Show Concept Rankings - 2016

No mention of Cohen's experimental piece as the central focal point or thematic essence. His song is listed among several other songs in the lineup.

The show itself is titled after the Cohen piece, and the logo directly has the lyric "Oh what a night that would be," an excerpt from that same piece.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Cohen's The Great Event is the thematic centerpiece of the show.

• Like 1

Change the video or the news item will say, "Local drum corps labels MLK a propagandist."

Or wait to see the show in action. It could be the message is that propaganda is used to silence the voices of goodness in our time (e.g. MLK Jr.).

Please excuse the double post.

Edited by Shempy

The show itself is titled after the Cohen piece, and the logo directly has the lyric "Oh what a night that would be," an excerpt from that same piece.

I think it's pretty safe to assume that Cohen's The Great Event is the thematic centerpiece of the show.

God Forbid we have to figure it out ourselves. Corps should just beat us over the head with the theme

That's not what the show announcement page says:

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-2016-show-the-great-event/

The Great Event

Denver CO

"The 2016 Blue Knights Drum & Bugle Corps is pleased to present, "The Great Event". Our creative mission at the Blue Knights continues to be a commitment to curiosity, experimentation, innovation and fun. Once again we are challenging ourselves to take inspiration from the world around us and create a brand new story. Our 2016 production ponders time, existence and the courage to stay open in the face of change. The ancient philosopher Heraclitus is credited with the quote "The only constant in the universe is change." Change is sometimes wonderful and welcome. Other times it shatters our illusion of safety and strength. It is human to wish for change when there is suffering and many show great courage in this endeavor. Through music, color, imagery and motion the 2016 Blue Knights want to bear witness to the human condition and celebrate how rare and beautiful it truly is that we exist. It may be the end of the story or it may just be the beginning of a great adventure."

- -

No mention of Cohen's experimental piece as the central focal point or thematic essence. His song is listed among several other songs in the lineup.

- - -

Here's what it does NOT say:

Leonard Cohen's 1997 experimental piece "The Great Event" is the creative impetus for our 2016 show where The Blue Knights will explore the theme of the end of the world, and working backward, like Cohen's mention of the Ghost Sonata played backwards, help us reverse time, build the courage to change the world, and value our experience here on earth.

THE GREAT EVENT

Song and Lyrics by Leonard Cohen

Its going to happen very soon

The great event, which will end the horror

Which will end the sorrow

Next Tuesday when the sun goes down

I will play the Moonlight Sonata backwards

This will reverse the effects of the worlds mad plunge

Into suffering, for the last 200 million years

What a lovely night that would be

What a sigh of relief, as the senile robins

Become bright red again, and the retired nightingales

Pick up their dusty tails, and assert the Majesty of Creation

- - -

See the difference, Princess? Pay Cohen his royalty fee and refer to the lyrics directly. Otherwise, we're lost.

Yes, the show THE GREAT EVENT with a direct quote from Cohen's THE GREAT EVENT right next to it definitely means that there is no correlation whatsoever. It's very obvious and they explain their concept very well.

I don't understand the BK show announcement being in last...I think that's more than a little unfair.

Just like last year, BK are trying to create an organic show that builds over the course of the season, not "HERE IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AND STUFFS". The show may seem a little fuzzy right now because they have not talked about an entire part of the show design (trust me it's cool)...for a hint, have you wondered why "Oh what a lovely night that would be" is backwards all the time?

BK design team are onto something, let it evolve...

• Like 1

I don't understand the BK show announcement being in last...I think that's more than a little unfair.

Just like last year, BK are trying to create an organic show that builds over the course of the season, not "HERE IS EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW AND STUFFS". The show may seem a little fuzzy right now because they have not talked about an entire part of the show design (trust me it's cool)...for a hint, have you wondered why "Oh what a lovely night that would be" is backwards all the time?

BK design team are onto something, let it evolve...

Well it's the posters opening, but you're right, it should be ranked where you believe it should be.

Those darn individual opinions always getting in the way.

I disagree with the OP's ranking of Cadets' show theme. I would rank it quite a bit lower.

I think Bluecoats are really gonna hit the nail on the head this year.

1) Bluecoats

2) Blue Devs

3) Academy - what a daring theme - have to give props to it

4) Blue Stars

5) Blue Knights

6) Crown

7) Troopers

8) The Cadets

9) Vanguard

10) Colts

11) Cavaliers

12) Scouts

13) Crest

14) Regiment

then everyone else

• Like 1

I disagree with the OP's ranking of Cadets' show theme. I would rank it quite a bit lower.

(Shocker)..

I think Bluecoats are really gonna hit the nail on the head this year.

(Although don't know what they're doing yet)

1) Bluecoats

2) Blue Devs

3) Academy - what a daring theme - have to give props to it

4) Blue Stars

5) Blue Knights

6) Crown

7) Troopers

8) The Cadets

9) Vanguard

10) Colts

11) Cavaliers

12) Scouts

13) Crest

14) Regiment

then everyone else

Edited by Tobias

We have a saying here in the UK about show concepts in modern Drum Corps, which I think is what the OP is saying...

"To much p3nis".