American Tradition in Allentown (June 30 2016)

It's odd to me that this is ever a problem anymore. Seven years of many, many people observing this and corps still have trouble getting it right, especially early in the season. Rule of thumb ought to be: we need to turn down the electronics volume.

Cadets seem to go too loud as the default and then dial it back.

I think I'm going to be in 4th or 5th with my one man show titled 'Sounds I heard today'. I'll be holding auditions soon.

Sound very cutting edge. Oh so TODAY

So basically scores look like this for tonight:

74.75-Bluecoats

72.4-Cadets

69.1-Phantom

65.6-Crossmen

64.55-Boston

54.3-Surf

Pretty happy with Phantom's score. No, they aren't going to medal and they probably won't even compete for 5th, but I think they're in a better position than they were last year.

• Like 3

The Cadets just changed a LARGE amount of their closer. So it's understandable that out of all segments of the show the closer was the segment that had balances a little off tonight. Everyone who knows will tell you balancing a pit is much more than just "turning it down" And the process takes more than just 2 days to get right.

Agreed. The opener was perfect. Much better than in ST

Pretty happy with Phantom's score. No, they aren't going to medal and they probably won't even compete for 5th, but I think they're in a better position than they were last year.

Such a better show. Personally I love it.

Agreed. The opener was perfect. Much better than in ST

George, do you see a show with potential to grow? We know how stunning they were this time last year and came to a crashing halt

The Cadets just changed a LARGE amount of their closer. So it's understandable that out of all segments of the show the closer was the segment that had balances a little off tonight. Everyone who knows will tell you balancing a pit is much more than just "turning it down" And the process takes more than just 2 days to get right.

That would be understandable, if this were the first show where people were complaining about a corps whose pit was too loud. Heck, even Steve Rondinaro complained about Boston's pit at the season opener, and in almost every show thread since, there have been grumbles about this or that pit drowning out the rest of the corps. You almost never hear a complaint the other way round, so I stand by my observation that corps tend to err in the direction of too much electronics rather than too little, and my confusion that in all the time since 2009, they haven't learned that lesson.

First Nocoats, now Nocaps... What next, the "No Pants Band?" :silly:

I do what I can. I'll be at the Clifton show tomorrow night for your listening and viewing pleasure...😉