Corps moving to Bb sopranos from trumpets

in general providing members with the horns of today, rotated on a regular basis to newer and improved models, is a good thing overall and allows the players to focus on what counts.

....... and what" really counts", is the Show Design/ Guard. Cadets had a stellar brass line on 1st rate mfg. brass horns last season ( 2015 ), allowing the players in Cadets to win brass in DCI...... but that wouldn't even get them a bronze medal overall. Guards really havn't upgraded the " weapons of competition" in their Corps sections at all over the last 3 decades.. if anything, they've downsized or gone without the equipment for much of the show now ( compared to improved brassline equipment and its useage ). Oh well, things change, and what was once considered important has given way to other things deemed a bit more important now in these scores buildup points to be had.

Edited by BRASSO

....... and what" really counts", is the Show Design/ Guard. Cadets had a stellar brass line on 1st rate mfg. brass horns last season ( 2015 ), allowing the players in Cadets to win brass in DCI...... but that wouldn't even get them a bronze medal overall. Guards really havn't upgraded the " weapons of competition" in their Corps sections at all over the last 3 decades.. if anything, they've downsized or gone without the equipment for much of the show now ( compared to improved brassline equipment and its useage ). Oh well, things change, and what was once considered important has given way to other things deemed a bit more important now in these scores buildup points to be had.

I think there is a need for Bb rifles and F sabers. :augen51:

• Like 1

I think there is a need for Bb rifles and F sabers. :augen51:

If they're not G's, what good could they really be though ? ... ( ...haha)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Raiders were very successful with my Bb soprano this past summer and I expect them to excel to the next level in 2017 with a bigger group.

I was fortunate enough to have WBA (Western Band Association) champion Ayala High School on the Bb Soprano Bugle this past weekend. They took delivery of 24 horns last Wednesday night, and had about 4-5 hours through Thursday and Friday rehearsal and performed with the horns on Saturday night. It was a ballsy move but their assistant band direct Jim Rogers prepped them properly prior to delivery. I am very pleased with the result.

Sample one:

They didn't have enough time to do a full warm up, and I was only able to capture this video on the run. You can tell a few younger players had some problem adjusting, but over all I was extremely satisfied to have captured the final 20 seconds (before they tune the whole band). It was glorious!!! Again, please allow me to emphesize on the word blending. You can hear the Bb soprano blended much better with the mellophone, not sticking out like a sore thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syAUEvd-fvc

Sample two:

Their actual performance. Clearly there are issues to be iron out but from moment to moment, you can capture the old school drum corps sound! Also with my Mellophone and specially designed mouthpieces, that was probably the best sounding mellophone section I have heard outside of DCI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnebb5Fj4ac

Here is a semi good news. Couple of world class corps have contacted me. They want my Bb soprano... Just a matter of getting out of their contract with big corporations... Keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Vance
  • Like 2

Raiders were very successful with my Bb soprano this past summer and I expect them to excel to the next level in 2017 with a bigger group.

I was fortunate enough to have WBA (Western Band Association) champion Ayala High School on the Bb Soprano Bugle this past weekend. They took delivery of 24 horns last Wednesday night, and had about 4-5 hours through Thursday and Friday rehearsal and performed with the horns on Saturday night. It was a ballsy move but their assistant band direct Jim Rogers prepped them properly prior to delivery. I am very pleased with the result.

Sample one:

They didn't have enough time to do a full warm up, and I was only able to capture this video on the run. You can tell a few younger players had some problem adjusting, but over all I was extremely satisfied to have captured the final 20 seconds (before they tune the whole band). It was glorious!!! Again, please allow me to emphesize on the word blending. You can hear the Bb soprano blended much better with the mellophone, not sticking out like a sore thumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syAUEvd-fvc

Sample two:

Their actual performance. Clearly there are issues to be iron out but from moment to moment, you can capture the old school drum corps sound! Also with my Mellophone and specially designed mouthpieces, that was probably the best sounding mellophone section I have heard outside of DCI!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cnebb5Fj4ac

Here is a semi good news. Couple of world class corps have contacted me. They want my Bb soprano... Just a matter of getting out of their contract with big corporations... Keeping my fingers crossed.

Wow...it's amazing how I can really hear the potential here with a well trained line...I would LOVE to hear a world-class line on these horns!!! Please please please...someone like Madison on these would be killer IMO

• Like 1

Yesssss

• Like 1

Wow...it's amazing how I can really hear the potential here with a well trained line...I would LOVE to hear a world-class line on these horns!!! Please please please...someone like Madison on these would be killer IMO

I know I said this earlier... but I hope some DCA lines also take a look at these instruments. In the right hands...look out!!!
  • Like 3