LIVE from Sacramento! The Moonlight Classic!

Didn't they have a night off?

Ah you're right. I think the premise still stands. Big jumps are possible

(

This was a wonderful show! I just posted a full review in the Show Review section.

Here are my top 5 highlights, in no particular order:

1. The Academy has a crowd-favorite show that (I think) will be a dark horse to make finals. It was engaging, funny, and beautiful. Unchained Melody was one of the best moments of the night!

2. I like BDs show! The move A LOT! The guard spins A LOT (two of my past critiques of their shows). So much talent, its nuts.

3. Mandarins are continuing the upward trend of improvement - especially the guard.

4. SCV brassline was amazing, and their pit was INCREDIBLE at the beginning of the show.

5. No corps had a bad show and tonight reaffirmed my belief that drum corps is healthy, evolving, and entertaining as always.

10,000 comedians out of work and you want to be one. That's incredibly funny.

This system rewards what you do and how well you do it. The judges believe that BK's show, as brief as it is, has earned that many points. It would be higher if they did more.

99% of Madison's lead tonight came from visual. BK only down .1 in GE and ahead a healthy .65 in music. Down 1.25 in visual, Academy very close.

(must be a really good 7 minutes :p)

SCV with another very strong night in music.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 3

99% of Madison's lead tonight came from visual. BK only down .1 in GE and ahead a healthy .65 in music. Down 1.25 in visual, Academy very close.

(must be a really good 7 minutes :p)

SCV with another very strong night in music.

Head explodes from zero logic...

The Open Class scores are most curious: Golden Empire and Blue Devils B got the exact same scores they'd received in Fresno (how often does that happen?), while Blue Devils B improved by one tenth and Vanguard Cadets improved by two tenths.

My take on last night having only seen the world class corps and knowing nothing about guard or drums and having not researched the show concepts:

• Mandarins - I hate to say this, but I feel like they have taken a step backwards. The horn line sounded worse than last year and the concept is nonexistent. They have these long white poles that seem like they came from the BD Rite of Spring show that are supposed to later be turned into trees. I like that they got rid of the drops or tails on their uniform. They need some pretty serious technique teaching with their marching. I think it might be the worse marching I've seen from a world class corps. I don't see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Academy - I like the show concept a lot, way more entertaining than I've seen from them in a while. The horn line sounded very good compared to what I've heard in the past. I found Unchained Melody to be odd, but to each their own. The had a lot of neat moments with the white chair/tombstones. I see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Pacific Crest - Again, I think they've taken a step backwards. The horn line was not as loud as previous years and their book seemed watered down. I don't get the concept at all other than "train stuff", although I'd say it was better than Mandarins'. I don't see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Madison - Loved it. Best show I've seen from them in a long time. Super entertaining and the horns sound awesome (is Van Doren still there?). I love some of the voice overs, particularly when the guard is using the ropes. The effect with the scaffolding is pretty sweet. I really excited to see where they place in finals. I think it's official, they're back. They are top 10 if not top 8. This was my favorite show of the night.
  • BD - Two years in a row where I enjoy their show. I think it's way more accessible to the general public than it was in the years prior. I like the subtle uniform changes which are traditional enough, although the shoulders do look like they have some football gear on. They seem to be moving a lot more than in years past as well. I can't tell if BD or Cadets have the best use of trombones I've seen so far. I really like how BD has used them this year, specifically musically. While the concept isn't quite there yet, I think it's because they are still adding to the show. I can't wait to see where they go with the moving scaffolding. I have difficulty seeing this up with Cadets, Coats and Crown but I refuse to believe they aren't in the top 3. I will say, that I absolutely abhor "hip-hop" or "club dancing" which this show has in a small part. I hated it last year with the k-pop part and I hate it this year. It's like they have someone from Grambling, Alabama State or FAMU on staff. I'd rather they add more high stepping and drum majors with staffs.
  • SCV - They sound much better. I can't tell if it's a better arrangement that fits them or it's the actual performers, either way the sound is better. The show concept isn't there though. It's some sort of stormy, weather, lightening theme which I guess will come together more in the coming weeks. Having marched a show in DCI with an eerily similar theme and playing music from the same composer I hope it comes together more as the season progresses. I don't see them coming into contention with BD, Coats, Cadets and Crown. I want to applaud them on their uniforms. Someone kept it traditional and I like it.
  • BK - Boy, they certainly have a swagger now that I haven't seen from them before....and they deserve it. The best I can describe their show is SHINY. Holy crap there is light reflecting everywhere. I'd wear sunglasses. I don't think they have the whole show on the field but what I saw sounded and looked pretty good. I have no ability to judge it, but I noticed the pit a lot and felt it did a great job pulling everything together. I have no idea what the concept but was it was kinda crazy. Lots of computer voices, seriously I enjoyed it but just had no idea what was supposed to be communicated. I fell confused, enthralled and kinda wanting to see where it goes next. Overall, it'll be interesting to see if they can crack the top 6 and who gets sacrificed if they do.

Overall I saw a great night of drum corps. I see the trend is to add electronics with a much heavier hand this year. I am concerned about adding so much low-end electronics. It seems every corps is doing it which makes me wonder why they bother marching tubas anymore, especially on any loud/hit moment. I don't think the audiences are picking up how much is coming from the speakers versus the players.

Edited by caliswift
  • Like 2

My take on last night having only seen the world class corps and knowing nothing about guard or drums and having not researched the show concepts:

• Mandarins - I hate to say this, but I feel like they have taken a step backwards. The horn line sounded worse than last year and the concept is nonexistent. They have these long white poles that seem like they came from the BD Rite of Spring show that are supposed to later be turned into trees. I like that they got rid of the drops or tails on their uniform. They need some pretty serious technique teaching with their marching. I think it might be the worse marching I've seen from a world class corps. I don't see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Academy - I like the show concept a lot, way more entertaining than I've seen from them in a while. The horn line sounded very good compared to what I've heard in the past. I found Unchained Melody to be odd, but to each their own. The had a lot of neat moments with the white chair/tombstones. I see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Pacific Crest - Again, I think they've taken a step backwards. The horn line was not as loud as previous years and their book seemed watered down. I don't get the concept at all other than "train stuff", although I'd say it was better than Mandarins'. I don't see them in the top 17 this year.
  • Madison - Loved it. Best show I've seen from them in a long time. Super entertaining and the horns sound awesome (is Van Doren still there?). I love some of the voice overs, particularly when the guard is using the ropes. The effect with the scaffolding is pretty sweet. I really excited to see where they place in finals. I think it's official, they're back. They are top 10 if not top 8. This was my favorite show of the night.
  • BD - Two years in a row where I enjoy their show. I think it's way more accessible to the general public than it was in the years prior. I like the subtle uniform changes which are tradition enough, although the shoulders do look like they have some football gear on. They seem to be moving a lot more than in years past as well. I can't tell if BD or Cadets have the best use of trombones I've seen so far. I really like how BD has used them this year, specifically musically. While the concept isn't quite there yet, I think it's because they are still adding to the show. I can't wait to see where they go with the moving scaffolding. I have difficulty seeing this up with Cadets, Coats and Crown but I refuse to believe they aren't in the top 3. I will say, that I absolutely abhor "hip-hop" or "club dancing" which this show has in a small part. I hated it last year with the k-pop part and I hate it this year. It's like they have someone from Grambling, Alabama State or FAMU on staff. I'd rather they add more high stepping and drum majors with staffs.
  • SCV - They sound much better. I can't tell if it's a better arrangement that fits them or it's the actual performers, either way the sound is better. The show concept isn't there though. It's some sort of stormy, weather, lightening theme which I guess will come together more in the coming weeks. Having marched a show in DCI with and eerily similar theme and playing music from the same composer I hope it comes together more as the season progresses. I don't see them coming into contention with BD, Coats, Cadets and Crown. I want to applaud them on their uniforms. Someone kept it traditional and I like it.
  • BK - Boy, they certainly have a swagger now that I haven't seen from them before....and they deserve it. The best I can describe their show is SHINY. Holy crap there is light reflecting everywhere. I'd wear sunglasses. I don't think they have the whole show on the field but what I saw sounded and looked pretty good. I have no ability to judge it, but I noticed the pit a lot and felt it did a great job pulling everything together. I have no idea what the concept was it was kinda crazy. Lots of computer voices, seriously I enjoyed it but just had no idea what was supposed to be communicated. I fell confused, enthralled and kinda wanting to see where it goes next. Overall, it'll be interesting to see if they can crack the top 6 and who gets sacrificed if they do.

Overall I saw a great night of drum corps. I see the trend is to add electronics with a much heavier hand this year. I am concerned about adding so much low-end electronics. It seems every corps is doing it which makes me wonder why they bother marching tubas anymore, especially on any loud/hit moment. I don't think the audiences are picking up how much is coming from the speakers versus the players.

Thanks for the reviews. Quite informative.

To help you understand BK's show better, I'll leave you with these helpful links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O46xvoTjn4

http://ascendperformingarts.org/blue-knights-announce-2016-show-the-great-event/

• Like 1