gets lost among several others that fans sometimes mention well before this one, imo.

Never agreed more with a post so much on this entire forum.

For a historical choice, I would have to say 27th Lancers, 1981. It was a passionate show and in some aspects was better than 1980 though not as clean, and while it placed 4th, it was a very competitive season among the top four.

A more recent underrated corps for me is 2012 Bluecoats, especially musically. I can remember appreciating how great a show it was by seeing a non judged performance at Met Life Stadium. The show was rained out but the corps still performed and without electronics it was amazing and at finals later in the week it was amazing.

i honestly think Bluecoats 2013 was such an underrated show, especially when it was followed by Tilt.

• Like 1

Académie Musicale 1997. Metamorphosis. That was a good corps.

2014 Blue Stars, "Where The Heart Is." The "build a home" show. Great fun with a quirky twist or two... and the color guard was fantastic!!! They really helped sell the show.

Yes! That show didn't have a lot of "wow" moments but it was wall to wall charm. One of the quirky twists for me was the handing off the keys to the house.

Absolutely agree. It might actually be my favorite "anniversary" show done by any corps.

I LOVED that show!

Yes! That show didn't have a lot of "wow" moments but it was wall to wall charm. One of the quirky twists for me was the handing off the keys to the house.

The kids wrapped in bubble wrap and using two wheelers/dollys to get them on the field was a clever touch too.

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUL6c8uresg

2009 Cavaliers - The Great Divide

I actually really really really like listening to this one. I think there is some really great music in there, and that front ensemble adds so much character to that show it's not even funny. Maybe it is where they're blowing into coke bottles and speaking into caves......I think conceptually it's pretty strange, but turned actually turned out incredibly clever and entertaining. Color guard is incredibly fun to watch. Also, some of my favorite Gaines stuff.

2009 Bluecoats - Imagine

I will come right out and I have a mega huge softy spot for this one, was my first experience with a drum corps live. But this show is full of so much whimsy, character, and fun. They sound amazing in the final moments of this one. Kind of ahead of their time by about 3-4 years with the stretchy cloud tops they pull out in the closer. And that "Sky Blue" ballad? Gorgeous I tell you. Love it.