DESIGNER'S TOOLBOX - SETUPS

I'm sorry, I didn't get what you were asking. Of course I've read the Divine Comedy. It's not light reading. I had Cliffs notes by my side, believe me, and it was years ago. I asked that same question on this forum-- is that what you're referring to? I asked if forum posters here had even read a synopsis of the trilogy it so that they could better understand Carolina Crown's 2015 show, to which the meat puppets on here responded with general angst and plumber's crack defensiveness. It helps in understanding the opening, "Abandon all hope" line, for example. Is that what you're talking about?

I was referring to the fact that your synopsis of crowns show in another thread very highly indicates that you never read the inferno, considering Beatrice was not in the inferno. Your synopsis did however PERFECTLY mirror the video game adaptation of Dantes inferno. But good try.
  • Like 1

Of course I've read the Divine Comedy. It's not light reading. I had Cliffs notes by my side, believe me, and it was years ago. I asked that same question on this forum--is that what you're referring to? I asked if forum posters here had even read a synopsis of the trilogy it so that they could better understand Carolina Crown's 2015 show, to which the meat puppets on here responded with general angst and plumber's crack defensiveness.

Ahem. Again.

• Like 3

I was referring to the fact that your synopsis of crowns show in another thread very highly indicates that you never read the inferno, considering Beatrice was not in the inferno. Your synopsis did however PERFECTLY mirror the video game adaptation of Dantes inferno. But good try.

Princess, I don't know how to play video games, I'm Mormon. :satisfied:

When you say the Divine Comedy, nobody knows what you're talking about. That's why Crown opted to make the title Inferno- -it just sounds more intense, it's the most popular book int he trilogy, the most well known name, and fits the visual theme they chose.

So, based on your comment it's clear you would have named Crown's show Divine Comedy. (Take that through a focus group and see how it does.) Or maybe you would have named the show Purgatorio. Honey, that's why you're not a designer. Who was that at the end of Crowns show climbing through the clouds out of hell? Dante's waitress from the River of Blood Restaurant in the sixth circle of Hell? No, it was Beatrice, the featured ingenue from the trilogy-- first second or third book, that's of little consequence. Another example of musicians' left brained minds at work on this forum-- "if the show is named from the first of three books, no characters from the other books can appear." My. God.

Edited by Channel3

^ And that's why I don't take this guy one bit seriously.

Shoshanna, none of us is entirely certain you're even following the point of discussion! Here's a primer:

What's important:

1) Crown featured Beatrice.

2) None of the plumbers cracks here on Drum Corp Planet even read Inferno, or the entire Divine Comedy, or even knew who the female character was or cared.

3) I did. I schooled everyone, and years later people are still talking about it.

What's not important

4) Beatrice doesn't appear until the third book in the trilogy, yet my review refers to her in the first book, Inferno. My god, LaShaunda, who cares?

What do you mean?

Theatre sight lines and acoustics, in a venue, indoors or outdoors, may affect a viewer's response is what I mean. My understanding from DCP is that corps design for judges seated mid and high?

For what it's worth, I sit (my) right side during drum corps shows and sit (my) left side during winter guard events and recently I sat in the middle during an indoor drum line event. Cool experience.

Shoshanna, none of us is entirely certain you're even following the point of discussion! Here's a primer:

What's important:

1) Crown featured Beatrice.

2) None of the plumbers cracks here on Drum Corp Planet even read Inferno, or the entire Divine Comedy, or even knew who the female character was or cared.

3) I did. I schooled everyone, and years later people are still talking about it.

What's not important

4) Beatrice doesn't appear until the third book in the trilogy, yet my review refers to her in the first book, Inferno. My god, LaShaunda, who cares?

What's 'really' important: An epic allegorical poem written in 1320 by an Italian Statesman and Language Theorist.

What's not important... at all: Our poor attempt at prose and musings on this DCP site.

So, "Lighten Up, Francis." - Sgt Huilka

Princess, I don't know how to play video games, I'm Mormon. :satisfied:

When you say the Divine Comedy, nobody knows what you're talking about. That's why Crown opted to make the title Inferno--it just sounds more intense, it's the most popular book int he trilogy, the most well known name, and fits the visual theme they chose.

So, based on your comment it's clear you would have named Crown's show Divine Comedy. (Take that through a focus group and see how it does.) Or maybe you would have named the show Purgatorio. Honey, that's why you're not a designer. Who was that at the end of Crown's show climbing through the clouds out of hell? Dante's waitress from the River of Blood Restaurant in the sixth circle of Hell? No, it was Beatrice, the featured ingenue from the trilogy--first second or third book, that's of little consequence. Another example of musicians' left-brained minds at work on this forum-- "if the show is named from the first of three books, no characters from the other books can appear." My. God.

You're just digging yourself in deeper. Here is what you wrote in the Bluecoats 2016 thread:

"2015 Crown: Dante endured the seven circles of Hell to free the soul of Beatrice".

That isn't what happens in Dante's poem, not at all. If we could summon the shade of Dante, he would tell you not only that you misrepresent his tale (in at least two ways), but that what you describe is impossible.

And I saw nothing suggesting that was the story of Crown's show (who were certainly were under no requirement to stick to Dante's plot). Certainly they knew how to count!

(You really do have a knack for unusual insights. Lots of food for thought in your posts. But maybe try not to deliver them with so much scorn?)

Just about every reason some readers are challenged by your demeanor is summed up by those two points. (Referring to readers as "plumbers' cracks," stating that people are still "talking about it" years later, etc.) I'm a big believer in the power of tact and I respectfully encourage you to reflect on that. Peace.

• Like 5