Will Wildwood Be An Exhibition Only?

A clap show? Who would've thunk it? Bottom line is that the corps who are ready next week will be at the top of the standings on Labor Day. The corps who are not ready, will not.

• Like 3

I think the biggest problem I see has been this pressure to have complete shows by the beginning of the season to be judged on. Ive said this before. I would much rather see a incomplete show that is somewhat clean that a complete show that is messy and dirty with bodies slamming into each other and music that doesent even resemble music. Yet... here we are. Some corps don't have their stuff packed and don't have a complete show because of the complexity and now they feel like they are going to get sacked with a lowball score because their show is not complete. So what do they do?? They make a phone call and say can we please not get judged this weekend??

Calm down everybody. No numbers in Wildwood...Who the hell cares, just enjoy yourselves.

Like fecontra, we were at the caballeros camp on Sunday, as musically uneducated visitors. The weather made for a pretty uncomfortable day, cool and windy, but the corps worked their butts off and in my humble opinion, The Caballeros are ready, you will totally enjoy this show, there is this haunting melody that you will hear during the entire performance and then comes the finale. I think it is great.

Just a disclaimer. We have no affiliation with the Hawthorne Caballeros or any other drum corps, DCA or DCI. We are just 2 people who have been following the activity for 46 years and we know when we are being entertained.

GO CABS

• Like 4

Just curious...

Do you buy a ticket to a show to watch the corps give the best performance they can at that point in the season, or do you buy a ticket to see a number at the end? If it's for a number why not save the money and see the numbers posted here 10 minutes after they are announced? If it is to witness the corps giving the best they can at that point then the numbers don't matter anyway. The entertainment value is always subjective to the person that is paying the money but the level of completeness or performance quality is never less than the very best those members can give at that point. We haven't marched in their shoes. We haven't been subjected to their individual circumstances so who are we to judge? I am pretty confident that nobody walks onto a field and gives anything less than the best they have to offer. Is that worthy of your dollars for the ticket? Nobody can answer that but the person sitting (or not sitting) in the stands on any given night.

Personally, I feel that witnessing the best efforts of individuals that have given their time and money and sweat to try to create something of value with other like minded individuals has value in and off itself.

Just my $.02 as always.

By the way, on a personal note, I can't wait to see everyone in Baltimore in a few weeks!

Dan

• Like 1

By the way BigW...just re-read your post to see that you are going to be in Baltimore. If we don't meet up in person this time I am going to start griping all over DCP that it is an anti southern drum corps conspiracy! ;)

Dan

• Like 1

What Dan said.

I don't care what the scores are. I just want to see a good show. Bottom line.

Of course, since I'm not a member of a corps or involved as a staff member of any corps.... it's easy for me to say "I don't care what the scores are." LOL.

Fran, I think that the attendance at Wildwood ( no scores) will give some insight to the paying public's willingness to attend shows for a month without placements. Would no scores hurt attendance for the July no score shows? If so, that might hurt the sponsors pocket.

In my highly subjective, speculative, off-the-cuff, "I'll just throw this out there" post above....LOL... I'm not suggesting there should be "no score" shows in June or July.

Just a shortened season... scores at every show... all corps in, every weekend, at various sites around the DCA geographical reach. All of the corps with fully-prepared shows from the get-go. (Of course, knowing that as the weeks go on, those shows will obviously get better with even more rehearsal and performance time under the corps members' belts.)

I absolutely understand the corps' reasons for perhaps not being fully ready to go at a point in June or early to mid-July. As Dan and the others have said... there are all sorts of factors involved, several of them completely out of the control of any drum corps organization. It is unbelievably tough to keep a corps going these days, at any level... and I admire those who are still working hard at doing so.

But... to the average fan... it might be tough to explain to them, at an early season show... "hey, it's a bit rough now... but come see us in late August!!!" Especially if that fan either only plans to attend that one show, or is new to the activity altogether and might be wondering why the product isn't better.

In an activity dependent on ticket sales.... the "are the corps ready to go" equation has to be taken into consideration.

By the way BigW...just re-read your post to see that you are going to be in Baltimore. If we don't meet up in person this time I am going to start griping all over DCP that it is an anti southern drum corps conspiracy! ;)

Dan

Dan, having lived in the Baltimore area since 1991... there still are a bunch of folks here who consider Baltimore and other parts of Maryland (including western Maryland... the Frederick area....where the July 2 show is being held) to be part of the Deep South. :tongue:

The reason for my original post was, like others, I want to see entertaining shows at Wildwood. What I don't want to see is corps playing & marching for half the show & then playing the rest of the book from a semi-circle.

If June 18th is too early for a completed show, then I agree that the calendar might need to be adjusted.

• Like 2

Funny thing is I got a flyer e-mail today from DCA saying in completion and listing the 4 corps .