Feelin' Fresno!

It's called marketing!

Seriously, the only reason we continue to hold on to the competition aspect of this activity is for the purposes of marketing the events and selling a product to our fans. The contest aspect of drum corps puts butts in the seats, and rightfully so. For me, I would much rather be entertained. Sure it's fun to see who wins each night, but I get from a great performance than I do watching BD finish first all the time.

Eh, it's not that important to me, although it does make me wonder why, for instance, there's a whole page titled "An Introduction to DCI Judging 'By the Numbers'" in the program I bought at tonight's Massillon show.

Which nowhere says, "Tonight's scores don't really mean anything, so don't bother reading this page."

• Like 2

If Blue Knights are putting a bit more difficult of a program on the field than years past, then I say good! Take as long as you need to finish it.

I'd rather see the mm be challenged more and not getting it totally clean, than watching these lower corps continually do easy-ish shows year after year.

Academy comes to mind. They seem to have things going well enough to make Finals for once - but they won't get there if their staff doesn't create a more demanding program.

Blue Knights won't get past 6th if they don't come up with a more demanding show - and if this is what they are doing, then kudos to them.

You missed all the fun last night!!!

Oh, I caught the "replay" the next morning.

Thoughts: I agree with BoyWonder -- in the end, it's all about the kids. Be appreciative for what they work hard to put on the field. I know I couldn't do what they do and I'm darn glad they chose to participate in this activity.

, it's all about the kids. Be appreciative for what they work hard to put on the field.

Exactly. Academy staff and MM's worked dam hard to put a complete show on the field in Fresno for the judges to evaluate and for the paying audience to enjoy. The judges should have been more appreciative of the kids in Academy and placed them over the Blue Knights that was not prepared for a 10 minute, full show, competition in Fresno for either the judges to fully evaluate, nor for the paying customers to fully enjoy.

Edited by BRASSO

Blue Knights seem to be causing quite a stir with their unfinished show. I understand some being angry that the show is not finished, and perhaps the folks at Blue Knights are being strategic. Presenting a more polished incomplete show may be more in their favor than presenting a sloppy finished show. It is a gamble. If the show pleases the judges, they'll prove that slow and steady wins the race or at least ensures a higher placement. If the portions that are not complete are weak, they may be tweaking major portions long after most corps are putting on final touches. Until we see the finished product, it's pure speculation.

For me, judging from West Coast chatter, and what we saw on Thursday as well as last night's scores, I think we can say with certainty that BD, SCV, Crown, and Bloo, could be the top four, and Cadets will clean up their show and while I do not see a medal (reserve the right to change my mind when I see them next week in three contests), I do not see anything below 5th, possibly 4th. For sixth, BK could have challenges from Madison and Cavies, perhaps Phantom and in my heart I'd love to include BAC. When it comes to placing in the top five, tweaking, redesigning, and cleaning up have the advantage over learning new drill. BK could be an exception, and we'll know in a few weeks, but my thought is they may not find themselves placing higher in 2016.