The direction of show design: will all follow Bloo?

It was interesting at the end of the LOS contest at the theaters to see the re-run of BD's 2015 show.

It seemed as if some of the BD visual props were the "source-music" for several key elements of Bluecoats energetic and generally effective 2016 performance: all the overhead performers, the shift of the level of performance from just field level, the process of moving equipment and instruments from one plane to the other.

Yet watching Bloo after Cadets also showed much of the flow, velocity drill from Allentown re-adapted when Bloo hit the usual plane of the football field (i.e., ground level.) But Bloo seemed to maximize the flow in a way that seemed new, surprising and energetic rather than the usual horns play-drum break-horns play again-guard feature-ballad pattern too many corps follow or blend.

My question for your comments:

Will the activity now move in an ensemble to mimic Bloo's formula or will it be left by the judges and DCI politics for each corps to come up with its' own amazing discovery (apples-oranges-kumquats or whatever) rather than imitating the best of BOA and Texasbands or whatever the Blue Devils confused us with in a prior season?

Will Crown or Cadets or Troopers or Phantom or everyone else be allowed the space to be as radical as Bloo might appear on first viewing but not repeat or imitate Bloo? (e.g. doing ziplining between two prop sky-scrapers, etc.) or will all the corps be lemmings until the next champion leads the audience and the judges in a new direction?

How open are the audience and judging to simultaneously variant directions in the activity?

Your thoughts with thought...

Your thoughts with thought...

I think you shouldn't start so many threads.....

• Like 4

I think you shouldn't start so many threads.....

You read it and REPLIED.

It's like someone reading and commenting on a Kardashian article on TMZ complaining about all the articles on that family

In answer to the OP's question - yes, if Coats continue to be so successful with their new "Cirque" approach other corps will mimic elements. Success almost always breeds imitation

• Like 3

I certainly hope not. I am very okay with Bloo going in this direction. What I'm not okay with is the rest of the activity following them. Nope, no thank you.

• Like 5

Bluecoats aren't in a new direction from where we have been... they are just intelligently fielding a more effective gimmick right now. Crown had trampolines and frisbees not too long ago. This isn't really a new direction from that... just a little more successful and appealing out of the gate. Probably because they are focused and concise.

• Like 2

It all depends where they place. It's awesome now and I'm sure they'll do well, possibly even win (fingers crossed actually), but if this for whatever reason falls out of the top 6, no. New ideas only stick when they place well.

It's funny. Over the years, I've never taken to the Bluecoats. Can't tell you why. Just haven't. 2014 gave me pause to reconsider my ignorance of them. It grabbed me pretty well. My appreciation grew even more for them last year -- though I still wouldn't drive 50 miles to a show just to see THEM. This year's show, while also intriguing me from a purely "progression of the activity" angle, also makes me wonder just how much farther they can go. They push the envelope...yes. But -- even envelopes can only hold so much before they break. By the time they reached the half-way point of last night's show, my thoughts became "O.K. We're continuing the trend. We'r'e being different. I see that. But.....besides that, what else do you have?" Just as my appreciation for them ascended appreciably over the past couple of years, I'm finding that there is a real danger of that appreciation having reached its peak, and that same appreciation may very quickly wane. Just one person's view.

Edited by HornTeacher
  • Like 5

Grow up

I certainly hope not. I am very okay with Bloo going in this direction. What I'm not okay with is the rest of the activity following them. Nope, no thank you.

• Like 1

I don't think it is really that far out from where some others are right now. Bloo is not wearing hats, but Cavaliers and BD have gone to the much more themed costume look as well, in their own way.

The big slides are not a huge departure from the Tilt triangles or the spheres from last year.

Everyone is using electronics and amps to various degrees.

BD has been doing staging for years, and is doing a huge amount of non-marching movement this year.

So, maybe it is not all that radical? Perhaps people are reacting mostly to the spandex shirts and lack of headgear, as that is a much softer look than what they have recently worn.

The activity has been overdue for the more athletic outfits for years. The physical demands now are so tremendous that it just makes sense.

• Like 1

Grow up

Geez... you go first. Folks are allowed to share their opinions. This is, after all, a discussion forum.

We know get that you love it, others may not. And that's ok too!

• Like 5