"An Evening With The Corps" Discussion Thread

I believe there were also three corps performing in exhibition in Minnesota tonight. Anyone here catch that show?

I was there with Chops, and managed to catch Govies and MBI after, as well as chat with some members and staff. From what I heard, everyone is proud of their performances today, but know there's still work to do.

If there had been scores, I think the corps would have ranked (unsurprisingly):

1. MBI

2. Govies

3. Chops

MBI is rehearsing again this morning and will perform in the same venue tonight for the Vikingland Band Festival parade band awards ceremony. Chops has the day off (thankfully, so I can be with my band), but will be back to work on Wednesday night. I am not sure about Govies plans.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Spandy
  • Like 2

An Evening With The Corps - some fun comments to share, not in order of performance, but let’s say order of highlights that come to mind, day after.

Skyliners field corps brought their game folks - very impressive.

In recent years I was really not happy about electronics and synths in DCA.

Now who coulda thunk that our modern version of Sky, here in 2016 is laying down some kind of hip hop influenced (to my ears) groove with synth and electronic percussion, that was loud - almost too loud - but it worked. It was in your face, we are doing this and come and get some. Great players and it was NOT a doubling of tubas (to my ear) – so very much appreciated. A contrast of electronics and acoustic – done well. Live with it, and enjoy it I tell myself.

You get a big brassy sound and it has power. Signature closer lacked the b**ls needed but gave that mix of nostalgia. A lineup of Sky alumni at the fence, waiting for their performance slot at end paid serious tribute to the field corps that is marching competitive DCA. (I commented to one legendary Alumni that the field corps was Excellent, and he said well not excellent but GOOD – too funny)

And they were rewarded with a score. Looking at recaps I see 2nd in Music Effect, Communication and close to 2nd in Effect Total– I had them 2nd overall actually. Kudos to drum major, very entertaining and exuded the excitement he had to be there. Factor in some bias I suppose.

Bush – great music concept. “Forte-piano”. Many of my comments I must say are heavily influenced by the narration from the announcer. Nice job on these show previews. And for this corps, he drove home the music diversity we were about to experience. Some excellent brass playing at times. Need to see this corps again.

White Sabers - So the storyline narration was really enticing. No spoiler alert. They had beautiful characters for it, but I didn’t see enough storyline brought out. Almost had trouble finding the characters for sure until I saw them troop the stands together. Some opportunity there I think, but as usual I need to see things a few time to catch what is going on, so watch this space. As in last year, the brass line is gorgeous. A great corps, and a threat to climb, as last year.

Fusion – I need to see this show at least 10 more times to capture what everyone is doing. Fusion generates electricity, and verve, and it is a bit 3 ring circus of a show going on – maybe that is why we judge Visual, Drum, Brass in the various categories. I love the pit energy - musical complexity, and they provide show leadership. Drumline cooks, and got some scores that were deserved. Guard beautiful in full out sudden flag spin with big formation. Gorgeous colors with that black turf for a perfect, weather wise, Evening of the Corps. One moment I recall is the guard person at top of the prop (sounds like a club name someday), passing out flags one at a time in time, like weapons to war, but ahhhh yes we are non-violent (well except for certain shows in recent years, including The Hit – yikes, save that story for another time).

Drill is intense, lots of energy, lots of motion, a fusion of bodies moment, some props effects taking shape, where to look?

Power of hornline, probably not as loud as Cabs last year – is that what we strive for? - and not as loud as Bucs and a few others – but they have power. Love it. Fusion has balance and plays loud too. A little formulaic for the ending of the tunes though. You want that big donut and they bring it, and once with surprise extra dynamics.

Nice trumpet solo from son of some vets of a drum corps family. I have him in a corps photo for Fusion first year 2007, when he was half height, no longer. Big Ben – love it.

General

I have no notes, so many of my observations are now lost – that is how my memory works/doesn’t work LOL. But I found myself counting Tubas. Is that a fair way to categorize the corps? Nahhh. But it is an essential indicator of strength, in many ways.

Congrats to Sky. Amazing journey to competitive return, and nostalgia of the Aloooomni is there. A successful show in like a country retreat atmosphere. Others may say out in Bumble we were LOL. Thank goodness for navigators. I heard some great stories from others that seem to not have navigators – is this a DCA fan attribute? I don’t need no stinkin’ navigator. Written MapQuest, asking for the verbal way outta here? My buddy Ricky was that guy – I said no way you’ll hear directions from me. On the way in I was right there at the correctional facility nearby, stayed straight on the road to go by! Serious country roads, kettle corn, great countryside.

Sky was long way from Randall’s Island and the concrete canyons of NYC, but they pulled off a very successful show. First scores of the season – love it.

Wait – I told you this was out of order – LOL.

Bridgemen Alumni were mostly powerful sound of the night! So much fun with that repertoire, their uniforms, and up in your face jamming. Russo in the stands as a respectful 2nd drum major rocks the house, a true entertainer. G Bugles madness – love it. A great show opener.

Sky Alumni - more G bugles pure fun. And that classic street beat, on a summer night, crowd loved it. Some cool high note work from an extra screamer who I had not seen with Sky prior. A nice setting with that repertoire. OK, time for a wrap.

Don

• Like 9

Very good review. If you could make enough money doing that (sadly, you can't) I'd say you COULD quit your day job.

Hope you make some more shows and I'll be looking forward to your reviews.

I won't see an All-Age corps until prelims.

• Like 1

No point in starting a separate thread to note that Kilties got a score in the DCI Whitewater show tonight: 43.6.

About two points better than they started last year (although DCI scoring of DCA corps is erratic). I hope that bodes well for their season!

And tonight Kilties' score went up by nine points to 52.6 in Michigan City.

Which, if it reflects that much improvement in one day, is awesome. But I hope they'll forgive me for suspecting "erratic" DCI scoring.

(Which admittedly, could be truer of Saturday than Sunday.)

Edited by N.E. Brigand

I was there with Chops, and managed to catch Govies and MBI after, as well as chat with some members and staff. From what I heard, everyone is proud of their performances today, but know there's still work to do.

If there had been scores, I think the corps would have ranked (unsurprisingly):

1. MBI

2. Govies

3. Chops

MBI is rehearsing again this morning and will perform in the same venue tonight for the Vikingland Band Festival parade band awards ceremony. Chops has the day off (thankfully, so I can be with my band), but will be back to work on Wednesday night. I am not sure about Govies plans.

Edited for spelling

Is this the " GOVIES " ) FIRST DCA OPEN CLASS show in their First year in that Division?

Edited by 2B or not 2B

Sorry Double post

Edited by 2B or not 2B

2b,

Yes,

As a matter of fact if the min. 35 member rule was in tact in 2004, their first year at DCA finals, they probably wouldn't be allowed to compete.