Preseason Excitement Poll - 2016 Edition

2016 Show Anticipation Poll  

163 members have voted

1. 1. What shows are you highly anticipating in the 2016 Drum Corps season?

• The Academy - The Drum Corpse Bride
    • Blue Devils - As Dreams are Made On
    • Blue Knights - The Great Event
    • Blue Stars - La Reve
    • Bluecoats - ?
    • Boston Crusaders - Quixotic
    • The Cadets - Awakening
    • Carolina Crown - Relentless
    • The Cavaliers - Propaganda
    • Colts - Nachtmusik
    • Crossmen - Continuum
    • Jersey Surf - Ebb and Flow
    • Madison Scouts - Judas
    • Mandarins - Forbidden Forrest
    • Oregon Crusaders - Hunted
    • Pacific Crest - The Union
    • Phantom Regiment - Voice of Promise
    • Pioneer - St. Joan of Arc
    • Santa Clara Vanguard - Force of Nature
    • Spirit of Atlanta - Georgia
    • Seattle Cascades - O
    • Troopers - hero.
    • Other

Need an option for "All of the above".

Because, seriously, all of the above.

I am certainly in this camp. I think I am most excited to see someone I am not expecting to thrill me come out with something unexpected. I remember in 2008 I heard Phantom Regiment was doing a Spartacus show, and I thought, "Ugh. They are trotting out that tired old pony again." But was I shocked to see that tired old pony was in reality a thoroughbred. Ever since then, I have set aside my knee jerk reaction to a show announcement to keep an open mind. Every year there is a show I didn't expect to be anything special knock me over the head and make a fan out of me.

• Like 1

Academy - because I know they will try to entertain me. There is a clarity to their purpose that shines through much of the rest of DCI.

BK - because what they are doing in DCI right now doesn't really have an analog. They could be the next medalist. Or not. They are a compelling story.

SCV - because they could put "Hot Cross Buns" on the field and I would pay to see it. For me, they are just That Corps.

SOA - because they are the other compelling story in DCI.

Troopers - because they are banging on the door, and not going away. They are doing the right things, the right way. They are loaded with rocket fuel. On paper, their show has the potential to bring grown men to tears.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

I am certainly in this camp. I think I am most excited to see someone I am not expecting to thrill me come out with something unexpected. I remember in 2008 I heard Phantom Regiment was doing a Spartacus show, and I thought, "Ugh. They are trotting out that tired old pony again." But was I shocked to see that tired old pony was in reality a thoroughbred. Ever since then, I have set aside my knee jerk reaction to a show announcement to keep an open mind. Every year there is a show I didn't expect to be anything special knock me over the head and make a fan out of me.

This is a good description of how I feel about Cadets this year. So many here say and report the corps that have done PoR, but I keep thinking Cadets' version is going to be completely different. And spectacular.

• Like 1

Academy - because I know they will try to entertain me. There is a clarity to their purpose that shines through much of the rest of DCI.

BK - because what they are doing in DCI right now doesn't really have an analog. They could be the next medalist. Or not. They are a compelling story.

SCV - because they could put "Hot Cross Buns" on the field and I would pay to see it. For me, they are just That Corps.

SOA - because they are the other compelling story in DCI.

Troopers - because they are banging on the door, and not going away. They are doing the right things, the right way. They are loaded with rocket fuel. On paper, their show has the potential to bring grown men to tears.

• Like 1

1. Crown- El Tango de Roxanne might end up being one of my favorite pieces ever marched. Has potential to be one of my all time favorites.

2. Cadets- Combing DCI brass, Mackey, and Respighi is enough for me to love any show.

3. Academy- I've absolutely loved the last couple years from them. Drum Corps Bride might me one of the more entertaining show themes I've seen.

4. Bluecoats- I love the groove of their music. Plus, Pat Metheny and Pink Floyd in the same show? Perfect.

5. Blue Knights- My favorite source music of the year. Absolutely love the direction they are heading in and this year should be epic.

6. Oregon Crusaders

7. Troopers

8. Blue Devils

9. Cavaliers

10. Santa Clara Vanguard

11. Madison Scouts

12. Phantom Regiment

13. Blue Stars

14. Boston Crusaders

15. Mandarins

16. Pacific Crest

17. Jersey Surf

18. Cascades

19. Pioneer

20. Crossmen

21. Spirit of Atlanta

22. Colts

Santa Clara Vanguard, Force of Nature - At first, was very meh about this announcement. Four Seasons and a broad nature show? Eh. But once I started listening to the music and who they added for brass, and I'm starting to think these guys will come out of left field and potentially shock us. They aren't using straight up four seasons, paired with the Stephen Melilio stuff, and this could be a really exciting show. They have a dream team of a staff, they're going to pump out a monster one of these times, and who knows.

This..

We'll know in a couple of weeks.

Edited by PresentArms
  • Like 1

After all the years of hype I’ve learned to ignore the hype.

The preseason here is about observing other DCP posters so you can set your filters and extract more accurate reads later in the season.

• Like 1

Just for fun, as of this post:

Carolina Crown - 40

Bluecoats - 36

Blue Knights - 32

Madison Scouts - 28

The Cadets - 26

The Academy - 24

Boston Crusaders - 24

Santa Clara Vanguard - 24

The Cavaliers - 23

Blue Devils - 22