Feelin' Fresno!

Okay, if that's the case, my question becomes: How is it factored? Does the Judge Handbook contain some kind of formula for calculating the number of points to withhold from the corps?

(I don't expect an answer, unless there's a judge lurking about. Just describing the nature of the mystery to me. The way this kind of situation is handled, from a scoring perspective, just seems very opaque).

It is definitely a mystery. Based on the scores, I trust that the judges ARE penalizing corps that don't have full shows on the field, but I don't think there is enough transparency on the severity of the punishment and how it is measured

Um...we had timing penalties a lot early season one year I marched, for going over time. Those were the rules. We would have been penalized for going under time too if we had. No one was crying in their corn flakes. But, I guess you think it's fair BK is judged on a 7 minute performance versus everyone else being judged on a 10 minute performance. That makes sense.

I remember a DCI big name corps from the late 70's-early 80, during the first weekend at the beginning of their decline, that marched their opener, went to parade rest, waited for the timing gun to go off, and then exited the field. They scored in the mid-1teens. Back then there were consequences for being unprepared, and I truly believe that is one life lesson I learned from marching Corps. There are lessons in life it is better to learn sooner than later.

• Like 1

And, here in lies the result of 30 years worth of outcome based education and the dumbing down of everything...Everyone gets a gold star.

Seriously... Talk about overreactions and oversimplifications...

I'm excited that drumcorps is back. Be it 7 minutes, 11 minutes, or 2 minutes. To me, 6 or 7 minutes of Blue Knights is better than 0 minutes of Blue Knights. It sounds like a small minority of people would prefer Blue Knights not to compete until DATR if they don't have 10 minutes of a show on the field.

I want any corps to do what they need to do to have the best possible show on the field at finals. If that means coming out with 75% of a show...that's fine by me. All the complaining makes me want to buy a BK shirt when I get to Indy. I choose to support Blue Knights being the Blue Knights. One of the things I enjoy about BK IS they look and sound different than most groups. If they also put their show on differently, that's okay by me.

Z

• Like 2

This is not Broadway, it's a youth activity. BK will have their full show ok the field by this time next week. In 7 weeks, none of us will give a #### about any of this. Can we please move on?

Never. We will run this point into the ground and beat the dead horse until this season is OVER!

sarcasm.

• Like 2

it's a youth activity. BK will have their full show ok the field by this time next week.

I wish that in the old days when iI went to school, I could tell that professior of mine... " look, I know my completed work assignment was due today, but its no big deal for me, ok ?.. I'll have it" by this time next week for you"..... or tell my work boss.. " look, I know you wanted my full report ready today for you, but its no big deal, all right ?... I'll get it out to you when I'm good and ready... perhaps " this time next week", boss. Besides boss, I marched in Drum Corps youth activity, and I was taught there that getting stuff out there on time, was no big deal, had no real consequences for deadline misses, and nobody much cared about any of that there, and most forgot about the incompleteness, and deadlines missed pretty dam quickly there, after a few weeks, boss ". Boss... boss.... where are you going... boss ? are you listening to me , boss ? Boss,.... hey boss... what are you doing with that hammer in your hand now, boss ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I'm gong to take a wild guess and say the corps members, their staff and everyone involved would have preferred to have the entire show on the field too. But without knowing the circumstances as to why this didn't happen, we would all be making assumptions, and you know what they say about that. How about we give the corps the benefit of the doubt, and provide them with a little encouragement rather than belittle the group without knowing the backstory. Compassion trumps entitlement.

I wish that in the old days when i went to school, I could tell that professior of mine... " look, I know my completed work assignment was due today, but its no hid deal fore me.. I'll have it by this time next week for you"..... or tell my work boss.. " look, I know you expected my report today for you, but its no big deal, all right ?... I;ll get it out to you when I'm good ans ready... perhaps " this time next week. Besides boss, I marched in Drum Corps, and I was taught there that getting stuff out there on time, was no big deal, and nobody much cared about that, and most forgot about the incompleteness, and deadlines pretty dam quickly there, boss ."