What an incredible show! Huge crowd, every Corps put forth a good show, and the weather cooled down in the evening. A perfect summer evening! Below are my thoughts. Feel free to ask questions. The talent level and performance of ALL corps is simply unreal - if anyone thinks Drum Corps is dying, well... you clearly aren't seeing what I am seeing. Wahoo! I didn't take notes, just writing from memory, so please forgive the lack of detail.
Open Class

Golden Empire - Bakersfield, CA

-This Open Class corps is doing great things! I'm glad they are expanding their tour this year and hope they make it to championships next year.

Blue Devils C - Concord, CA
-Cute, Adorable. What else can you say?

Blue Devils B - Concord, CA
-Drumline is insane, rest of the show was good; I enjoyed it, but a lack of "wow moments" for me. Feels like the show has limited room to grow

Vanguard Cadets - Santa Clara, CA
-Great show! I had them slightly ahead of BDB tonight (just checked the scores, I was right!) I think this show has a lot of room to grow

World Class Corps

Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
-They have been on a rise the past few years and continue that trend again this year. They have never looked or sounded this good, this early ever. A very special shout-out to the guard who is MILES ahead of previous years. The corps moves a lot this year which is an improvement from last year. I really wish they would stop using original music, which it is good, I feel like using relatable music might be the hook that pushes them up a few slots. I think they were better than Pacific Crest. It will be interesting to see where this show goes this year.

The Academy - Tempe, AZ
-Perhaps the biggest surprise of the night. The show connects so well with the audience, I believe it will be a fan favorite all season. Not only is the show entertaining, it looks beautiful and sounds beautiful. Unchained Melody was one of the most beautiful moments of the entire night. Huge crowd reaction! Call me crazy, but I think this show might be a dark horse to make finals.

Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA
In the past, I feel like PC's show design has held this corps back - this year, I think it is much improved. Their show is called UNION and is about how the railroad connected America. I liked it, but I don't think there is enough there to propel the corps forward this year.

Madison Scouts - Madison, WI
Judas! This show had a,lot of power. Madison is starting very strong this year. Some good moments, especially when the crowd gets into the familiar music from Jesus Christ Superstar. Emotional show. Big step up this year for Madison. Very strong guard!
Blue Devils - Concord, CA
-The other surprise of the night (for me!) was that I enjoyed BD's show! They move A LOT. The guard spins A LOT. So much talent in this corps, especially the guard and drumline. I don't mean this as any kind of a knock, but I don't know if this show has the potential to win a championship. I feel like it's missing something to make it truly special. I fell like Bluecoats and Crown will be battling with BD all season.

Santa Clara Vanguard - Santa Clara, CA
-I call this show Elegant Nature. Very beautiful show. I know nothing about pit, but WOW - the their feature beginning of the show is so pretty. The hornline is FANTASTIC. So beautiful. I think this show was so enjoyable to watch. Not that they went anywhere, but I feel like SCV is back!

Blue Knights - Denver, CO
-I love glitter, so therefore I liked this show :) They sounded beautiful. I don't want to sound crazy, but I think they might have one of the strongest horn lines in DCI. The guard was also great and their multi-colored flags were so pretty. Some of the vocal tracks seemed a little disjointed, but perhaps it will all make sense once the full show is on the field.Their show wasn't finished, so it was hard to get a firm feel for it, but wow - what a great show!
  • Like 5

Thank you for your Review (Wish I had a memory as good as yours) lol Nice job and very much appreciated. Cheers Mate..