DCI Theater Premiere Review

Brevity is important to me. Long-winded reviews are boring. Mine is borderline long-winded, so only borderline boring.

I think every kid who chooses to perform in DCI is amazing.

Boston

Love the music and the theme. Unsure about most of the staging, especially the end. I'm sure it'll all get worked out. "The Impossible Dream" needs to be prominent at the beginning of the show since it's quixotic and all, and I love the ending. The stylized windmills are pretty neat, and I have ideas for how they could be used more effectively, and I look forward to seeing the choices the program coordinator makes.

Cavaliers

My favorite Cavies show in years. The last minute or so is super effective, and I totally get it. Color guard and corps proper unis are too similar. Looks like a mess, and I think that will continue even when they get it clean. Maybe it's intentional, but I don't find it effective.

And Meow Mix

Phantom

Ballad is beautiful. Closer is fun. All sections are strong visually and musically. I don't understand many of the design choices regarding staging, uniforms, or overall color palette. I'm sorry this is so short. They look and sound great, but I just don't know what they're trying to convey yet.

Cadets

Man, there is a lot going on. Filthy dirty, which is completely understandable.

Like a lot of shows that have so much content, a lot depends on the performance clicking on all cylinders for it to work. Right now, it just doesn't.

All captions are strong, but it's all kind of a big question mark for me right now.

I think the musical choices work well...stoic statues for appian way, they start to have fun with life in villa borghese, and then it all goes chaotic for the poor statues with the nightmarish music choice at the end. That's all fine. But there is nothing that binds it together visually, or at least not enough. I need laurel leaves, classically draped fabric, pillars, at least at the beginning. I like the half-formed ideas with moving and then freezing, and moving and then freezing, but it's not very effective yet. We'll see how this show develops.

Bluecoats

Tilt is in my top 5 favorite DCI shows ever.

Kinetic Noise was great, too. I disagree with all of the people who were calling it "Tilt 2". The musical and visual choices were a lot different, IMO.

Their 2016 production is a WGI show with some brass ostinatos thrown in as an afterthought. They perform the ever living #### out of it, and the kids should be supremely proud of what they're doing.

I know that DCI has been WGI-ified for the past half decade and more, but there's always been a pretty solid line between the two. The Bluecoats effectively obliterated that line tonight. I know that a lot of DCI fans think it's great, but I'm just not a WGI fan.

I subscribed to the full package for DCI Live, so I'll get to see this show several more times. Maybe it'll convert me to a WGI fan. We'll see. It looks like the judges rewarded the direction they've taken, so I'd better get used to it, I guess. They're probably a mortal lock to make top 3, and it will inspire a lot of corps to go there, too, I'm assuming.

This is the most like a dinosaur I've ever sounded.

Crown

I'm thankful for this corps on many levels, and this year's show reminded me of the most importaant for me: they give at least equal weight to musical ideas as they do to visual ones.

Their brass is always strong, but I feel their low brass is particularly strong this year. Klesch is a genius, and this is probably the most understated brass book he's come up with in many years, but I think it's brilliant.

I'm not a guard person, but what they're doing seems very strong to me, as usual. I love how the music can tell the story almost on its own, but the guard takes it to another level.

This is also the first year I can ever remember where I really took notice of their battery and pit. Sounds great.

Edited by Lance
  • Like 2

Brevity is important to me. Long-winded reviews are boring. Mine is borderline long-winded, so only borderline boring.

I think every kid who chooses to perform in DCI is amazing.

Boston

Love the music and the theme. Unsure about most of the staging, especially the end. I'm sure it'll all get worked out. "The Impossible Dream" needs to be prominent at the beginning of the show since it's quixotic and all, and I love the ending. The stylized windmills are pretty neat, and I have ideas for how they could be used more effectively, and I look forward to seeing the choices the program coordinator makes.

Cavaliers

My favorite Cavies show in years. The last minute or so is super effective, and I totally get it. Color guard and corps proper unis are too similar. Looks like a mess, and I think that will continue even when they get it clean. Maybe it's intentional, but I don't find it effective.

And Meow Mix

Phantom

Ballad is beautiful. Closer is fun. All sections are strong visually and musically. I don't understand many of the design choices regarding staging, uniforms, or overall color palette. I'm sorry this is so short. They look and sound great, but I just don't know what they're trying to convey yet.

Cadets

Man, there is a lot going on. Filthy dirty, which is completely understandable.

Like a lot of shows that have so much content, a lot depends on the performance clicking on all cylinders for it to work. Right now, it just doesn't.

All captions are strong, but it's all kind of a big question mark for me right now.

I think the musical choices work well...stoic statues for appian way, they start to have fun with life in villa borghese, and then it all goes chaotic for the poor statues with the nightmarish music choice at the end. That's all fine. But there is nothing that binds it together visually, or at least not enough. I need laurel leaves, classically draped fabric, pillars, at least at the beginning. I like the half-formed ideas with moving and then freezing, and moving and then freezing, but it's not very effective yet. We'll see how this show develops.

Bluecoats

Tilt is in my top 5 favorite DCI shows ever.

Kinetic Noise was great, too. I disagree with all of the people who were calling it "Tilt 2". The musical and visual choices were a lot different, IMO.

Their 2016 production is a WGI show with some brass ostinatos thrown in as an afterthought. They perform the ever living #### out of it, and the kids should be supremely proud of what they're doing.

I know that DCI has been WGI-ified for the past half decade and more, but there's always been a pretty solid line between the two. The Bluecoats effectively obliterated that line tonight. I know that a lot of DCI fans think it's great, but I'm just not a WGI fan.

I subscribed to the full package for DCI Live, so I'll get to see this show several more times. Maybe it'll convert me to a WGI fan. We'll see. It looks like the judges rewarded the direction they've taken, so I'd better get used to it, I guess. They're probably a mortal lock to make top 3, and it will inspire a lot of corps to go there, too, I'm assuming.

This is the most like a dinosaur I've ever sounded.

Crown

I'm thankful for this corps on many levels, and this year's show reminded me of the most importaant for me: they give at least equal weight to musical ideas as they do to visual ones.

Their brass is always strong, but I feel their low brass is particularly strong this year. Klesch is a genius, and this is probably the most understated brass book he's come up with in many years, but I think it's brilliant.

I'm not a guard person, but what they're doing seems very strong to me, as usual. I love how the music can tell the story almost on its own, but the guard takes it to another level.

This is also the first year I can ever remember where I really took notice of their battery and pit. Sounds great.

Of all so far, I like this review best. Probably because we agree the most.

Especially about the Three-C's ('Coats, Cadets, and Crown)