American Tradition in Allentown (June 30 2016)

Will C2 receive a score tonight?

I guess not.

• Like 1

I'm most bothered by the GE spread. Visual is cleaning up, music was close but that's a big spread in GE.

George, do you see a show with potential to grow? We know how stunning they were this time last year and came to a crashing halt

This show most definitely has more room to grow than last year. Cadets were scary clean at this point last year, and that's simply not the case right now. I think they should continue making the changes they need to clarify the basic thematic "storyline" and then make the focus of the rest of the season to make the show signature Cadets squeaky clean.

I think Bloo is actually unusually clean for this point in the season. I have no doubt their awesome design team will find ways to keep things interesting, but I see Cadets having more room to grow.

• Like 1

This show most definitely has more room to grow than last year. Cadets were scary clean at this point last year, and that's simply not the case right now. I think they should continue making the changes they need to clarify the basic thematic "storyline" and then make the focus of the rest of the season to make the show signature Cadets squeaky clean.

I think Bloo is actually unusually clean for this point in the season. I have no doubt their awesome design team will find ways to keep things interesting, but I see Cadets having more room to grow.

Ok. GE spread was larger than it was. Hopefully cleaning will close that a bit and the visual caption gap. Music close already. How was crowd response to Cadets?

That would be understandable, if this were the first show where people were complaining about a corps whose pit was too loud. Heck, even Steve Rondinaro complained about Boston's pit at the season opener, and in almost every show thread since, there have been grumbles about this or that pit drowning out the rest of the corps. You almost never hear a complaint the other way round, so I stand by my observation that corps tend to err in the direction of too much electronics rather than too little, and my confusion that in all the time since 2009, they haven't learned that lesson.

Well, I think we should be realistic and say that the errs are in both directions... However Audience members are simply unaware of things that are too soft because... they are too soft... they can't hear it! So, the data of "viewer complaints" would never skew to the "that sample/synth/microphone balance was too soft" unless that person had the understanding of the show that a designer would. Things being to loud is much easier to call out/complain about than things being too soft so that observation is a bit biased. And so is the claim that the designers simply "didn't learn their lesson"...

Edited by charlie1223

That would be understandable, if this were the first show where people were complaining about a corps whose pit was too loud. Heck, even Steve Rondinaro complained about Boston's pit at the season opener, and in almost every show thread since, there have been grumbles about this or that pit drowning out the rest of the corps. You almost never hear a complaint the other way round, so I stand by my observation that corps tend to err in the direction of too much electronics rather than too little, and my confusion that in all the time since 2009, they haven't learned that lesson.

Amplified pits were legal starting in 2004 (though I don't recall many using them, and they certainly weren't a problem).

George, do you see a show with potential to grow? We know how stunning they were this time last year and came to a crashing halt

a lot of room to grow... the closer changes give me some hope, smart and positive and creative. I do think the closer needs some breather put into it... with the changes might provide.

I also feel the main impact of the ballad needs completely restaged / reworked with a nice push/flex drill with the guard scattered around it

Frankly I also think the front stage and ramp could be removed entirely and you'd lose nothing, might be a net positive - put the focus on the field

Amplified pits were legal starting in 2004 (though I don't recall many using them, and they certainly weren't a problem).

You're right; I was thinking of 2009 when electronic instruments were allowed. In my view, that's when the problem got serious (the term "thunderous goo" was coined here early in 2010). As for the change made in 2004, there were some grumbles about pits sounds becoming too predominant. And lots of corps quickly amplified their pits. Even the Cavaliers, who arguably had the best front ensembles of the early 2000s, stated that they wouldn't amplify in 2004 because they didn't need to, but changed their tune mid-season, presumably because they were being hurt by the judges. But the biggest complaints about amplification from 2004-2008 were all about amplified voice: especially Crown in 2004 (not so much the "Seasons" singing but the beat poetry), Blue Devils (and to a much lesser degree, Cadets) in 2005; and Cadets in 2006, 2007, and 2008. (Generally-admired uses of amplified voice included Bluecoats and Crown in 2007.)

• Like 1