The direction of show design: will all follow Bloo?

NASTY troll. The worst kind of invective. Go away or lose the attitude.

"Don't worry about learning humility - you're not that smart", seems to apply to you here.

feel better? or do i need to show you the buttload of humility you have dumped here over the years LOL

• Like 1

Now, how much a corps uses depends on what they are doing. Carolina Crown has been changing uniforms for a long time. BD always seems to customize their look. But what Bluecoats have done this year is really taking that concept to the next level. It helps that they don't have any longtime traditional uniform look in which alumni might be griping up a storm. For a corps like Cadets, with 81 + years of tradition in a West Point style uniform, it's simply not as easy for them to start from a clean slate. Even their black uni is still mostly a WP style uni. I personally think they need to either go full Maroon and Gold or do a costume that truly works with the show they are performing. Perhaps alternate, but there is NO WAY you will get that alumni base to be OK with always using a costume. Same for Cavaliers and Madison.

This Cadet alum thinks it would have been cool had they put the entire corps in what is now the guard costume, and maybe the guard in something else even further "out there".

• Like 2

The activity has been moving towards theatrics for quite a while, albeit in small ways. I have quite a bit to say on the matter but I'll get to it over the weekend.l when i have my laptop instead of phone at work.

Remember that the judging book is directed sp3cifically to marching arts - if a corps goes too far away from that, scores could suffer. I think BC are toeing that line but that line keeps getting pushed further and further through the years.

We can't have BLAST! - like productions on the field from every corps. But it seems like this is what is happening.

I'll get to more later.

Well, Steve Reich's "Clapping Music" dates to 1972:

20773_0.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGTT-Z4bl4Q&ab_channel=SamS

I haven't seen the Bluecoats show yet, but your comment thread reminded me this.

Also - to weigh in: I love all forms of DCI. It doesn't matter if the other corps follow the Blue Devil's style of show, like what the Bluecoats have done, it doesn't make a show good. Some shows are just excellent and it all comes down to the music to me. I don't care what kind of props you have or whether there's mostly body movement or marching. If the music is put together well and played even better, I'll love it! I've heard incredible things about the coat's show this year, so I'm really excited to get to see them tomorrow!!!

Edited by FancySnack
  • Like 2

This Cadet alum thinks it would have been cool had they put the entire corps in what is now the guard costume, and maybe the guard in something else even further "out there".

Old-school Imperial Guardsmen uniforms??? :tongue:

Seriously.... in 2011 my old team (DCA's Sunrisers) performed "Les Miserables" and outfitted the entire corps in costumes similar to those used in the musical.

I was skeptical at first... but when I saw them that summer, I realized it was a brilliant move. And as it turned out... it was a forerunner to what we are seeing today. So I tend to give the corps trying this stuff a little more leeway. LOL.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 2

It's funny. Over the years, I've never taken to the Bluecoats. Can't tell you why. Just haven't. 2014 gave me pause to reconsider my ignorance of them. It grabbed me pretty well. My appreciation grew even more for them last year -- though I still wouldn't drive 50 miles to a show just to see THEM. This year's show, while also intriguing me from a purely "progression of the activity" angle, also makes me wonder just how much farther they can go. They push the envelope...yes. But -- even envelopes can only hold so much before they break. By the time they reached the half-way point of last night's show, my thoughts became "O.K. We're continuing the trend. We'r'e being different. I see that. But.....besides that, what else do you have?" Just as my appreciation for them ascended appreciably over the past couple of years, I'm finding that there is a real danger of that appreciation having reached its peak, and that same appreciation may very quickly wane. Just one person's view.

I agree 100%

One show in. Let's talk a couple of weeks from now.

Actually, let's talk 8.5 weeks in. There is too much summer ahead of us.

• Like 1

Well, Steve Reich's "Clapping Music" dates to 1972:

I could have sworn there was a snippet of that right at the beginning of the show? Maybe, maybe not?