Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

It's okay. They're like that with practically everyone. Lol. Welcome to the thread! Lmao.

nvm

Edited by Liahona

Contrabasses seem to be what's needed the most, since corps are starting to rely on synths for more of an "umph" from the low brass. I don't think sopranos are needed just yet. We already hear too much of the soprano voices and not enough of the authentic bass voices.

I agree on that point!

Doesn't look like Vance is making contras yet. Hi Vance, if you're seeing this!

That's a shame...guess time to revisit this 2018...LOL

Doesn't look like Vance is making contras yet. Hi Vance, if you're seeing this!

Hey...if it's a money issue I seem to recall this operation takes a bundle...he should approach BAC...they seem loaded right now...get an exclusive contract with them where they could share the profits on the sales of the contra's...and they influx cash on the development...yes a risk...but if it pays off in dividends...walla

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 1

I'm on a road trip from S Cal to Portland Oregon, so I'll be busy for couple of days.

The biggest difference between the trumpet and soprano is the "wideness" of the sound. For those who are confused with the difference, you can youtube 1986 Blue Devils and listen to their closer Spanish Fantasy, or 1988 Madison Scouts' Malaguena. Listen carefully to the loud cords. When you listen to modern day drum corps such and Coats and Crown, the trumpet is way up there, and they sound like a layer of voice is missing between the Trumpets and Mellophone. When you listen 86 BD and 88 Scouts, you can hear the Soprano, but they blended perfectly with the alto voices with no noticeable gap. The effect is that famous wall of sound without annoyance of the Bb trumpets sticking out on their own.

86 BD had 8 Contrabass, and 88 Madison had 9, they were clearly louder than today's 16.

With Amplification, companies such as Yamaha, King, and Jupiter only need to produce a 4/4 Tuba, not the 5/4 like before.

Talk to you guys in couple of days.

Have a great time making fun of each other...lol

Edited by Vance
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention. Yes, I am producing a 5/4 Marching Tuba based on the old King K90. The Kanstul Grande is also being used as reference.

The reason it's taking a long time is because I'm producing a sousaphone at the same time, so it pushed everything back a few months.

As for marketing strategy, I'm not going after any World Class corpsl. Yamaha, Jupiter and King got that covered by offering those groups free horns. As a boutique company, I don't see the point of fighting the big guys. As stated, my goal is to supply DCI Open Class, DCA, Sound Sport, high schools and colleges.

Raiders was a good experiment to hear my Bb soprano on the field and they did a fantastic job. Even though they only had five players this year they sounded like ten on the field. They did buy 12 horns and is expecting to have 12 players next season.

The next experiment is with Ayala High school from California. They are the Western Band Association Conference champions on numerous occasions and will be attending this year's Bands of America Grand National in November. The assistant band director Jim Rogers is the Baritone Soloist for BD in 1993/94, and soprano soloist in 1996. They will be featuring my Bb soprano with 24 players so I'm hoping for a good recording from BoA as my press material.

I can't wait to see them in action. They will be getting the horns in mid September.

Edited by Vance
  • Like 6

At age 6 my son (now a 3 year OC vet, 2016 SCVC) began experimenting on my Nixon Administration-era p/r G sop and 1980 vintage 2v G that I kept on gig stands in the music room. Even now when he plays his big bore Yamaha first then switches to the 2V G his reaction is the same: "Gawwwd this G is fun-- can I do alumni corps with you??" Maybe a Bb bugle is in his future!

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 4

Like all minor activities within the universe of the marching arts, diversity from marching band is drum corps' raison d'etre.

So,

regardless of the key, bore, etc., drum corps needs instruments that will guarantee that diversity (e.g., two valves, rotors, etc. ...whatever bands are unable to use).

• Like 1

If bands are unable to use them, and they're not taught in schools, how do we expect to hear Drum Corps play them at the level that the Bb horns are? Sorry, but I think if we switched back to G's the level of the performances would be hindered.

• Like 1