Will Wildwood Be An Exhibition Only?

Dan, having lived in the Baltimore area since 1991... there still are a bunch of folks here who consider Baltimore and other parts of Maryland (including western Maryland... the Frederick area....where the July 2 show is being held) to be part of the Deep South. :tongue:

The last time I competed in Baltimore. I found the FANS to be Great people, that responded well. Same for the place we practiced.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 2

The last time I competed in Baltimore. I found the FANS to be Great people, that responded to well. Same for the place we practiced.

I've heard from members of various corps who competed at the Yankee Rebels' March of Champions show that the showers at Eastern High School... across the street from Memorial Stadium in Baltimore... were the coldest in the history of drum corps. LOL.

A footnote to that show... years later, early 2000s, my wife Barbara ended up working at what had been Eastern High when Johns Hopkins moved its IT operations there. Hopkins had previously purchased the building.

Small world.

In 1966 I was sent to Ft Holabird, Army Intelligence School (I know, an oxymoron) in the Dundalk area of Balmere. (proper pronunciation) My 1st night there, a Friday night, I was getting settled in & I was sure I heard a drum corps playing. I walked outside & just on the other side of the fence was the GM parking lot & YR practicing drill on the asphalt.

Between Reb's practice & working with St Pat's Jr corps I had alot of drum corps & steamed crabs in few months in Baltimore!

Edited by Oldbuc

Well, Well, Well, it's been years since I have posted on DCP, but when my phone blew up with everyone calling me about this post I felt compelled to respond.

The conversations about an evaluation show started in the fall and was debated at the winter meeting. This is not a new concept, back in the 70's and 80's the DCA started it's season in Mount Carmel and later Danvile PA with exhibition shows and I can tell you I remember finishing the EXIT (yes I'm old) an hour before we went on the field and that was with 50 pages of drill.

In the 90's we had evaluation shows, the DCA brought in all of the judges and the judges meeting was at a nearby hotel for all of the corps and BTW it was the second weekend of June.

Why did it come up for this year? We have been having problems getting corps to sign up for he show because they did not believe they would be ready with a complete show.

Mr. Adcock was on the money with his explanation why this is happening, between, winter percussion programs, guard season going until the first weekend in May, band trips, proms, graduations just to name a few issues that come up and lets not forget they are learning 120 sets with choreography. Many of the corps don't have a full corps until the beginning of June so we can understand the problem.

With the costs of putting a corps on the field, I hope you can appreciate why they want to put their best foot forward and not be judged with an incomplete show.

To the person talking about the lack of interest in the show, tickets sales are up from last year.

It is our hope to put together a fan favorite phone app so the fans can be the judge.

The truth is the Wildwood weekend has always been a great weekend to get the show on the field but more important it is to give our members a chance to get to the jersey shore before a long season. We hope next year that more corps will take advantage of this opportunity to get their corps in front of a crowd.

Peace Out!!

• Like 6

1997... Barbara and I went to the 135th anniversary re-enactment of the Antietam Civil War battle in western MD. At one point, a group of Union soldiers came walking past and people in the crowd started booing. :tongue:

even along the PA line you see the flag that shall not be mentioned flying

Well, Well, Well, it's been years since I have posted on DCP, but when my phone blew up with everyone calling me about this post I felt compelled to respond.

The conversations about an evaluation show started in the fall and was debated at the winter meeting. This is not a new concept, back in the 70's and 80's the DCA started it's season in Mount Carmel and later Danvile PA with exhibition shows and I can tell you I remember finishing the EXIT (yes I'm old) an hour before we went on the field and that was with 50 pages of drill.

In the 90's we had evaluation shows, the DCA brought in all of the judges and the judges meeting was at a nearby hotel for all of the corps and BTW it was the second weekend of June.

Why did it come up for this year? We have been having problems getting corps to sign up for he show because they did not believe they would be ready with a complete show.

Mr. Adcock was on the money with his explanation why this is happening, between, winter percussion programs, guard season going until the first weekend in May, band trips, proms, graduations just to name a few issues that come up and lets not forget they are learning 120 sets with choreography. Many of the corps don't have a full corps until the beginning of June so we can understand the problem.

With the costs of putting a corps on the field, I hope you can appreciate why they want to put their best foot forward and not be judged with an incomplete show.

To the person talking about the lack of interest in the show, tickets sales are up from last year.

It is our hope to put together a fan favorite phone app so the fans can be the judge.

The truth is the Wildwood weekend has always been a great weekend to get the show on the field but more important it is to give our members a chance to get to the jersey shore before a long season. We hope next year that more corps will take advantage of this opportunity to get their corps in front of a crowd.

Peace Out!!

:babies:

As with most things, some aspects can be chalked up to the new world we find ourselves in, and I can only speak for one corps so . . .

We have a Dec and Jan camp for brass and percussion and then we don't see anybody again until the last weekend in April after WGI wraps up. We currently have two indoor groups, and alongside all the kids who do indoor somewhere else, the weekends of 'allhonorsomethingdistrictstateband', you take a weekend or two to solidify who you have and get rolling in May just in time for the weekends of college graduation and high school graduation.

Our average age across the org is 17.5, and I'd love to tell everybody to stop missing rehearsal or else, but we all know that that's not realistic for a circuit where a significant number of corps struggle with just staying 'full'. So you take who you have each weekend and keep pushing forward even though you have a large number of folks out each weekend.

This for sure is not the case for all corps I'm sure, but that's the case for many.

The influence of scholastic and indoor had risen and there are only so many weekends in a year, so somebody has to lose out.

Nothing is the way it used to be, a point no more clear than the fact that I'm posting this on a phone that could blow my first computer out of the water.

• Like 4

I hear ya, All!!!

1980 with the Sunrisers... I taught the French horn player next to me our exit drill.

During the first show. :lol:

A sure sign your corps might not be totally prepared. LOL.

He was a drum corps rookie... lived in South Carolina, marched with a college band there... and had missed the rehearsal where we kinda sorta finished the exit. :ninja: And we didn't work on that portion of the drill on show day (in Clifton that year).

So I had to get him through the exit drill while we were performing. "Hold for 8.... forward 12... left flank, forward 8....follow the leader here for 8..." and so forth. I remember the field visual judge walking near us and giving us a "you're kidding me" sort of look. :tongue:

So... like you said, nothing really new here.

• Like 5

98 here in Florida and humid ,hope you have better weather up there tomorrow night