Will Wildwood Be An Exhibition Only?

I'm still not over disappointment in knowing corps can no longer be "ready" by Memorial Day! Whether it's Memorial Day, June 18, maybe even later, NO corps stands still and waits for others to catch-up. Seems to me, there is nothing to be gained by delaying the first competition. One corps might get themselves more ready with 7 additional days to prepare, but other corps will give their own performances 7 more days of polish.

At some point, the corps WILL get a public number. Face it.

I'm still not over disappointment in knowing corps can no longer be "ready" by Memorial Day! Whether it's Memorial Day, June 18, maybe even later, NO corps stands still and waits for others to catch-up. Seems to me, there is nothing to be gained by delaying the first competition. One corps might get themselves more ready with 7 additional days to prepare, but other corps will give their own performances 7 more days of polish.

At some point, the corps WILL get a public number. Face it.

I hear you. But face it, the expansion of the activity and it's move towards a more educationally-based format means you won't have every single member every single weekend in the spring due to band concerts/trips, indoor percussion and guard, graduations, and other factors. Couple that with the fact that today's shows are many orders of magnitude more complex and difficult, and it's easy to see why it takes time to get shows field-ready.

There's no doubt in my mind that today's members and instructors could prepare a 70's-era show in a weekend or two, but who'd want to see that (let alone perform it)?

• Like 1

If you have high school kids in your ranks, you're going to lose some of them several weekends in May, some almost all of May in the NJ and NY area.

But that being said, DCA shows are more complex now. Which goes back to things many have stated in these forums that the amount of time available, to make these products what they should be, isn't enough for the demand. I'm not sure what it was like ten and twenty years ago, but there were corps at finals that seemed like they needed at least two or three more weeks to make their show finals worthy. I'm going to get hate mail for this, but I would say everyone's feet and body work needed two more weeks last year.

• Like 1

Why doesn't DCA have the ability to invite corps that are ready to compete? Bucs are ready, Cabs are ready. Maybe Sky or Cadets2 are ready. Just a thought!

Best of luck to "Frank" and his never ending conflict with the Jersey Shore sound system this year. Hello to my friend Fred W. & a thank you to John for his incite and "inside baseball" knowledge. Hopefully we will meet in the future John. I'm just 7 miles north of C'ville & I see you're in the T'dale area.

Edited by Oldbuc

Why doesn't DCA have the ability to invite corps that are ready to compete? Bucs are ready, Cabs are ready. Maybe Sky or Cadets2 are ready. Just a thought!

Best of luck to "Frank" and his never ending conflict with the Jersey Shore sound system this year. Hello to my friend Fred W. & a thank you to John for his incite and "inside baseball" knowledge. Hopefully we will meet in the future John. I'm just 7 miles north of C'ville & I see you're in the T'dale area.

LOL!!!! Thanks, Ron!!!

The mayor of Wildwood was a huge help last year when he hooked up an additional speaker, on the press box roof, for the PA system. That helped bridge the gap between the speakers "strategically placed" in either corner of the grandstand. LOL

Oh well. After 30-plus years of doing PA work, I know that no one pays attention to announcers anyway, anywhere, unless they are screwing something up. :tongue:

As to why corps might not be ready by mid June...

It's nobody's ###### business. Sorry, but corps work off a schedule that works for them, not what works for a given crowd at a given show. We all work within the known limitations of our own circumstances. We all do the very best we can with the members, staff, rehearsal sites, and schedule that we have to work with. The fans at that show are going to get the very best of what those corps can offer at this point in their season. Any numbers that are put out there this early in the season are pretty much meaningless anyway. The staffs will bet feedback and a critique where they can hear about what is working and what is not. That is all they can hope to get at this point.

I know this is probably not what fans want to hear but I will always side with what is best for the marching members and the corps as a whole. If those that are performing have deemed that a judged exhibition is the way to go then that is what it should be...in my humble opinion.

Dan

• Like 5

So is it getting to the point that they ( DCA ) are no longer needed? Perhaps they should just become a Division of DCI. Just have an Open Class divided by age. One for those under 22, and one for All Age Week Ends Only. . Seems that is the direction things are going.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

sad to see where this is heading...

no live online coverage...no dvd's... season being shortened... contests changed to exhibitions...contests in New England dropping like flies

I hope this changes in the next few years and things start to grow once more

• Like 1

As to why corps might not be ready by mid June...

It's nobody's ###### business. Sorry, but corps work off a schedule that works for them, not what works for a given crowd at a given show. We all work within the known limitations of our own circumstances. We all do the very best we can with the members, staff, rehearsal sites, and schedule that we have to work with. The fans at that show are going to get the very best of what those corps can offer at this point in their season. Any numbers that are put out there this early in the season are pretty much meaningless anyway. The staffs will bet feedback and a critique where they can hear about what is working and what is not. That is all they can hope to get at this point.

I know this is probably not what fans want to hear but I will always side with what is best for the marching members and the corps as a whole. If those that are performing have deemed that a judged exhibition is the way to go then that is what it should be...in my humble opinion.

Dan

I love this response. Can I buy you beer when you come to MD?

• Like 3

John, I have a question. Was it the sponsors wish or was it DCA's decision to have the first show not scored? Dan, numbers given "this early in the season" ? The season is now only two months long. DCA is not like DCI with weekday shows.