Band like Drum Corps or Drum Corps Style Bands

The Govies and Cabs are also presenting at a very professional and exact level. Just because a corps is more relaxed at breaking the fourth wall and reaching to an audience doesn't mean they're also not dotting the "i"s and crossing the "T"'s. The quality of both corps brass lines is fantastic and the writing is also pretty techy as well as trying to be fun. :satisfied:

Just stumbled across a whole series of articles about last year's BOA Grand Nationals, published at a blog run by the "Voxitatis Research Foundation", apparently a group publishing education journalism. It may be of interest to readers of this thread.

Have any corps ever muted their contras/tubas like the Centerville band did last year?

Hmmm....I've heard tubas that SOUNDED like they were muted.

And..I've heard tubas that SHOULD have been muted.

:tounge2:

• Like 5

Thank You All.

The Drum Corps style Band's seemed to be, more Fresh, Fan Friendly,and Entertaining. They looked more like they were enjoying themselves. It did not matter weather I recognized the music or not. Where as the Band like Drum Corps looked very Professional. They seemed to be trying to Impress the judges and not the PAYING public. More forced in what they did. Don't get me wrong Both are Excellent.

Maybe thats why I always seem to LIKE : the Govies more than MBI ,or Hawthorn Cabs more than Reading, Renagades more than Empire, or NYC Sky over Bush. (and in : DCI, SCV over BD, or Madison over Cavies, or Phantom over Cadets.). In general anyway.

I guess it is just personal taste than anything else.

You liked Renegades more than Empire for entertainment? wait.. what?

I doubt he's even remotely alone in that assertion.

While Renegades had amazing players, I always thought that Empire had those antics and schticks that made their shows the most entertaining. (again, i've only seen video of them)

While Renegades had amazing players, I always thought that Empire had those antics and schticks that made their shows the most entertaining. (again, i've only seen video of them)

For every fan Empire had for those antics and schticks, there was one who was turned off for those exact same reasons. The term that used to be bandied about was "cheese".

• Like 2

For every fan Empire had for those antics and schticks, there was one who was turned off for those exact same reasons. The term that used to be bandied about was "cheese".

Based on their audience reactions, I think the ratio might be more like 10 to 1.

• Like 1

When I say " liked " it is in General. I will say I liked some of the Empire Gimmick type stuff. Like the Patriotic things. But I did not care so much fore the version of the music all that much. Where as, even though I did not know the names of a lot of what Renegades played. I did like the music and the Style it was presented on the Field. so as I say often. It is mostly " OPINION " I am referring to. I can see and hear the Quality of Both. With Phantom. I just like the over all Look and Presentation over Cadets. Both have such great Quality. Clearly I would not go for a Hot Dog while the Cadets were on. That is what I am talking about.

Now I was watching some High Quality Bands at a Nationals last night. About 5 or 6 and I did not like ANY of them. I don't think I watched 2 full shows. They were all Blue Devis like. I just do not care for BD. So that was a problem for me.

Now to mess things up some. I think Cavaliers " Machine " was one of the Greatest shows ever put out in Jr. Corps. Then in SR Corps was Yankee Rebels, " Requiem For an ERA ". It was one of the BEST ever, 1969 I believe (The FIRST TOTAL THEME show with Special Uniforms and Flags, and Music.) Then Renegades shows.

Edited by 2B or not 2B