Intrigue In Indy

I see that comas go over your head.

Maybe it's a medically,induced comma.

Lol comas? I've never been in a coma...but perhaps you meant comma? I'm on my phone and takes too much effort to flip to find the comma button when the period button is right next to the space bar.

A typo vs. the blatant disregard of the English language.

Nice try, kid.

I see the concept of "context" went over you're head, too.

<keeping the autocorrect blunder for humor :silly: >

Edited by CloudHype

Did not get to reply earlier. I arrived home form the theater to find my internet down. I have not re4ad other posts yet.

Going into this evening's show, I thought placement would be the same order we saw the corps. I figured the top three would all be within a point and 4-6 would have been within a point or so.

My thoughts:

BAC: Not sure if amplification issues were the theater or the corps. The theater was playing with volume throughout the show. The musical book is very good and overall the show is strionger at this point than 2013, 2014, or 2015. I would like to see the horn line have a bit more power. The windmills may need to be placed a bit differently but it has the potential to be an endearing show and it should be a good season for the corps.

Cavies and Phantom: Enjoyed both but I'm not sure I saw what I was supposed to see. I thought Cavies had a bit of the attitude I associate with the corps and some great moments though a bit uneven. Can't say the singing works for them. Phantom has some great moments musically, particularly the ballad, and if "Young Person's Guide" can be cleaned up a bit, it could pack quite a punch, but I felt they were a bit unprepared and they did not seem to have much enthusiasm, but this was a first show and I did not see signs of the cataclysmic fall for PR some have predicted.

Of all the shows this evening, Cadets has me most puzzled. I liked it but at the same time it was jittery and a mess by Cadets standards.The drill is fast paced as we expect from Cadets and demanding. I thought they handled the Respighi well. Lots of dropped equipment, or at least lots of dropped equipment within the view of the camera. Of course with Cadets tweaking is something they are never afraid of doing and talent is a given and last year I thought the theater performance was not great, saw them live a week later, and was amazed at what I saw, but I think they will have a hard time catching Crown and Bluecoats, and most likely Blue Devils.

While many have been predicting great things for Bloo, I did not expect a disaster, but thought it could be a rebuilding year. Very wrong. Whether this show will be the gold depends on what Crown does with their show and what Blue Devils bring to the table, as well as what Cadets do through the season, but this show is intriguing and it is performed with apparent ease, and I like that in many ways they do more with less. I am looking forward to seeing them in New England next weekend.

Crown's show has great potential, but it needs more color and tweaking. I understand it is a darker themed show but it felt crowded. I do see it placing in the top three and first is not out of the question, but they've got some work to do, and I fully expect that when I see them live which will not be until Allentown, and I'm sure it will be a very different show.

Overall, excellent first performances, could be quite a season.

I didn't watch the Chaplin thing. Maybe when I get home on wifi i will.

I think it would be a good idea if I laid off the political commentary for the remainder of the season. Knowing how passionate I can get about things, I will end up starting a war in here that we don't need...my apologies.

Secret Society had the whole drum corps thing going for it...symbolisms having to do with The Cavaliers, the machine gears, splooie, etc. It really helped make the show cohesive. This show is just in a different direction.

Lance talked about BC in his very nice post. Kinetic Noise was very different than Tilt and this Propaganda show is more closely remniscent of the Crossmen Protest show than the Secret Society show.

Bluecoats should have people hanging upside down (or should I say downside up) on the ramps when they play. Also sideways and every other which way Willy Wonka describes his glass elevator goes. If they are going to go all theatrical production on us, they need to do much more than what they are doing now.

It's still early yet and I will get the pleasure of seeing it live in Massillon in August.

No. It was the stupid autocorrect.

I just need to proofread; punctuation is rarely an issue.

I'm an English teacher, believe it or not, but I couldn't possibly care less about it on social media/message boards.

I just type fast. Punctuation and oftentimes capitalization suffer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm an English teacher, believe it or not, but I couldn't possibly care less about it on social media/message boards.

I just type fast. Punctuation and oftentimes capitalization suffer.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Punctuation is a big deal for me. I just like to see a persons thoughts as clearly as possible.

Personally speaking, it has become a pet peeve since I returned to school. The only thing that bothers me more is people making political comments in unrelated forums. When combined together, I can't resist. :)

Edited by CloudHype

I noticed a few people here indicated they were confused by Boston's windmills. That shape also is their very first set, back in the corner. And a related shape, that of their show logo (which you can see regluarly on these forums in Liahona's signature), turns up about halfway through the production.

The source is Pablo Picasso's 1955 often-reproduced painting of Don Quixote. Look closely at the bottom for the windmills:

1391421_427907527363120_6667701088332696

That image was created for the book's 350th anniversary. I love how Boston has brought the skewed look to life.

The musical Man of La Mancha, when some of BAC's music derives, was adapted from the novel in 1964.

For those who don't know anything about Don Quixote, and have no more time to read a long two-part novel now than they did to read a long three-part poem last year for Inferno: it is the story of an aging nobleman, Alfonso Quixano, who is steeped in chivalric tales but lives in a more prosaic age, and deludes himself into thinking he actually is a knight, Don Quixote. He enlists his bemused agrarian neighbor, Sancho Panza, to be his squire, and they set off on adventures that take place more in the man's mind than in reality. In one episode, he mistakes windmills for giants. And yet for all his mistakes, and all that he is mocked by the people around him, and all the author's intentions of skewering chivalric romances as nonsense, still readers find much to admire in his courtesy and admiration.

Crusaders adapted another novel featuring a windmill just two years ago.

• Like 2