I guess Facebook has killed

I am still hoping to get to a show this year. Grand Prix - in Clifton, or the Tournament of Champions - in Bayonne.

After over 50 years in Drum Corps. Competed 1962 - 2002. Then Alumni Corps till 2012. Now back to being a Fan. (Saw my First Show in 1960. The New Jersey VFW State's.)

I Need :

Someone to drive my van from Jersey shore area to and from show.

Have to have help getting into stands.

Even then I have to be having a good Health day, and Good Weather also.

Would that be reviews of drum corps, or of your wedding? :smile:

you will not get a review of my wedding. i'm just doing what i'm told on that one. hahahahahaha.

• Like 5

To BE OR NOT 2B Clifton is the better show more corps for you to see,

I dont think it was facebook that has killed this. It was mainly mean people. One big thing that has really hurt is that most corps don't want their members to post. I have to agree with some of the corps directors after seeing how some posts have been responded too. I remember a poster saying that their caption head was not at a weekend camp then there were 5 pages of replies accusing the staff member of all kinds of stuff most with no backing. Another time a marcher commented that he had lost some weight and there were 5 pages of people making fun of overweight people (people shuld be glad for someone doing something constructive and losing weight). Seeing those responses if I were a Corps director I would tell my folks to never post on here. Probably the people who make the rude comments are no longer on here, but that rep has hurt the sight at least to corps staffs. I don't think people stopped posting because of facebook.

• Like 1

In my opinion one of the reasons that reviews have dwindled is that reviews are hard to write. I like to watch a show look at it and see how it is developing. I cannot take notes while watching because I will miss something. So a review is scrambled thoughts that I have maybe 12 hours later when I get home. Also I think a second viewing of a show you may actually have things to look for be able to take notes knowing when and where you need to look. I spent a long time as an operations planner in the Military so I am a bit of a logistics wonk. I think it is worthy of a good review that someone got 120 people of diverse backgrounds together, raised money for busses, and instructors, and motivated them to come perform in from of an audience. Even if it is a bad show in my book that deserves kudos. The other Military trait that drives me nuts is poorly fit uniforms, you put all that time into practice, it is a shame to wear a sloppy uniform and not appear as sharp and clean as you should.

What I think people reading reviews miss is that that review is the reviewers perspective. I can tell you how the battery percussion did and the Judges usually agree with me. However I can only say the horns sounded good or they were a little off, however Big W can say exactly who needs improvement in that area. Guard is something I am just learning, again my review can only be general, I can see obvious errors, but I cannot rightfully judge the technicality of 2 different dances moves that would both send me to the hospital if I attempted them.

One reason for the negative feedback is that folks assume you are a CG expert or a brass expert and think because your review didn't pinpoint the exact error. If people want reviews they need to accept that not everyone is an expert in every caption. Most reviewers paste negative things hoping that if the judges missed it maybe a corps member will read it and be better in that area the next time.

I also do not think a beginner corps needs to be beat up over a poor showing. I actually enjoy seeing Excelsior each year. Yes their uniform fit could use improvement, but most of the kids with them seem to be learning DC. I see them counting out loud at times which might not be good for DCI but they are learning. I think their shows try to be entertaining knowing they won't win. Some other corps though try shows to difficult for them based on their time commitment or experience level again I don't want to fault players but someone has to point out that they tried something that they weren't ready for. and the reviewer who points that out will probably get hate mail. Sky the first season needed improvement, but I don't think a review lambasting them would have helped at all. they were brand new and trying to compete open class, no one should have been expecting something great (C2 though had higher expectations from the start)

I have only seen one really bad show at DCA prelims and I chose to not review them, but that corps had put very little practice into their show, and it appeared they had put half the show together the week before. I feel something like that is not worth a reviewer wasting his or her effort telling them how they can improve. Yes I think that the corps actually should thank a reviewer for taking their time and effort to give a good though review. I know I am not a good reviewer, but I post reviews so that at least people can see that someone was there and actually saw the their show.

• Like 2

There was a Garden State Circuit corps, Southern Illusion that had about 6-8 horns and about 6 percussion, pretty much diamonds and squares. That being said, they actually did present a pretty decent show with not a lot of people to do it with.

Thankfully, now there's Soundsport and the I and E events where groups that small can present something.

Yep, I have been here for a while and sometimes you get people that respond to a post in the meanest way. I understand that everyone has an opinion. I understand that my opinions may not be someone else's and that's cool. What irritates me is that some people feel they are god's gift to this activity and that they know more about topics then everyone else. I respect your opinion but when you attack me or anyone else for their opinion you have stepped over the line. I took some time away from DCP because of that. I even get chastised for talking about things that happened in the 70's by someone who doesn't know me.

So I don't think it's FB but more like...."If I respond to this post will I get attacked? Not worth it!"

Even before the internet, corps members had to learn when to keep things between the corps and when to shut up with other corps around. It was part of the "maturing process". With social media, even moreso since people can read it.

All I know is the way someone from another corps 35ish years ago mouthed off around my sister still irritates me.

Myself, that's one thing. I'd have laughed them off for what they did. Mouthing off to my sister and treating her with a lack of respect is another thing. I'm happy I wasn't present when it happened.

In my opinion one of the reasons that reviews have dwindled is that reviews are hard to write. I like to watch a show look at it and see how it is developing. I cannot take notes while watching because I will miss something. So a review is scrambled thoughts that I have maybe 12 hours later when I get home. Also I think a second viewing of a show you may actually have things to look for be able to take notes knowing when and where you need to look.

What you right all sounds correct to me, but it's not clear to me that reviews should be any harder to write now than they were a few years ago.